Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

We Need Engine Cores! A rash of huge failures leaves our core bank "Bankrupt"!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:39 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts
Default We Need Engine Cores! A rash of huge failures leaves our core bank "Bankrupt"!

We need any Boxster/996/997/Cayman engine core we can find. We have had a run of 7 engines that were so catastrophically compromised that nothing could be reused. I expect the next 5 to be grenaded almost as bad as well.

If you have 1 core, or 100 cores we pay cash at fair prices and make the process simple and quick. Drain the oil, throw it on a pallet, print 3 forms and affix to the pallet and our truck comes to grab it after you've been paid.

We desperately need 3.2 cores and 3.4 cores. They don't have to run, price paid is dependent upon the core and what the failure is. We don't care about mileage.

We'll take anything except 2.5s, but we'll even take those at the right price.
We also buy random parts, like crankshafts, IMS assemblies, crankcases and etc.

Email Rebecca@rabyenginedevelopment.com if you have a core to sell and she will get the details to me and start the dialogue. DO NOT PM ME HERE!

When everything you see looks like this, you need cores!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:04 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should also take out an ad in Panorama and Excellence.

2003 Carrera 4S Speed Yellow / 1955 356 Continental 1500 Rust Red
Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice scary pic(as to imply that all like engines suffer the same fate)...way to advertise at the expense of the owners here...boy and girls, the subliminal message JR is trying to convey is that all M96/M97 engines fail and you should send yours to fl@t6 ASAP(in case you are too slow to reach this conclusion on your own). However, this is nothing new, it's simply JR's standard OP. It has gotten very old IMO.

JR, if M96/97 engines failed as frequently as you claim, why are you not overun with cores???
Old 02-20-2014, 09:18 AM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Nice scary pic(as to imply that all like engines suffer the same fate)...way to advertise at the expense of the owners here...boy and girls, the subliminal message JR is trying to convey is that all M96/M97 engines fail and you should send yours to fl@t6 ASAP(in case you are too slow to reach this conclusion on your own). However, this is nothing new, it's simply JR's standard OP. It has gotten very old IMO.

JR, if M96/97 engines failed as frequently as you claim, why are you not overun with cores???
Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

We have a ton of cylinder head and ancillary cores, as they come on the complete engines we often have to source to rob crankshafts/ crank carriers/ IMS assemblies and crankcases from to repair all the blown up bottom ends of these engines. We have had a rash of connecting rod/ bolt failures and when they occur it takes out the entire crankcase assembly in most cases, as illustrated above.

This week we have disassembled 3 engines from customer's cars and all 3 have been a complete waste inside the crankcase, we have one more to tear down today for the next batch and I expect it to be the worst of all. It came apart at 7K on the track, instantly! The good news is none of these died from IMSB failures.
This is what we have to look forward to:
Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

[QUOTE=Flat6 Innovations;11149898]We have a ton of cylinder head and ancillary cores, as they come on the complete engines we often have to source to rob crankshafts/ crank carriers/ IMS assemblies and crankcases from to repair all the blown up bottom ends of these engines. We have had a rash of connecting rod/ bolt failures and when they occur it takes out the entire crankcase assembly in most cases, as illustrated above.

This week we have disassembled 3 engines from customer's cars and all 3 have been a complete waste inside the crankcase, we have one more to tear down today for the next batch and I expect it to be the worst of all. It came apart at 7K on the track, instantly! The good news is none of these died from IMSB failures.
This is what we have to look forward to:[Quote]

Now that I have your attention, care to answer a question I previously posed to you regarding one of your prior photo bombs??? In that instance you chose to ignore my question but I'm sure many here would love to hear your explanation. In the photo in question, you insinuated that a certain oil type would cause sludge in our engines(M96/97 engines) yet you failed to explain. Claims of widespead M96/M97 sludge, I'm sure, would be of great interest to many members here and I am sure many on here would love to hear your analysis regarding this issue. HERE IS THE THREAD IN QUESTION: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=43930

Also, you love to give us RLers anecdotal evidence of your engine failure claims...care to back them up with empirical evidence???
Old 02-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Empirical evidence is the entirety of what we gather as researchers with these engines. Sharing it isn't free and we gather it for ourselves. I was more free with it when we were the only guys tearing into these engines, but today educating RL means educating those who want to learn things and use them against us, too, unfortunately. I spend a ton of money every year to learn new things and thats not given to me, R&D comes out of MY pocket.

What leads to sludge in these engines more than anything are the prescribed oil service intervals, especially in hot climates, which experience has proven to be too long of a service interval. The car that the pics illustrate in the other thread was a 99' 996 and when it was new it had a 20K mile prescribed service interval, these have dropped over time and thats because of scenarios just like that one.

I hate M1 oil with a passion, but the only thing is does do is keep an engine clean. I wish it didn't even have one good attribute, but it does shine with cleanliness and MPG too.

That said, this is a thread about me looking for cores, its not about oil and I have said all I am going to say about oil. If you have a core, thats fine. If you don't lets discuss other topics in other threads that are dedicated to those topics. No thanks for the hi-jack.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:18 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Typical...more BS!!!

And BTW, you've hijacked more than your share of threads here...
Old 02-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Thank you. Did you have a core to sell?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:25 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
That said, this is a thread about me looking for cores, its not about oil and I have said all I am going to say about oil. If you have a core, thats fine. If you don't lets discuss other topics in other threads that are dedicated to those topics. No thanks for the hi-jack.
I agree with this. Maybe resurrect the other thread related to sludge as that would be more appropriate place.

Jake, you think your previous students are buying up all the cores?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by alpine003
I agree with this. Maybe resurrect the other thread related to sludge as that would be more appropriate place.

Jake, you think your previous students are buying up all the cores?
No, we can find cores, but the issue is what ails them as its the same issues that our other engines have suffered, at least lately. The stuff comes in bursts, we'll have a few months of timing chain failures, then a run of intermix, then a run of broken rod bolts/ crank issues and then some back to back IMS failures. There's no rhyme or reason to it, either as the engines come from all over N America to us with the issues, not just one region.

Finding good cores is the problem, junk cores are abundant.

Its driving us to have to manufacture even more components, like crankshafts and IMS assemblies. Hell, if this keeps up we may have to cast our own blocks, but that will take years to evaluate before we can use them. Good thing the mold and match plates are already done.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:44 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

ebay has a core without heads for $2000 in Ohio. I used the search Porsche engine 3.4
Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dgjks6
ebay has a core without heads for $2000 in Ohio. I used the search Porsche engine 3.4
I saw it.. Thanks!

Craigslist and EBay are where we find some, but it's also where we get ripped off from time to time.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:55 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Did anyone ever see the motormeister video? They looked to have hundreds of cores. What happened to those?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This is from a current thread about metal shavings...IMS...etc. First post from the user:

"I’ve been lurking here for a while as well as a few other Porsche forums. These threads make considering a 996-911 purchase really challenging.

I’ll be in the fun car market in a few months. If I do buy a fun car in the near future I’m planning on keeping it until my kids put me in a nursing home.

The idea of buying a car with 30 k miles with a glass engine is unsettling. The high cost of replacement is disturbing as well as knowing it could fail dramatically at any moment. How do Porsche owners get any sleep?

It almost sounds like the best approach to 996-911 ownership is to buy a high mileage 996 drive it until the motor shatters, send it to Jake, wait a year then voila, a fun reliable sports car. But, if a car made it 150 k miles maybe that car will make it to 300 k without dramatic intervention.

If you buy a car with 30 k to 60 k miles there might only 2 miles left in it but the entry cost is let’s say $10,000 over the one with 150 k miles. The additional $10,000 entry cost is wasted on an unreliable motor, it would be more cost effective to spend that money on a robust rebuild (remanufactured) engine.

But a car with higher miles is going to have other problems, it’s going to need some love and $ over and above glass engine replacement."

And now this thread. JR...when eagles are silent, maybe parrots do begin to chatter, just as your signature says, but parrots do seem to repeat the same thing over, and over, and over....

Quick Reply: We Need Engine Cores! A rash of huge failures leaves our core bank "Bankrupt"!