Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

We Need Engine Cores! A rash of huge failures leaves our core bank "Bankrupt"!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:26 PM
911mater
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

halo,i agree with you,about jake ,he is a good guy,i have talked to him on the phone also,and he is really knowledgeable and nice,,btw,jake nice article in panorama,my point was all the bad press about the car,we are talking about 10 to 14 year old cars and of course they break and they are not an investment, but his post was about "we need engines cores",but as soon he posted ,some people start jumping about how bad these car are and if you start the car without dt40 your engine will crack,how porsches' are not unbreakable,that was my point and i agree if you can't take it, sell the car.won't be long before we see someone saying "my tail light went out twice,should i flatbed it and bring it to jake?lol
Old 02-22-2014, 09:58 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm still waiting for the IBF(intermediate blinker fluid) Guardian to come out. Only then can I sleep peacefully. I believe Jake is working on a patent as we speak.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:55 PM
jrrhdmust
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

So these 8 pages are pretty amazing - I am continually amazed at the Jake hatred and what people read into posts on the Internet.

I bought my 996 and planned the day I purchased it to do the Flat6 innovation IMS solution. Did I have too probably not, but I planned to drive the car and insure it was reliable. Yes I considered other solutions, but I went with Jake because of his reputation. Man am I glad I did as part of his inspection he found parts of my timing chain in the sump. So he caught it before the engine blew. So he did an engine refresh for me and with his extra parts worked with me. A very very pleasant experience! He has the best customer service!

When I drove to his shop, he has numerous cars waiting for engine work. I did not take his post as these cars suck, but rather in my line of work I need more cores. I am thankful he has spent his own time and money fixing this great cars and helping us keep them on the road. Does he profit from it? I sure hope so! He had the brains to solve the problems, and the ***** to go into business fixing our cars.

Do I have more money in my car than it's worth? Yup, and I am terrified when soccer moms tailgate me in the rain in their minivans that are not worth $5k. However, I own a Porsche 911 and I love the car, and drive the hell out of it!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:01 PM
alpine003
Banned

It's great to see these Jake supporters(a lot lately with low post counts) and Fan boi's coming out of the woodwork but let's be clear, none of us bash his knowledge, customer service, excellent shop facilities, and products. You guys are just rehashing things that everyone is in agreement with.

There are other various aspects that some forum members have issues with though.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:05 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,284 Likes on 901 Posts

Getting the job done is my only focus. Always has been, always will be. Its the only thing that found us where we are.

Too many companies in the Porsche industry are about image, fashion, and telling people what they want to hear. That works for them, but once they get in over their heads, the cars come to us with the engines apart in their trunks.

Once upon a time we had an ad agency try to help us with some "image" stuff. At the first meeting the marketing girls said "We've reviewed all of your information, done some searches and etc, and we have a problem. Generally we are called in to make companies look like they know more, or have a bigger reputation than they do, and that takes creative inflation most of the time. You don't have that problem, and quite honestly, we don't know how to help you."

I respected their overview, paid them for their time spent and we never met again.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:21 AM
tks12
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
This is from a current thread about metal shavings...IMS...etc. First post from the user:

"I’ve been lurking here for a while as well as a few other Porsche forums. These threads make considering a 996-911 purchase really challenging.

I’ll be in the fun car market in a few months. If I do buy a fun car in the near future I’m planning on keeping it until my kids put me in a nursing home.

The idea of buying a car with 30 k miles with a glass engine is unsettling. The high cost of replacement is disturbing as well as knowing it could fail dramatically at any moment. How do Porsche owners get any sleep?

It almost sounds like the best approach to 996-911 ownership is to buy a high mileage 996 drive it until the motor shatters, send it to Jake, wait a year then voila, a fun reliable sports car. But, if a car made it 150 k miles maybe that car will make it to 300 k without dramatic intervention.

If you buy a car with 30 k to 60 k miles there might only 2 miles left in it but the entry cost is let’s say $10,000 over the one with 150 k miles. The additional $10,000 entry cost is wasted on an unreliable motor, it would be more cost effective to spend that money on a robust rebuild (remanufactured) engine.

But a car with higher miles is going to have other problems, it’s going to need some love and $ over and above glass engine replacement."

And now this thread. JR...when eagles are silent, maybe parrots do begin to chatter, just as your signature says, but parrots do seem to repeat the same thing over, and over, and over....

hhehe, just wait to you see trade in offer on a 2000 996 cab with 71k miles on it, for a 2011 Cab, there is definitely no trade in value on these cars! found that out today!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:31 AM
rxjohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by alpine003
It's great to see these Jake supporters(a lot lately with low post counts) and Fan boi's coming out of the woodwork but let's be clear, none of us bash his knowledge, customer service, excellent shop facilities, and products. You guys are just rehashing things that everyone is in agreement with.

There are other various aspects that some forum members have issues with though.
Well some of us have a life outside of this forum instead incessantly posting thousands of times. Its just a freaking car.

I think jake and LN engineering have done more for 996 and 986 enthusiasts than some the bashers ever will.

Jake, ignore the bashers... I know many you have helped including myself appreciate your work and fully support your endeavors. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:40 AM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by rxjohn
Well some of us have a life outside of this forum instead incessantly posting thousands of times. Its just a freaking car.
This can go both ways. Just think about it. Lol.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:37 AM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by george996
The problem is the perception about the 996 relaiblilty. I am trying to sell my 996 and have been experiencing a lot of skepticism from buyers.

Remember, the buyers will try whatever they can to bring down the price, unless these *well known* issues of 996 were already taken care of w/ the supporting documentations.

It's just the way it is, kindda goes same with Ferrari 348 & F355 models. Despite the bad reputation and maintenance nightmare, they are old school dream cars for many car geeks and these cars get moved fast as long as priced reasonably, while some used 348/F355 aren't moving due to too ideal asking price. They have depreciated enough and established the bottom/baseline price. The price tag can fluctuate only upwards if the engine out service has been performed. I've seen 348 model between $27k - $32k w/ engine out service need ASAP, while price can jump ones with the engine out service completed between $43k + alpha.

Back to my point, 996 non-turbo engines w/o these *known* issues addressed will be hard to sell as the buyers will try to use it against the seller. This doesn't matter whether IMS will ever cause the engine failure or not, the car society and online and hard-copy magazine articles talked about this issue numerous times and unfortunately it has provided a greatest weapon for the new potential 996 buyers and probably caused a worst nightmare for the 996 owners who want to sell theirs.

Don't feel too bad, 955 Cayenne V8 turbo and non-turbo engines suffered from the coolant pipe issue, where Porsche failed to use the proper material to make these coolant pipes from get-go. Luckily Porche introduced the upgraded aluminum coolant pipe kit, which got them into a trouble and had to face a class action lawsuit, because they were selling these aluminum coolant pipe kit while keep producing MY 2006 Cayenne V8 w/ the plastic coolant pipes from the factory rather than upgraded aluminum pipes.
Anyways, I see the same trend but much smaller magnitude, 955 w/o coolant pipes replaced will be asked to reduce automatically $1k off from the asking price. I know $1k is much manageable compared to IMS replacement solution, but the potential 955 buyers will use that against the sellers to bring down the price anyways.
I can tell the potential 955 buyers all day that mine has been rock solid so far with the original plastic pipes, but guess what? that won't give a warm fuzzy feeling to them.

Just my $.02

Last edited by pcst; 02-23-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:18 AM
jrrhdmust
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
" low post counts".
ROFL so since I don't spend my life 'posting' on this forum I am clueless? You Sir are using very very faulty logic, what an ignorant statement!
Old 02-23-2014, 10:33 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jrrhdmust
ROFL so since I don't spend my life 'posting' on this forum I am clueless? You Sir are using very very faulty logic, what an ignorant statement!
I had to actually Google ROFL.

I guess I need to spend more times on these forums to learn the lingo.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:41 AM
alpine003
Banned

I like how you ASSume things about me or make more than what is being said. When did I ever say low post count = clueless?

Some guys have accused fictitious members getting setup in the past to bolster someone's agenda or image. I have not directly said this personally but I've read it from others post and this is the possibility I was eluding to. I was making a general comment and not directly towards you.

So far the correlation I'm seeing here is that most of the "hardcore supporters" here, you included, has had some kind of engine issue or rebuild. For those that never experienced one, seem to be on the other side of the fence.

I predicted it on page 1 and so far we're up to 8 pages and counting with no direct posts of someone actually having a core for sale themselves. I'm glad Jake was able to turn this thread around and find some engine cores regardless.

Yes I don't have a life during this miserable winter considering my 996 is tucked away in my 10 deg garage. I can't drive it or work on it. This is my little break when im not having to tend to 3 toddlers.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Howaboutthat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Getting the job done is my only focus. Always has been, always will be. Its the only thing that found us where we are.

Too many companies in the Porsche industry are about image, fashion, and telling people what they want to hear. That works for them, but once they get in over their heads, the cars come to us with the engines apart in their trunks.

Once upon a time we had an ad agency try to help us with some "image" stuff. At the first meeting the marketing girls said "We've reviewed all of your information, done some searches and etc, and we have a problem. Generally we are called in to make companies look like they know more, or have a bigger reputation than they do, and that takes creative inflation most of the time. You don't have that problem, and quite honestly, we don't know how to help you."

I respected their overview, paid them for their time spent and we never met again.

My two cents: perhaps think over your postings and subject headings a bit more. This thread heading could (should) have stopped after the first exclamation point, or simply said WTB: M96 Engine Cores. That type of simple expression associated with your operational reputation (sterling, by all accounts) would have gotten you all you needed. The rest of the thread heading is unnecessary and strikes at the core (bad pun, I know) of your customer base and the readership of this site -- people who, in general, love these cars. Many of your within-thread postings (not just this thread) reflect a similar tone and language.

You, Charles, and a handful of others have contributed greatly to the health of the M96 fleet and our enjoyment of these cars on a daily basis. I would hope that your posting style could more closely mirror those contributions. That most of us are enthusiasts by nature means that we will seek out your products and services and spread the word for the benefits of our fellow Porsche owners.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Howaboutthat
My two cents: perhaps think over your postings and subject headings a bit more. This thread heading could (should) have stopped after the first exclamation point, or simply said WTB: M96 Engine Cores. That type of simple expression associated with your operational reputation (sterling, by all accounts) would have gotten you all you needed. The rest of the thread heading is unnecessary and strikes at the core (bad pun, I know) of your customer base and the readership of this site -- people who, in general, love these cars. Many of your within-thread postings (not just this thread) reflect a similar tone and language.

You, Charles, and a handful of others have contributed greatly to the health of the M96 fleet and our enjoyment of these cars on a daily basis. I would hope that your posting style could more closely mirror those contributions. That most of us are enthusiasts by nature means that we will seek out your products and services and spread the word for the benefits of our fellow Porsche owners.
Perfectly said.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,284 Likes on 901 Posts

Funny thing is I posted this same text on 4 other forums and it didn't turn into an 8 page bash fest like it has here.

That tells me what I need to know, but it took me 4 days to realize it.

FYI- As stated above, look at the depreciation that the Cayenne models have seen as well as the 996TT and you will see that percentage wise they rival the M96 powered Porsches. The Cayenne doesn't have any significant internal issues in the TT model, and even the cylinder scoring in the S models isn't wide spread unless you live in Canada. The 996TT doesn't have any "notable gripes" but it lost value just as quick as the rest.

If the cars lose value, fewer people will spend 20K on my engine. Trust that the values of these cars means more to me that it does to an owner, we've only dedicated a decade of our lives to creating solutions to specific problems that the engines that power these cars have. I have nothing to gain from making these values diminish, perhaps if I owned a dismantling business that would be a different story.

I am very black and white, if something has a problem, it has a problem, and I feel inclined to lay it all out on the table, exactly as I see it. Its clear that those inclinations require some added discipline on my behalf, the good news is I will be starting on construction of the new Raby Engine Development Research & Training Facility in 3 weeks and I'll be busy welding steel beams together and swinging a hammer. Looking forward to it!

Quick Reply: We Need Engine Cores! A rash of huge failures leaves our core bank "Bankrupt"!