Sponsored by:

996 Stereo Upgrades in Here

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 08:34 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
My Macan has wired CarPlay and I was able to use an adapter to make it wireless (https://cplay2air.com/?gclid=CjwKCAj...BoCgloQAvD_BwE) and it works great. I don't know if the same thing exists for aftermarket radio -- but might be worth a search if you really want wireless.

The factory Macan wired CarPlay disconnects if there is the tiniest interruption on the cable over a bump for even a nanosecond, then it is difficult to get to reconnect, so the wireless adapter was a godsend. Probably the aftermarket handles cable interruptions better than the factory system I'd imagine.
Never understood why wireless was so important I mean I always plug my phone in the car anyway to keep it charged!
The following users liked this post:
Boff (05-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 01:56 PM
diddy2003
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 174 Posts

I’ve been very happy with the Continental. Looks proper in the car and does everything I need. Good sound, Bluetooth so I can listen to my music, and a microphone built in the front of if for hands free calling. Oh, it’s also very cheap.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/...l-trd7412ub-or

Last edited by diddy2003; 05-08-2022 at 02:00 PM.
Breakthru (05-09-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 03:09 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 779 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranon
Never understood why wireless was so important I mean I always plug my phone in the car anyway to keep it charged!
Two reasons for me. The first is that CarPlay is designed poorly (not sure if it Apple's design or poor implementation by Porsche) such that if there is the briefest nanosecond of disconnection from the Lightning cable, CarPlay totally disconnects and then it takes a while before (sometimes minutes) it will reconnect when you plug the cable back in. When I had a brand new charging cable and an older iPhone, it would disconnect over bumps and then would not want to reconnect. This would happen virtually every time I use it, so CarPlay was useless to me. Now that I've replaced that phone with a new iPhone 13, that might no longer be an issue (can't tell because I'm wireless all the time now), but it was unusable and pretty infuriating when it would disconnect with the old iPhone.

The second reason is that when I'm out running errands and getting in and out of the car, the last thing I want to do is pull the phone out of my pocket, plug it in for a 5 minute ride to the next stop, then disconnect and put it in my pocket. My old Q5 with Bluetooth only was actually much better than wired CarPlay because it would remember where I was in Pandora or Spotify and then continue playing when I got back in the car. Since music is very important to me, wired CarPlay was far worse then the old Q5 Bluetooth. Also, CarPlay seems rather random about what music it resumes when it reconnects -- sometimes it will resume content (e.g. Pandora) and sometimes it will just start playing iTunes songs when it reconnects instead of resuming Pandora.

Now with the wireless and the iPhone 13 that can sometimes go 2 days before needing to be recharged, the phone never comes out of my pocket. I definitely needed the wireless because the disconnects on my old iPhone made it unusable, but never having to pull the phone out is a huge convenience. To me, it's definitely worth the $100 or so for the adapter.
The following 2 users liked this post by peterp:
amargari (05-08-2022), RobertM525 (05-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 03:58 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Different experiece for me. iphone 12 mini. Always in my back pocket or sometimes breast pocket. always take my phone out so as not to sit on it. Wired carplay and never had a disconnect. Rented a 2022 Infiniti QX50 in Miami for a week. disconnected wireless carpaly quite a few times! BTW ride was nowhere near as good as my Macan S. I dont have carplay in the macan but since my phone rides up high so I can see WAZE I dont miss it.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:47 PM
RobertM525
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

My experience with wired Android Auto so far hasn't been as bad as peterp's with wired Apple CarPlay, but I can somewhat see the same potential issues. The USB port "clips" in my Galaxy S9+ (the thing that holds the charging cable into the phone) broke/wore out, so it's entirely too easy for a USB cable to come out of my phone. And if you disconnect Android Auto, it can sometimes misbehave when you try to reconnect it. Not always. But it's a problem I'd prefer not to have to deal with.

If wireless Android Auto is more resilient to disconnects, it would be nice to have, even if I always had my phone plugged in for charging purposes while using Android Auto anyway. To that end, because of the battery drain issues, I would prefer to have my phone plugged in all the time anyway while using Android Auto.

If it's just a quick trip, I can skip Android Auto and use Bluetooth audio.
peterp (05-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 05:09 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Same here.
I have the leather Kuda phone mount combined with Pro Clip phone holder with the integrated lighting cable, and I absolutely love it.
the connection to my Pioneer double DIN is always stable, gives me access to my phone and most important for me, charging it.

I have the same combo for my Macan S with an aftermarket Carply I’ve installed.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:46 PM
RobertM525
Instructor

That phone mount brings up an interesting problem I hadn't considered before I got my new stereo: where exactly do you put your phone?

My original plan was to just put it in the dash cubby, plugged in. But modern phones are too big for that (or you could say the 996 dash is too shallow). The phone (or, worse, the cable) ends up sticking out and you run into it shifting into any of the odd gears. And the Metra dash kit for my double DIN Sony stereo generally works fine but is incompatible with my Rennline magnetic phone holder.

What I've resorted to is using one of my two Ultimate Cup Holders, down in the footwell against the side of the center console, as a spot to store my phone upside-down with the USB cable coming out of the top. It works pretty well, but that certainly isn't what I bought that cup holder for.

Last edited by RobertM525; 05-08-2022 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:14 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,052 Likes on 2,300 Posts

Don't know how you guys can hear a damn thing inside your 996 with or without Bluetooth. But i guess someday i will need to replace my oem radio so I appreciate the info.
Emefef (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 12:25 AM
Breakthru
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 131 Posts

SO many great upgrades here. I have had my OEM radio since buying the car in '07, and am thinking it may be time to upgrade...and dare I say, get some high quality speakers with some bass?

GC996 (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 07:28 PM
RobertM525
Instructor

Originally Posted by GC996
Don't know how you guys can hear a damn thing inside your 996 with or without Bluetooth. But i guess someday i will need to replace my oem radio so I appreciate the info.
Even with all of the road noise that I get in my 996 Carrera with 1-year-old Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, I can hear the factory speakers fairly well using my new stereo. It certainly sounds better now than it did with the old tape deck.

But, yeah, it's definitely not as clear as my Toyota Camry!
GC996 (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 11:06 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertM525
Even with all of the road noise that I get in my 996 Carrera with 1-year-old Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, I can hear the factory speakers fairly well using my new stereo. It certainly sounds better now than it did with the old tape deck.

But, yeah, it's definitely not as clear as my Toyota Camry!

A bit of soundproofing for the sanity.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:53 AM
pulpo
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 211 Posts

Just wanted to say if your iPhone cable is coming unplugged over bumps it might be just lint and dirt in the charge port of the phone. Get a paper clip and clean the lint out and you will find a much sturdier connection. I have to do this every couple months just to charge my phone.

It's interesting that people report such poor audio quality. I've got an '04 C4S with a CDR23 and presumably stock amp and speakers so I only listen to CDs and the audio quality is what I would consider seriously average. Maybe I am just not an audiophile but it's okay for me.

I do think I'll end up with a PCCM+ one day though.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:29 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by meirschwartz
Same here.
I have the leather Kuda phone mount combined with Pro Clip phone holder with the integrated lighting cable, and I absolutely love it.
the connection to my Pioneer double DIN is always stable, gives me access to my phone and most important for me, charging it.

I have the same combo for my Macan S with an aftermarket Carply I’ve installed.
I have that same leather phone mount in my turbo! I thought it was oem. I have been looking for a phone holder to attach to it the one that was on there is much too big for my phone and must be proprietary for a case.Wonder if they still make them?
Old 05-10-2022, 09:09 AM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranon
I have that same leather phone mount in my turbo! I thought it was oem. I have been looking for a phone holder to attach to it the one that was on there is much too big for my phone and must be proprietary for a case.Wonder if they still make them?
what phone do you have?
In the macan I have the holder for the iPhone 12 Pro Max, which is pretty large.
the holder works very well with a case. I need to order one for the 911 ( the one in the pic is for iPhone 8)
here is a picture of the Macan.

Old 05-10-2022, 09:52 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

I have iphone 12 mini. My holder in the Macan is up high on the dash. I dont have carplay in the Mcan so I need it up high for WAZE!

Quick Reply: 996 Stereo Upgrades in Here