996 Stereo Upgrades in Here

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 09:23 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Trim piece

Originally Posted by dwdm
I opted for a CarPlay unit that had the least amount of buttons or any flashy lighting
Where did you get the trim piece that says Porsche on it?
Old 07-09-2021, 09:24 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 98C4S
Bringing this thread back to 2021.

The JBLs are long discontinued.

Has anyone used a newer speaker - alternative to the JBLs that is plug and play? I'd like to replace all the speakers in my Bose equipped 996.2 (Dash/Doors/Rears)

thanks
​​​​​​https://cai-store.com/collections/99...peaker-upgrade
Old 07-09-2021, 09:50 AM
Dagsvik
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ManM
wish there were more options for double din/carplay unit with a physical volume ****.

is the sony unit the only one?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV....html?tp=72357

too bad the porsche PCCM doesn't accommodate a backup camera
My new double din car stereo has no dial for volume either, which is a bit of a nuisance. The stereo also came with a little remote like a TV would have, which seemed rather pointless in what is essentially a two seater car.

However, the stupid little remote has proven to be an effective gizmo to adjust the volume, or more importantly, to quickly advance through the Goddawful songs my wife chooses for the playlist without having to frantically search for the correct buttons on the stereo screen, which is most difficult to SEE in the daytime anyway.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:58 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

I hate radios with a zillion buttons on them, but I also hate radios without an analog volume control that you can adjust without looking at a touch screen.

Sony fits the bill for me... An easy to find volume ****, skip forward, skip back get used quite a bit without taking my attention off the road.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:06 PM
dwdm
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranon
Where did you get the trim piece that says Porsche on it?
​​​​​​​The bezel is the standard Metra one that most everyone has. I cut the logo on my plotter with just white vinyl
The following 4 users liked this post by dwdm:
Andrew Walker (02-03-2023), Dranon (07-10-2021), peterp (07-10-2021), playswithcars (08-27-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 07:51 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

I don't have a **** but an up arrow button and a down arrow button. Don't have to look for them as they are right on the lower left of the unit. I would prefer a **** but the buttons are not a problem!

Last edited by Dranon; 07-10-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:55 AM
kbarmusa
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More info please...

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I put in a double DIN system which includes CD, DVD, Navigation, Phone, Ipod, Satellite radio, Bluetooth, Pandora, etc.

But, as stated above, a rather expensive install.
Your pic shows cubby remaining in lowest position with HVAC controls above; this would be my preference but most trim part kits put the HVAC controls in lowest position. What was the source for your trim parts? Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
PBradz (03-12-2022)
Old 09-20-2021, 12:10 AM
RobertM525
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ssherman68
Just installed a Pioneer W4660NEX With wireless CarPlay in my ‘99 C2 w/ the amp & DSP.
ssherman68, how do you like the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX now that you've had it for a while?

Other than the lack of a volume ****, it seems to be one of the better options for a wireless Android Auto compatible double DIN stereo.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:55 PM
Jedi767
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

In my opinion, this is the only way to go. Porsche OEM look, and the orange lights even match the rest of the interior. I wired the connection box into the glove compartment - it blows my mind that people actually mount it front and center, YIKES. Added a wireless CarPlay adapter ($100 on Amazon), and boom. Perfection.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jedi767:
996TS (12-20-2021), Joel928s4 (03-07-2022), joshuatrue (01-24-2023), pongobaz (12-21-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 06:05 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertM525
ssherman68, how do you like the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX now that you've had it for a while?

Other than the lack of a volume ****, it seems to be one of the better options for a wireless Android Auto compatible double DIN stereo.
I have two of these. One in my Outback and one in my 911. I get connection issues with wireless CarPlay all the time. The unit seems to prefer wireless if that's what's set up so simply connecting with the wire will not solve it unless you turn off WiFi and sometimes power cycle the stereo (which means power cycling the car). I have more problems on my Outback than I do on the 911 for some reason. Same model stereo, same phone. I did email Pioneer about disabling wireless CarPlay but never got a reply.

YMMV on Android. It might be better. The problem with this stuff is you have the code on the stereo and you have the code on the phone. The problem could be on either or on both, so you can get a lot of finger pointing.

Not having the volume **** in the 911 is difficult. The volume control on the head unit is very small, hard to see and not lit up. You have to take your eyes off the road and really look at the unit to adjust the volume. There is also about a 1/4 second delay between when you hit the button and when the volume changes which makes it harder. In the Outback, it's not a big deal because that has steering wheel controls. I think the companies that make the stereos just assume you have steering wheel controls so they don't put in a volume ****. It also allows the installers to sell you another device to convert the steering wheel output to the stereo input.

I can't say I wouldn't buy it again because it seems most all the head units have similar issues. The internet is full of stories about CarPlay and Android Auto not working. I think wireless CarPlay is still in its infancy. The Pioneer seemed to have the best stereo with wireless CarPlay at the time so that's what I got. There wasn't a wireless CarPlay unit out at the time with a volume ****.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:26 PM
PASSMORE
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a 986, but the dash and audio are much the same. Being dissatisfied with the Bluetooth dongle for the OEM head unit and never listening to radio, I eliminated the head unit entirely and now utilize a JL Audio MBT-RX Bluetooth Receiver plugged into my amplifier to stream audio directly from my iPhone (though any phone will work).

This set up has worked flawlessly for me and my use.
The following 2 users liked this post by PASSMORE:
Airbrush1 (09-21-2021), wdb (03-07-2022)
Old 09-20-2021, 07:41 PM
RobertM525
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi767
In my opinion, this is the only way to go. Porsche OEM look, and the orange lights even match the rest of the interior. I wired the connection box into the glove compartment - it blows my mind that people actually mount it front and center, YIKES. Added a wireless CarPlay adapter ($100 on Amazon), and boom. Perfection.
Well, those of us with a 996.1 don't have a glovebox, so that's out. Then, on top of that, PCCM+ doesn't support a backup camera (and I love the backup camera on my daily). Add in the lack of wireless Android Auto support, the fact that it's twice the price, and the fact that it's apparently much more difficult to install, and I've ruled out PCCM+. No question, there are some things about it that I really like (i.e., the volume **** and the OEM aesthetics), but I think the cons outweigh the pros on this one for me.
I get connection issues with wireless CarPlay all the time.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm afraid of. For every person that you hear say "once you go with CarPlay/Android Auto, you can never go back," there are almost as many people who say that they are plagued with connection issues.
Not having the volume **** in the 911 is difficult. The volume control on the head unit is very small, hard to see and not lit up.
That might end up being a dealbreaker for me on the W4660NEX. The problem is that, like you say, there are so few good alternatives out there for double DIN Android Auto stereos, that unit might still end up being the least bad of all the options.

Take the Kenwood DMX1037S. First, apparently Kenwood is not as good as Pioneer for phone integration. Then, on top of that, although it has volume ****, it also has a floating screen that makes it look like you glued a tablet to your dash:

Even if that would fit, I hate it.

Porsche got so close with the PCCM+. If they had just included wireless support, easier installation, and support for a backup camera, I might be willing to pay the premium to get it.
The following 2 users liked this post by RobertM525:
Dranon (09-21-2021), Tgmoore (12-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 08:41 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,856 Likes on 896 Posts

I've been looking at the Continental upgrade but think I have a MOST system in my car. Found a MOST adapter from CarnivalPlayer.com but just started looking up what the differences are.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:16 PM
work_truck
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 337 Posts

I've just given up and I'm going with the BTR-3 for my CDR23. I don't want a double din and I don't want an aftermarket look. Now I need to find a phone mount that is hidden
TheChunkNorris (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 10:48 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,856 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by work_truck
I've just given up and I'm going with the BTR-3 for my CDR23. I don't want a double din and I don't want an aftermarket look. Now I need to find a phone mount that is hidden
Same and I'd like to get rid of the lower console and do the GT3 delete at the same time.
work_truck (09-21-2021)

Quick Reply: 996 Stereo Upgrades in Here