996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Today's Craigslist Finds...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2020 | 02:26 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrdeezy
The test drive thing is always an awkward subject. I have sold a lot of cars and sometimes you get people who are wasting time. I usually say no test drives, but will change my mind easily if I can tell the person is interested and not a jackass in person. (if they are coming from far away, do a ppi, etc) If someone shows up and immediately wants a drive, its gonna be a no. If its an economy car or something less finicky, have at it. But when a car can be damaged very easily by carelessness like any Porsche could be, I usually won't do test drives and risk my property on the whims of total strangers. I think the guy is just trying to weed out the time wasters.
Showing up is half the battle IMO. I do it with detailing all the time, I get people to come for estimates, they either will and then they are invested or they won't and I don't have to deal with them anymore. I've never had someone just show up to look at a car and immediately ask to test drive but I would agree with that being a red flag. Usually, we chat, go over everything and look at any paperwork I have for the car then I will offer them a drive or take them out so they can pay attention to any noises and then swap seats. I've have had people who honestly didn't even want to drive or felt uncomfortable about it.
The following users liked this post:
mrdeezy (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020 | 04:29 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Originally Posted by bpoteat
No test driving unless you are a serious buyer with full asking price in cash.
Is this real? Do people really expect someone to meet a stranger with 25k in cash?
No way. The guy is a thief at worst or a total pain in the *** to deal with at best. He's saying "I don't trust anyone to not screw me over but I expect everyone to trust me enough to bring me $25K cash sight unseen". Huge red flag.
Old 02-07-2020 | 05:53 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

Originally Posted by ssherman68
No way. The guy is a thief at worst or a total pain in the *** to deal with at best. He's saying "I don't trust anyone to not screw me over but I expect everyone to trust me enough to bring me $25K cash sight unseen". Huge red flag.
He's really just saying that he doesn't want someone coming over and expecting to be able to drive his older expensive to fix Porsche without some skin in the game. Apparently from your previous posts you are looking for a 996. It's a whole different ball game when the shoe is on the other foot.
Old 02-07-2020 | 06:42 PM
ssherman68
Racer

He's really just saying that he doesn't want someone coming over and expecting to be able to drive his older expensive to fix Porsche without some skin in the game. Apparently from your previous posts you are looking for a 996. It's a whole different ball game when the shoe is on the other foot.
Showing proof of funds is one thing. Expecting someone to show up with $25K cash is another. Sure, a buyer could break his car. But if that same buyer shows up at a stranger's house with $25K cash, he is in a MUCH more vulnerable position than the seller.The seller may not even have the car, it's easy to post a CL ad with pics taken from the internet.

If the buyer were to break the car, what's the seller going to do, take his cash? It becomes an insurance issue at that point.

I get that it's tough to let someone drive your Porsche. I know I was nervous about asking to drive when I looked at my first one. The second guy was another story. He said right off the bat he'd have me drive because he'd already had a few mimosas, haha. When I started looking, I made sure I had $$ transferred into one of my checking accounts so that I could show a seller I had the money by logging into my banking app in front of him.

If this person really doesn't trust people that much, CL is the last place he should post. In my experience I've gotten more flaky/sketchy people off of CL than anywhere else.

I can't imagine this guy would submit the car to a PPI...
Old 02-07-2020 | 08:21 PM
Swenny
Racer

A test drive is as necessary as trying on a pair of shoes before you buy. Anyone should know that. Some people have an issue with communication,for example I had emailed another person for parts today and the ad shows the items in a photo so I had asked for availability, condition and price. Four emails later and I still haven't received the asking prices. He can keep his stuff. I'm not angry, but the ad did show signs of a slug selling stuff that he wasn't aware of the value or what he had so shame on me. Pay attention to the signs. My new motto. ~
Old 02-09-2020 | 04:31 PM
Wahooz
Intermediate

Just listed my Carrera 10 spokes (17x7 and 17x9) and original mufflers. NoVA/DC area

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...072191912.html

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...072205987.html
Old 02-09-2020 | 05:49 PM
craig66
Pro

The test drive thing is always an awkward subject. I have sold a lot of cars and sometimes you get people who are wasting time. I usually say no test drives, but will change my mind easily if I can tell the person is interested and not a jackass in person. (if they are coming from far away, do a ppi, etc) If someone shows up and immediately wants a drive, its gonna be a no. If its an economy car or something less finicky, have at it. But when a car can be damaged very easily by carelessness like any Porsche could be, I usually won't do test drives and risk my property on the whims of total strangers. I think the guy is just trying to weed out the time wasters.

And here is where I beg to differ. The reason I came to "your" house was for one simple reason - The test drive. I can look at pictures on the internet and you can PDF me documents but at the end of the day getting in to the car, turning it on, hearing what I need to hear and more importantly not hearing what I dont want to hear (ticking etc) and feeling the way it feels on the road is what is going to have me take the next step. If I am taking time off from work, finding your house, driving anything from 20 miles to 100 miles the reality is the only thing I want at that point is a test drive. If it does not feel right all the documentation on earth is not going to entice me. If I have to beg for a test drive I am out of there so fast you have no idea and when I do leave your house you really did lose a potential sale as I don't waste my time going to a house without a very good likelihood of buying the car.

No different to a dealership. When I go to a dealer I have done my research in fact I might know more about the car then he does. I am there for one thing and one thing only - lets get on the road.

And no I am not a jerk I am always very polite and friendly but asking you more than once for a test drive - not happening.
I am also not showing you proof of my ability to pay. When the time comes that proof will be in the form of a bank guaranteed check

When I bought my 996 I had lined up two cars. They were 10 miles apart and both were around 40 miles from my home. Took the day off of work and agreed to meet one before lunch and one after. First person starts giving me attitude about taking a drive and showing proof that I can afford it. Drove up in my leased mini. Sure I could have pulled out my Boxster key and my Boxster card for my warrantee and sure I could have pulled out my ID for the two hospitals I have privileges in but that was not happening. I politely thanked him for his time and left. An hour later I was at the second house where I was immediately offered a test drive and two hours later we were drinking a beer as we arranging a PPI after giving him a $500 deposit returnable if the PPI failed (My idea not his) and two days later I was driving my new to me 996.

The difference was not about the car in fact I slightly preferred the first car...it was about my dignity. First person did not care about it and so lost my business.
Old 02-09-2020 | 06:14 PM
FASTTRIP
Instructor

Did you ever price a 996 Turbo gearbox rebuild? You’ll think twice if every Tom , Dick, and Harry wants to try driving it , Making sure a person has the Funds is not Being offensive , maybe your truly walking from a well kept car that’s is has been maintained and kept.
Old 02-09-2020 | 07:05 PM
craig66
Pro

Originally Posted by FASTTRIP
Did you ever price a 996 Turbo gearbox rebuild? You’ll think twice if every Tom , Dick, and Harry wants to try driving it , Making sure a person has the Funds is not Being offensive , maybe your truly walking from a well kept car that’s is has been maintained and kept.
By no means am I suggesting you leave your keys outside in a dish with an offer to all to try but there are ways to politely inquire about a persons skill with stick and even put restrictions on how fast they can go or how high up the Rev meter they can go without taking a "No Fund proof No ride" approach.

Yes you are right there is a chance I walked away from a well maintained car but I can tell you with certainty that he walked away from a sale. As it turned out I walked into another equally well maintained car.

I have not tried to sell a car in person and so I am not sure how I would approach it but I would like to believe that I would approach it in the way I would want to be approached. There has to be a happy medium.
The reason I have not tried to sell in person is as I dont want to have to deal with this and so I agree to make less and just do a trade in but if you are looking to maximize your returns then this is the nature of the beast

If some one is purely in for the joy ride it is very easy to walk into a Porsche dealership and get into a brand new 911 or even a Taycan with dealers falling over their feet to take you for a drive. I don't think you need to find an old 996 to trash.
​​​​​​​
As an aside I was in a dealership helping a friend with a Macan where the salesman was literally begging me to take a Taycan for a drive and on other test drives I have had a salesman literally shout at me for not opening up a brand new 911 that has not been broken in when I refused to redline it.
Old 02-09-2020 | 07:24 PM
craig66
Pro

Originally Posted by FASTTRIP
Also how does having the funds translate a) into me being able drive stick so that I don't destroy your gearbox b) have the respect for your property such that I don't destroy your gear box or c) show that I have any intention of actually buying your car.

I could show you $25K in an account and still destroy your gear box and walk away.

I know its a tough situation but to quote the movies: This is the life you chose (when you decided to sell rather than trade in)
Old 02-10-2020 | 01:44 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

https://www.auto.com/cars/porsche-91...00#ad_carousel

not CL but seems cheap for a coupe...wonder what the issues are?
Old 02-10-2020 | 03:12 PM
Swenny
Racer

So here's an ad locally (in my area) that wants the cash in hand and no joyrides! What's he afraid of?? Is he an easy deal and he knows it? Or just not experienced enough to sell his own vehicle?

"Any ridiculous offer will be ignored
No dealers
No test drives without cash in hand
No joyriders
No scams"

Old 02-10-2020 | 06:28 PM
tyeske
Advanced

Originally Posted by Optionman1
https://www.auto.com/cars/porsche-91...00#ad_carousel

not CL but seems cheap for a coupe...wonder what the issues are?
I test drove that C2 in the summer of 2018. It was in very rough shape inside and out. I don't recall the specifics anymore but it was bad. I think it is the same dealer as it was then. Back then I think they were asking $16,900.
Old 02-10-2020 | 10:02 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Too good to be true? I'm not looking for a cab but this makes me seriously consider it. I'm guessing the interior looks like it was lived in by bears?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...072699272.html

Last edited by ssherman68; 02-10-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2020 | 05:17 PM
sgt1372
Pro

I'd never bring cash (in any amount) to see/test drive a car but I'd ask for a ride as a passenger if I was interested. I've done this for both cars and motorcycles w/o regret.

I bought my 2000 C4 Cab 4 months ago off of Craigslist after a "test drive" in the passenger seat. Consignment sale from a dealer. It was in good shape externally and the test drive didn't raise any red flags. $15k w/90k miles. Bought it on the spot w/o a PPI.

Lots of service records including the IMS, Fixing a few things that I was already aware of based on my inspection of the vehicle. I've bought a lot of used cars, motorcycles and trucks in my driving eligible life (over 50 yrs and about 100 vehicles) and haven't made a "mistake" yet.

Knock on wood . . .

Last edited by sgt1372; 02-11-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Today's Craigslist Finds...