Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

We Need Engine Cores! A rash of huge failures leaves our core bank "Bankrupt"!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 12:04 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just imagine what your 966 value will be today w/o Jake's time involvement and developing the IMS alternative solution.

I stayed away as far as I wanted to be 'til started to read about IMS replacement solution, which got me back in the game. Think about it, why would anyone spend $$$ on the car knowing there is a known flaw and no alternative solution for it? Especially 996 cars more than 10yrs old?

People here aren't blindly chanting for Jake, they are giving create and showing some level of respect to Jake for what he has accomplished, that's it, no need to elaborate more.

$.02
Old 02-23-2014, 12:18 PM
tks12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
If the cars lose value, fewer people will spend 20K on my engine. Trust that the values of these cars means more to me that it does to an owner,
this is something no one had mentioned and is very true, its the same in any arena one works in a narrow market, and like it or not, the 996 is a narrow market compared to.... (insert brand here)

just like my work, I have a narrow market, they are not being produced any longer and it is up to the value of the vehicle for me to keep making money, face it, the 996 is not an antique, or classic yet, and I wonder how many people have decided to just scrap one or part it out over 4-10k in repairs,

I just got a trade in off on a newer one that definitely would not make sens to do if I have to put 4k (IMS repair) or more in the car) the car is only worth what 20-30k tops depending on what year model, cabriolet or not, and other options?

I just advertised ours, and first response I got was "IMS bearing and RMS issues addressed " I haven't even looked up RMS issue yet....

someone has to love their car to put 20k in one when the car is only worth 20-30k for sure!

Jake, thanks for your work and the time you have personally given me on our 996
Tom
Old 02-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

someone has to love their car to put 20k in one when the car is only worth 20-30k for sure!
There's more of this breed in the community than we ever thought their would be. With the cars being unlike their aircooled counterparts, we didn't know if the same trait of spending as much on an engine as the entire car is worth (and often times even more) would occur with the 996 like it did other models in the past. It has and continues to, at least in the numbers that matter to us to stay as busy as we want to be.

But we didn't slow down, as soon as the 9a1 was released we sourced a car and dismantled the engine completely. Today thats already paying off, and will continue to as the 996/ 997 markets change over time.

With the 9a1 I've learned a lot from the M96/ M97 and we just aren'd saying anything about our experiences, good, bad or performance oriented and I don't plan to. By the time others start to see the trends, we'll already have a product ready to distribute.

Jake, thanks for your work and the time you have personally given me on our 996
You are one of very few that are on this forum that will ever see me in my own world here. Thanks for being a good neighbor :-)
Old 02-23-2014, 12:39 PM
pcst
Racer

Originally Posted by tks12
Funny how this was brought up. The members of Ferrari 348 forum also discussed about the same dilemma, does it make sense to spend $10k + few more $ grands for "while at it" preventative maintenance items.
The major service is require every 5yrs or so, meaning it's not one time deal like spending $20k for a solid rebuilt 996 engine. $10k+ for every 5yrs or so and ongoing cost, meaning let's just say you spent $30k for the used Ferrari 348 and within 10 some years, the amount of money you spent for the maintenance = the purchased of the vehicle. Not to mention unreliability of other parts of Italian cars, meaning there are other parts that need you attention, ie, $$$.

Some can argue, Ferrari is one classic example while Porsche 996 isn't, but heck, who dictates that? Does it really matter to you whether it's a classic car or not? It matters because what your heart is telling you, isn't it? At least for me it is, doesn't matter what others say about my cars as long as I like 'em in my way.

Like what my boss (wife) says, why even spend money to buy a car that's more than 10yrs old?
My wife is probably right, you wouldn't spend that money unless you really love that car knowing that you probably won't be able to recover that $$$ back.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pcst
Think about it, why would anyone spend $$$ on the car knowing there is a known flaw and no alternative solution for it? Especially 996 cars more than 10yrs old?
This would make sense if the failure rate was seriously high. There are many here, including myself, who bought their 996 knowing the "risk" (read that...low risk). I was willing to take that chance under the assumption that ALL engines will fail at some point.

I did install an LNE bearing when I had the clutch done. My reasoning was for resale "potential" in the wake of the class action suit, not out of fear that the IMS would fail.

I will be selling my car in the next few months to buy a 997. It will be interesting to see how many potential buyers even bring it up.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I need to find one of those 348s and get to work :-)

unless you really love that car knowing that you probably won't be able to recover that $$$ back.
They recover the $$$ back, because they don't sell the car. I challenge you to find a Raby powered 996 for sale. You won't.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:23 PM
pcst
Racer

They recover the $$$ back, because they don't sell the car.
True that!
Old 02-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Dave Fox
Advanced

Prior to purchase of my low mileage '04 base Carrera last November, coming from British and American sports cars and ignorant as a stump about Stuttgart products, I hit the 'net for critique, driver impressions, and enthusiast magazine test drives of the 996. Somehow I entirely missed any issue with the IMS bearing (!) All the reviews were positive, even laudatory. The 996 was touted as a substantial step forward from its air cooled ancestors in every category but on-the-edge excitement...what to me sounded like rather frightening handling characteristics, something I could cheerfully live without. I've found this 996 lives up to every accolade. It's a magnificent tourer. Even my wife enjoys riding in it and my son-in-law has it out even now, the excuse being a date with my daughter. I learned about The Problems post purchase. Mine doesn't leak oil and I've now got the original IMS bearing on my desk as an expensive paperweight. I plan upon rowing through those six gears until I can't drive anymore (it was a 70th birthday present to myself). I do regret some other Porsche-ah (I'm learning correct pronunciation) owners of 996s and other models disparage my ride. Me? I think it's a hellofa car. Except for the cheesy cupholder....
Old 02-23-2014, 06:55 PM
tks12
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcst
Funny how this was brought up. The members of Ferrari 348 forum also discussed about the same dilemma, does it make sense to spend $10k + few more $ grands for "while at it" preventative maintenance items.
The major service is require every 5yrs or so, meaning it's not one time deal like spending $20k for a solid rebuilt 996 engine. $10k+ for every 5yrs or so and ongoing cost, meaning let's just say you spent $30k for the used Ferrari 348 and within 10 some years, the amount of money you spent for the maintenance = the purchased of the vehicle. Not to mention unreliability of other parts of Italian cars, meaning there are other parts that need you attention, ie, $$$.

Some can argue, Ferrari is one classic example while Porsche 996 isn't, but heck, who dictates that? Does it really matter to you whether it's a classic car or not? It matters because what your heart is telling you, isn't it? At least for me it is, doesn't matter what others say about my cars as long as I like 'em in my way.

Like what my boss (wife) says, why even spend money to buy a car that's more than 10yrs old?
My wife is probably right, you wouldn't spend that money unless you really love that car knowing that you probably won't be able to recover that $$$ back.
\we are in that spot right now, wife likes her 996, but really wanted a red one. if this were a Red Turbo cab, we wouuldnt even think about trading it off im sure

in fact ours is at a dealer right now, and looking at a red 11 cab, thinking perhaps we could get it serviced if needed locally!

but perhaps not..... she has her eye on a 12cyl sl600 tooo
Old 02-23-2014, 06:58 PM
tks12
Instructor

You are one of very few that are on this forum that will ever see me in my own world here. Thanks for being a good neighbor :-)
so what do you think of the 997? its a '11 he said 997.2?

\and being at your place bsing along with you looking over our car, I had the rare opportunity to know you a bit more than just someone from the web, heck we have a lot of same interests too bad we dont have more free time, there are some great roads with minutes of me and one turn from you!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 PM
tks12
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave Fox
Me? I think it's a hellofa car. Except for the cheesy cupholder....
you got a cupholder? cool, but my wife wont let me drink my mocha frape while driving her stick shift anyhow....
Old 02-23-2014, 07:17 PM
tks12
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
This would make sense if the failure rate was seriously high. There are many here, including myself, who bought their 996 knowing the "risk" (read that...low risk). I was willing to take that chance under the assumption that ALL engines will fail at some point.

I did install an LNE bearing when I had the clutch done. My reasoning was for resale "potential" in the wake of the class action suit, not out of fear that the IMS would fail.

I will be selling my car in the next few months to buy a 997. It will be interesting to see how many potential buyers even bring it up.
I justt got my second reply from our ad, same guy thart asked the first time, I cant say yes or no, I just know a oil leak was repaired on it
but here was his next reply to me

typical of a CL buyer I know... but still, I told him BS, a few cars broke down, and compared to the amount built that is all that broke down...

"On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 11:28:35 -0500, "John Chilton"
<311ea57135843e08927e69b946891f3f@reply.craigslist.org>:

>
>DIDN'T ANSWER MY QUESTION, THESE ENGINES SELF DESTRUCT
>WITHOUT THE IMS BEARING CHANGE ! DEALERS IGNORE IT UNTIL THE
>ENGINE GRINDS TO A HALT, THEN $ 20k REBUILD !
"
Old 02-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

He's just trying to beat you up on price.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:54 PM
pcst
Racer

He's just trying to beat you up on price.
Exactly.

Wouldn't you if you were the buyer? or are you one of those who pays whatever the asking price?
Just like anything else, 996 non-turbo engine Carreras currently fall into the buyers market rather than sellers market, there are tons of inventory available in the market, and the well known flaw in the engine system has been identified, whether you like to classified that as a well known fact or not, but that's dictated by the market not you.
Just like stock, if a product has suffered from an incident, for an example, Tesla caught on fire after hitting unidentified object while driving on highway, Tesla stock went down the next day. And guess what? Ever since that incident, the lingering question of battery safety has been brought up, which made the current owners and the potential future owners of the Telsa nervous. Tesla had to do something to calm the market, they ended up offering 10yrs of warranty on battery system including the existing owners who already purchased their car under the different warranty contract years ago.
Did they have to go through the lawsuit? No, it was a company good will, unlike Porsche who has abandoned the system flaw by playing dumb IMHO.

Going back to your vehicle, unless you are willing to guarantee on the written contract that the vehicle you are selling would not suffer from IMS within ##### of miles and # of years, but I doubt you would want to do that, the buyers who are aware of IMS issue are expected to ask IMS questions, whether it has been replaced or not, that's a given IMHO.

As I've mentioned earlier The sellers will try to get as much as they can while the buyers will try to buy down as low as they can, that's the fundamental of the free market.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 PM
BigShow
Track Day

tks12, Just respond to this guy with facts, at least that's what I'd want. If he doesn’t respond to that then he’s just trying to see if he can take unfair advantage, don’t worry about him. Either the IMS is a problem for him or not. Tell him what you have or haven’t done about the IMS.

When I sold my inboard boat I had lots of people looking to see if I was in financial stress and trying to get the boat for pennies on a dollar. I just hung in there until a serious buyer showed up.

When I start replying to "for sale" adds, if and when I buy a 996, I'm going to ask about maintenance records, accidents, IMS, RMS, brakes, and tires. If the answers aren't good I'm moving on or I'm leveraging price.

If the car has a rebuilt engine would be an important sales point, better if the current owner know what engine enhancements if any are in the rebuild. A car with a Flat Six Innovations engine would draw my attention and I’d hope that it’s in my price range.

I think I'm over the 996 issues but I have to decide if the 996 is that special to me or if the new 2015 mustang or a C6 vet will do it for me.

Quick Reply: We Need Engine Cores! A rash of huge failures leaves our core bank "Bankrupt"!