Sponsored by:

Gambled and Lost

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
All the damage in 4k because of a missing o-ring. This is insane...
We lost an entire space shuttle and her crew due to an ineffective/defective O-ring design... part cost does not equal importance... O-rings have critical roles. Terrible to see a QA miss from the factory like that.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:56 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Back to the the original topic, OP got a big surprise he wasn't expecting in engine repairs which involved unforeseen costs. He took it to one of the top guys in the Porsche repair biz and had an excellent experience(as most have in service, support, product). Now he can sleep easily and look forward to driving it every day. Glad it all worked out OP.

Bottom line is people might have issues with his marketing technique, self boasting, scare tactics, etc.(I certainly do at times). But if you have the money and want one of the best, I don't think anyone is gonna walk away disappointed(or even ripped off). Some people would rather pay extra for that type of security and track record. Different strokes for different folks...
Old 10-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
^^^ Missing the point.^^^
Yes you are! What possible point could you have in your never ending quest to drive away the single most important contributor to this & any forum for M96/97 engine owners? Not to mention a paying sponsor!
Old 10-11-2013, 03:35 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
What possible point could you have in your never ending quest to drive away the single most important contributor to this & any forum for M96/97 engine owners?
Seriously? Time to take your meds.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
Seriously? Time to take your meds.
Just when I thought you too were incapable of making a positive contribution to this thread ya came thru, thanks.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Back to the the original topic, OP got a big surprise he wasn't expecting in engine repairs which involved unforeseen costs. He took it to one of the top guys in the Porsche repair biz and had an excellent experience(as most have in service, support, product). Now he can sleep easily and look forward to driving it every day. Glad it all worked out OP.

Bottom line is people might have issues with his marketing technique, self boasting, scare tactics, etc.(I certainly do at times). But if you have the money and want one of the best, I don't think anyone is gonna walk away disappointed(or even ripped off). Some people would rather pay extra for that type of security and track record. Different strokes for different folks...
I appreciate the kind words. To some people confidence can come across as boasting, and I get that.

I am completely biased on all these topics because I see and deal with the worst of the worst and we very seldom work with simple issues. Funeral Directors see death daily and thats what they work with. They have to become de-sensitized to it and we do the same with engines. Each week we never know what new thing we are going to find. Heck in the past few days its been less about failure and more about huge new potentials from my CNC cylinder head profiles. Here's a little sample of what is to come :-)

Stock 3.6 M97 on the left. R51 CNC on the right. Development is so much more fun at levels well over 425HP!
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2013, 05:38 PM
rglbegl
Racer

This looks like an exciting thread.
Why all the bashing? Is it about car issues? Or people issues?

- Sorry, been using the search function for a few days now, reading a bunch of boring threads to get to know my new car. Found this thread, it was way more exciting than learning about my light switch issue.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:54 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

I don't have an issue paying Jake's asking price for his product. It helped me sell my 996 in a 24hrs. I have pissed away more on stupid mods with my 996 than that IMS bearing...
Old 10-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I was in the bashing camp prior to needing him. He helped me out. My response is not meant to blow smoke up his a$$. The guy knows these engines........period. I'm with Chao.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:37 PM
samba-lee
Instructor

I'm only a week into 996 ownership (2002 C4) with 90k miles. The car cost about $18000 so is very much at the cheap end. I have my fingers crossed but I only live 10 miles from the famous Hartech in the UK who routinely carry out full rebuilds and upgrades. I bought a cheap car as I factored in a $10k rebuild if it ever fails on me. If it does then I'll have a sorted engine in a car that cost $110,000 when new so is well worth the money to fix it, after all it's still that same car.

Lee
Old 10-11-2013, 07:22 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
The guy knows these engines.
That was never in question.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:58 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Stock 3.6 M97 on the left. R51 CNC on the right. Development is so much more fun at levels well over 425HP!
This is one of those rarities we see from Jake. No pics of broken obliterated pieces for once. You really need to find another color though so newbies do not confuse these with $ex toys. Especially when you label the one that has a bigger impression with the word "in". Lol.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:32 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I was in the bashing camp prior to needing him. He helped me out. My response is not meant to blow smoke up his a$$. The guy knows these engines........period. I'm with Chao.
Pete was even kind of concerned about divulging his Rennlist identity to me while I was helping him.. He didn't do it at first:-)
That was funny for sure, and now he has been on both sides of the fence.

Within the next year my online presence will diminish to zero in terms if forums and etc. I am looking forward to the change.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
We lost an entire space shuttle and her crew due to an ineffective/defective O-ring design... part cost does not equal importance... O-rings have critical roles. Terrible to see a QA miss from the factory like that.
The O ring was's defective it was used outside of its design envelope. The engineer was telling everyone that the freezing temps the night before will make the seal leak but the higher ups were so confident in the shuttle's track record that they ignored it. Google GROUPTHINK and how it is a perfect example for Challenger. I'm willing to bet that the intermediate shaft bearing approval at Porsche had some of this happening too.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The O ring thats in this position in the 9a1 has no problem with doing its job... The issue is is wasn't installed at the factory. I guess someone forgot to program that robot.

Quick Reply: Gambled and Lost