996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Stereo Upgrades in Here

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 07:21 AM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

I have a the factory single DIN and the cd changer. I'll take a pic tonight of the stuff that's there.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:22 AM
Giorginetto
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Quaz
I decided to go a different route on my car and replaced the double din I had with an Atoto A6. This is a full Android Auto head unit that can be customized like any Android tablet, but also runs carplay. One draw to it was the ability to run torque for OBD stats realtime. Also the interface is completely customizable. If I wanted I could add TPMS sensors as well. This brings my 99 up to having all the features of a new car.

A silly question really, can the existing CDC4 Porsche cd changer be connected to this unit ?
Old 09-16-2020, 12:44 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 107 Posts

Hot off the press: "Porsche Introduces Touchscreens, Apple CarPlay for 1960s-Era 911s"

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...apple-carplay/

There is also a double DIN for the 996s, a pic in the article.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:50 PM
bill_996
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nrp3
I have a the factory single DIN and the cd changer. I'll take a pic tonight of the stuff that's there.
If you want to go to a double-DIN head unit (Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine etc.) then the Metra instructions posted above will guide you through the steps. Starting with a single DIN unit like the CDR-220 means you will have to relocate HVAC to the lower stack (cables are plenty long enough to do so since this was a factory configuration) and lose the cup-holders above if you have them. I used a dremel to cut the plastic trim on mine and had no issues with fitment.

Metra includes the trim pieces in the kit, including a replacement cubby, which is a great thing to add. I actually got an OEM Porsche piece which has the matching rubber mat and I did install a USB connection in the back of it. As others have mentioned, it works well but you need small fingers (or a pair of needle-nose pliers!) to install and remove the USB cable. I balked at the additional $$ for wireless Carplay but I would definitely go for it if I was to do it again. Having a wireless charging spot is a cool mod and looks slick with the cubby installed. I wonder if it would be strong enough to work through the plastic if mounted behind the dash on the bottom of the cubby???

Another excellent source of install reference info for 996's is Rod at cai-store.com. You can buy a complete system from him or just review his install instructions. I ended up buying the Focal component speakers set from him and am very happy with the results.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:45 PM
Makoto0406
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bill_996
If you want to go to a double-DIN head unit (Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine etc.) then the Metra instructions posted above will guide you through the steps. Starting with a single DIN unit like the CDR-220 means you will have to relocate HVAC to the lower stack (cables are plenty long enough to do so since this was a factory configuration) and lose the cup-holders above if you have them. I used a dremel to cut the plastic trim on mine and had no issues with fitment.

Metra includes the trim pieces in the kit, including a replacement cubby, which is a great thing to add. I actually got an OEM Porsche piece which has the matching rubber mat and I did install a USB connection in the back of it. As others have mentioned, it works well but you need small fingers (or a pair of needle-nose pliers!) to install and remove the USB cable. I balked at the additional $$ for wireless Carplay but I would definitely go for it if I was to do it again. Having a wireless charging spot is a cool mod and looks slick with the cubby installed. I wonder if it would be strong enough to work through the plastic if mounted behind the dash on the bottom of the cubby???

Another excellent source of install reference info for 996's is Rod at cai-store.com. You can buy a complete system from him or just review his install instructions. I ended up buying the Focal component speakers set from him and am very happy with the results.
Interesting thought about mounting a wireless charger below the cubby. I suspect it would work if you took the wireless charger out of its housing as that is how they do it with desks.. You would need to put a mark on the cubby so you know where to center it.

I didn't want to mount my charger permanently, given the rate of phone growth Its only a couple of years before your phone wont fit in the cubby
The following users liked this post:
wyovino (09-17-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 08:49 PM
Bruce Dagsvik
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny. I just put in a double DIN and Natalie's Carnival was the first song I listened to on my revamped sound system. Good song to fiddle with all the controls, see what does what.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:47 PM
George Tsirkas
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'm trying to send you a message, but I don't seem to have that option. You may not yet have the ability to send and receive messages because you're a new user to this site.
Hello Dennis hope all is well
this is my email Tsitk7@aol.com if you still have that spreadsheet of the maintenance and mods still available for the c4s I’d appreciate it
thank you happy holidays
Old 12-19-2020, 11:54 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

Yes, I have it and I’d be happy to email it.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:31 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by George Tsirkas
Hello Dennis hope all is well
this is my email Tsitk7@aol.com if you still have that spreadsheet of the maintenance and mods still available for the c4s I’d appreciate it
thank you happy holidays
My email was returned as undeliverable to this email address.

The response from the remote server was:“552 1 Requested mail action aborted, mailbox not found”
Old 12-24-2020, 02:10 AM
George Tsirkas
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
My email was returned as undeliverable to this email address.

The response from the remote server was:“552 1 Requested mail action aborted, mailbox not found”
sorry typed in wrong email my eyes are not the same anymore here’s the correct one
Tsirk7@aol.com
thank you
Old 03-20-2021, 01:41 PM
dwdm
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

I opted for a CarPlay unit that had the least amount of buttons or any flashy lighting
Name:  M7yACWl.jpg
Views: 3143
Size:  366.9 KB
bill_996 (03-20-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 01:03 PM
SleepyCyclist
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 117 Posts

wish there were more options for double din/carplay unit with a physical volume ****.

is the sony unit the only one?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV....html?tp=72357

too bad the porsche PCCM doesn't accommodate a backup camera
Old 03-22-2021, 01:20 PM
Radman73
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ManM
wish there were more options for double din/carplay unit with a physical volume ****.

is the sony unit the only one?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV....html?tp=72357

too bad the porsche PCCM doesn't accommodate a backup camera
Feel the same, and that's what I'm looking at if I decide not to get the PCCM+.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:38 PM
Sensable
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am looking at this unit as well. Some of the reviews are a little discouraging though
Old 07-09-2021, 07:26 AM
98C4S
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing this thread back to 2021.

The JBLs are long discontinued.

Has anyone used a newer speaker - alternative to the JBLs that is plug and play? I'd like to replace all the speakers in my Bose equipped 996.2 (Dash/Doors/Rears)

thanks
Robert Snook (01-23-2023)

Quick Reply: 996 Stereo Upgrades in Here