996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

#$@! Blew my engine today #&*#@!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 01:03 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

3cyltrbo: What was the amount Jake paid for the used engine taken out of the car?
He asked me to keep that confidential, so I will respect that, since we negotiated the price as a private-party transaction. After all, what is a fair price under one circumstance may well not be a fair price under other circumstances. I feel that the price he paid me was fair.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Its not even available.. All the factory has to offer these days is a short block assembly, complete engine were discontinued a year ago.

I had a customer last week who wasn't willing to wait for my engine. He went to the dealer and paid 19K for a short block and 11K more for his old engine to be used to complete that short block. They didn't even rebuild his heads before they installed them on the new short block assembly.

His core charge was 15K. He won't know if he will receive any or all of that back until the engine goes to Germany for evaluation- they'll be keeping his 15K for 3 months or so.

Right now he has 45K invested, still has stock internals, still has 3 dollar rod bolts and still has the same thing that he had that failed. But he got it quick, I guess he hasn't learned that haste makes waste yet. He'll make a good poster child.
Does this mean you'll be doing some price adjustment soon too?
Old 02-06-2015, 02:43 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi Cuda

Sorry to hear about your car, looks like part of the crankcase to me and where the oil is i would say your main chain between ims and crank has snapped.

whatever you do dont let the garage turn it over , get the engine out and tear it down, the crankase could be repaired and you might be lucky with the internal damage if it stopped so abruptly.

Good Luck
Old 02-06-2015, 02:48 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Noz1974
Hi Cuda

Sorry to hear about your car, looks like part of the crankcase to me and where the oil is i would say your main chain between ims and crank has snapped.

whatever you do dont let the garage turn it over , get the engine out and tear it down, the crankase could be repaired and you might be lucky with the internal damage if it stopped so abruptly.

Good Luck
Did you read this entire thread???

Cuda has already had his engine replaced as is back doing the voodoo he does so well
Old 02-07-2015, 11:31 PM
dwdunn
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good Outcome

I just found and reviewed this thread.
What a great outcome for a lousy situation!
When my IMS bearing went [a year ago last dec.] there were/are no engines to be found.
The engine is going down to Vision Motorsports for a rebuild/enhancement.
You are very fortunate.
I was not aware of this forum when mine went.
It is going down to vision [hopefully] in March. If it weren't for inheritance money, this would not happen.
I will start a new thread when I take the engine to Southern Ca. [Laguna Hills] and will include pictures, numbers, etc.
I am going for the full meal deal.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:10 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

^^^ Yes, please do start a thread. That will be very interesting to follow. At one point I had considered Vision Motorsports.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:38 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Does this mean you'll be doing some price adjustment soon too?
I don't know.. Typically in March of each year I do cost analysis and see if adjustments need to be made. I haven't changed my prices since 2008.

If anything they'll be going up. In the early days my engine was 2X the cost of the factory crate engine, and we stayed slammed; right through the recession, too.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I don't know.. Typically in March of each year I do cost analysis and see if adjustments need to be made. I haven't changed my prices since 2008.

If anything they'll be going up. In the early days my engine was 2X the cost of the factory crate engine, and we stayed slammed; right through the recession, too.
re: "we stayed slammed"...

As you are I'm sure already aware of, if you have way more business than you can handle, if the lead times are way out there, that is a sign you can raise prices.

Sure you lose some business as the price increase drives some would be customers away, but you make more on the business you keep.

And lead times drop which will tend to bring in more business as reasonable turn around times are important to some customers.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
re: "we stayed slammed"...

As you are I'm sure already aware of, if you have way more business than you can handle, if the lead times are way out there, that is a sign you can raise prices.

Sure you lose some business as the price increase drives some would be customers away, but you make more on the business you keep.

And lead times drop which will tend to bring in more business as reasonable turn around times are important to some customers.
There's always an alternative for those who want something sooner. The new SSF engine program will fill the demands for those who want something on demand that has Nickies and an IMS Retrofit without all the other things that make up my engines.

My experience with raising prices to control demand isn't positive. Charge someone more and they become that much harder to please and that much more demanding. Neither of those are things that I work with very well.

I've been at this all of my life and I've learned that profit isn't what can drive a business like this. People have to feel like they got their money's worth and that they aren't paying for someone's success.

Because of that, I'll never adjust pricing to control demand. I am in this business because I want to be, and there's nothing worse than someone saying "I paid xx.xx for this and..........".

The more it cost the less fun it is and the more liability we see stem from each and every encounter that we have.

If this was just a job, just a business and didn't have my heart and soul into it, it could be ran more like any other business and we'd be able to play the game like every other business out there. That's not the case, never has been, and never will be.

My way has worked since 1998 and through the giant recession we grew and added employees while others died. Who appreciated what we do are the guys that want a true development program behind their engine. They don't want something run of the mill that's built marginally and attempted to be sold as what we create. That's what's sprouted up in the last few years and people that don't buy into flashy ads know the difference. You'll never see an ad from us for an engine in a magazine. The last time I ran one was 2009, and that was for 3 issues in Excellence.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There's always an alternative for those who want something sooner. The new SSF engine program will fill the demands for those who want something on demand that has Nickies and an IMS Retrofit without all the other things that make up my engines.

My experience with raising prices to control demand isn't positive. Charge someone more and they become that much harder to please and that much more demanding. Neither of those are things that I work with very well.

I've been at this all of my life and I've learned that profit isn't what can drive a business like this. People have to feel like they got their money's worth and that they aren't paying for someone's success.

Because of that, I'll never adjust pricing to control demand. I am in this business because I want to be, and there's nothing worse than someone saying "I paid xx.xx for this and..........".

The more it cost the less fun it is and the more liability we see stem from each and every encounter that we have.

If this was just a job, just a business and didn't have my heart and soul into it, it could be ran more like any other business and we'd be able to play the game like every other business out there. That's not the case, never has been, and never will be.

My way has worked since 1998 and through the giant recession we grew and added employees while others died. Who appreciated what we do are the guys that want a true development program behind their engine. They don't want something run of the mill that's built marginally and attempted to be sold as what we create. That's what's sprouted up in the last few years and people that don't buy into flashy ads know the difference. You'll never see an ad from us for an engine in a magazine. The last time I ran one was 2009, and that was for 3 issues in Excellence.

In spite of recent 996 IMS failures, are you seeing fewer failures on your end due to better awareness? I'm speaking about frequent oil changes, IMS retrofits, IMS Guardians and of course, robust bearings that will not fail (I figure the IMSB's that are prone to failure are limited and many have already failed). Add in 996 mortality from other events (misc engine failures and accidents) and my guess would be fewer occurrences of failures going forward.

However, time takes its toll, especially on mechanical things. If Porsche no longer has a crate engine for the 996, and the only alternative is a rebuild, Flat 6 or elsewhere, AND, if the cost keeps going up and the 996 value keeps going down, how much longer will people be willing to drop $15-20k into their 996?

I guess there is no question here, just thinking outloud on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon (83 degrees here today). Top is down and I'm taking my baby for a ride in a few.

Anyway, Jake...hope you are feeling better. And Cuda...I hope your break in period is almost over!
Old 02-09-2015, 01:17 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
In spite of recent 996 IMS failures, are you seeing fewer failures on your end due to better awareness? I'm speaking about frequent oil changes, IMS retrofits, IMS Guardians and of course, robust bearings that will not fail (I figure the IMSB's that are prone to failure are limited and many have already failed). Add in 996 mortality from other events (misc engine failures and accidents) and my guess would be fewer occurrences of failures going forward.

However, time takes its toll, especially on mechanical things. If Porsche no longer has a crate engine for the 996, and the only alternative is a rebuild, Flat 6 or elsewhere, AND, if the cost keeps going up and the 996 value keeps going down, how much longer will people be willing to drop $15-20k into their 996?

I guess there is no question here, just thinking outloud on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon (83 degrees here today). Top is down and I'm taking my baby for a ride in a few.

Anyway, Jake...hope you are feeling better. And Cuda...I hope your break in period is almost over!
The majority of those who call me with a failure haven't been made aware of anything. They don't know issues exist until they start googling after the issue.

Yes, better awareness does help some. Today what we see more and more of is cylinder failures, timing chain failures and cam, lifter failures. My master linked chains helped a lot with those, because we can carry our preventative work.

There's no way to avoid a cylinder failure, so awareness does no good.

We are busier now than ever, and is hasn't slowed at all over the winter. We are busier now,and vehicle value isn't determining point for the program. There are folks on my build board now that have a 5-6K car and they fittin it with an engine that costs 20K to start.
My buyers love the cgar. They want to keep it, and they know they can't buy a car this good for what my engine costs.

That said, I saw more failures last year than any other year yet. We only saw TWO preemptive reconstruction builds all year and we had seen 13 elective builds in 2013 and 15 in 2012.

This year I am trying hard to score preemptive work rather than failures, but its not working. I filed my 40th 2015 failure into the log report from a consultation on Friday.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:50 AM
gricec
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The majority of those who call me with a failure haven't been made aware of anything. They don't know issues exist until they start googling after the issue.

Yes, better awareness does help some. Today what we see more and more of is cylinder failures, timing chain failures and cam, lifter failures. My master linked chains helped a lot with those, because we can carry our preventative work.

There's no way to avoid a cylinder failure, so awareness does no good.

We are busier now than ever, and is hasn't slowed at all over the winter. We are busier now,and vehicle value isn't determining point for the program. There are folks on my build board now that have a 5-6K car and they fittin it with an engine that costs 20K to start.
My buyers love the cgar. They want to keep it, and they know they can't buy a car this good for what my engine costs.

That said, I saw more failures last year than any other year yet. We only saw TWO preemptive reconstruction builds all year and we had seen 13 elective builds in 2013 and 15 in 2012.

This year I am trying hard to score preemptive work rather than failures, but its not working. I filed my 40th 2015 failure into the log report from a consultation on Friday.
40 Failures since the 1st of the year?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:59 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
And Cuda...I hope your break in period is almost over!
Well, I don't know that a break in period really applies to a used motor, but I've been taking it a bit easy for a bit. Haven't been much over 100 mph. on it. So far, have driven about 400 miles on the replacement motor. No funny sounds, etc. Feels and sounds exactly like my original motor, which is a good thing.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

While there should be no need to break in a used engine you are wise to treat the engine a bit easy to begin with.

The engine is an unknown to you and you want time to develop some confidence in the engine that is it going to be ok.

You are in effect giving the car/engine a shakedown. I do this after every service and especially a repair of some kind just to ensure nothing's amiss.

I almost hate to ask, but are you going to treat the engine to an "early" oil/filter service?
Old 02-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macster
The engine is an unknown to you and you want time to develop some confidence in the engine that is it going to be ok.

You are in effect giving the car/engine a shakedown. I do this after every service and especially a repair of some kind just to ensure nothing's amiss.

I almost hate to ask, but are you going to treat the engine to an "early" oil/filter service?
Yeah, a bit overly paranoid here at the moment. Every funny noise I hear puts me on "high alert" mode. So far, it turns out that every funny noise I have heard has been coming from another nearby car.

I usually do my oil changes every 3k miles. If wisdom suggests an earlier one for the first change, I have no problem with that.

Quick Reply: #$@! Blew my engine today #&*#@!