996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Gambled and Lost

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Not knowing the entire history of the car its hard to say anything conclusively.

Theres always the possibility that it was just a junk chain that had a soft roller. In that case nothing would have kept the roller from failing.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Do the piton tops have any sign of detonation(pitting/craters)?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

A very small amount. That's common with 4 valve engines. The wear is directly under the beam of the rod, where it's always at with high cylinder pressures or detonation.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:32 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrrhdmust
Given the amount of internal, and not visible to me, damage - I am extremely glad that I selected Jake's IMS solution, as opposed to just swapping out the IMS bearing myself, or using a different shop. It could have really cost me, had Jake not caught it!

The fly in the ointment is I have only owned the car for a month and put about 2k miles on it. : (
I get that right now it probably feels pretty crappy, glass half, or near empty - but I predict that after you have some more seat time you will see the glass is full.

You will have the opportunity to enjoy a heck of lot more than 2k miles and not be burdened with the anxiety of the ultimate "what if".
Old 10-16-2013, 12:22 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo
I get that right now it probably feels pretty crappy, glass half, or near empty - but I predict that after you have some more seat time you will see the glass is full.

You will have the opportunity to enjoy a heck of lot more than 2k miles and not be burdened with the anxiety of the ultimate "what if".
+1.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:35 AM
Steve2112
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thank Jake for his service - I shipped my car when it came off the CPO warranty from Rhode Island to Georgia. I had the IMS service done, as well as other preventative items like the water pump and clutch (as well as other items) replaced while everything was out. The customer service was great, and I was happy with everything. I just wish I still had my car - had to sell due to a medical issue and loss of income
Old 10-16-2013, 10:08 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Yep. "Gambled and won".

This is far from a "loss".

Here's the secondary, collateral damage the piece of timing chain created when it passed through the scavenge pump

And here's the rod bearing.. It was just worn..

And here's a whole bank of worn rod bearings, the knock sensors will also be replaced, because they obviously weren't effective.

And the anti-wear coating of this piston is also compromised, this would have led to a failed cylinder in the future

And that piston had some companions, incidentally they were the same pistons that had the worn rod bearings. Detonation anyone?
I don't see that damage as that chain fragment running through that pump. But I could be wrong. I would like to see the housing that pump went into. How does a chunk that big get into the pickup with a mesh on it?

While I agree that detonation can cause the bearing wear, so can a lot of other possible problems.

Curious how you know the knock sensors are not working? They are pretty simple devices. Doesn't the ECM store knock incidents? How do you test knock sensors?

My guess is the oil ran low (maybe more than once) that would also cause the damage you see on the skirts. And certainly would affect the chain.

Originally Posted by soverystout
Jeeze, you do great work but at $18K for reconstruction was steep, at $20K it gets crazy, at $24K it just makes no sense and is a bit insane IMO.

But, lucky for you, the world is littered with the insane
150k for a car is crazy too. But yet they still sell lots of them.......
Old 10-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The only scavenge pumps that have wire mesh are very late that incorporate the power brake booster vacuum pump into them. Scavenge pumps pre 2005 do not have this.

The chunk of the pump that's damaged has an imprint of the timing chain roller that we found in the sump that matches perfectly. I had said from the beginning that I expected to find this, but I expected the pump to be broken. Typically when this happens the debris locks the pump solid and gives a symptom, in this case that did not occur and the piece just returned to the sump through the secondary oil delivery channels and through the swirl pots and into the sump. Now you see why we pull swirl pots in every pre- qualification inspection to look for debris inside them too. Some debris will stay inside them and not be evident in the sump.

As for the wear on the rod bearings:
We were going to change out the bearings anyway, because we were already there. I am now concerned more with ensuring what led to this is remedied more than anything else. That means new knock sensors at minimum.

Perhaps someone down the line refused to use premium grade fuel?

All that matters is the issue was discovered, was properly diagnosed and the owner did the right thing. We were then able to find others issues looming and remedy those for no additional costs.

We will be measuring the big end and small end sizing of the connecting rod housing bores to ensure they have not been impacted by detonation as well. If they were, we will change out the rods.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:28 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

but I expected the pump to be broken. Typically when this happens the debris locks the pump solid and gives a symptom,
This is the first thing to go through my mind as well. A piece that big should have locked it up solid.

Interesting.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
This is the first thing to go through my mind as well. A piece that big should have locked it up solid.

Interesting.
This is a rare instance where the debris was ingested at the very edge of the vane and it pushed to one side more than the center of the vane. This found the debris making its way into the aluminum housing and then getting ejected from the pump housing and into the flow of secondary oil, back to the swirl pots.

The damage was limited to one portion of the pump, so that screams that the debris went in and out fast and didn't make it through a full cycle of the pump. If it had, the pump would have seized for sure.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:22 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
150k for a car is crazy too. But yet they still sell lots of them.......
The original owner of my car said it was $130K out the door back in 2000 when he bought it.

The 991 4S Cab in the new Porsche dealership had a price tag of $160K+ on it, and that's BEFORE the 13% tax we pay around here, bringing the total to over $180K out the door.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:23 PM
aviography
Drifting

This is a rare instance where the debris was ingested at the very edge of the vane and it pushed to one side more than the center of the vane. This found the debris making its way into the aluminum housing and then getting ejected from the pump housing and into the flow of secondary oil, back to the swirl pots.

The damage was limited to one portion of the pump, so that screams that the debris went in and out fast and didn't make it through a full cycle of the pump. If it had, the pump would have seized for sure.
Hence the OP actually got lucky!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by aviography
The original owner of my car said it was $130K out the door back in 2000 when he bought it.

The 991 4S Cab in the new Porsche dealership had a price tag of $160K+ on it, and that's BEFORE the 13% tax we pay around here, bringing the total to over $180K out the door.
Whats crazy is buying a brand new '14 GT3, driving it till the first snowfall (less than 2K miles) and then shipping it down to Flat 6 Innovations. We'll be tearing it apart for no reason other than to make it something the factory didn't... Potentially a 4.5 liter! We'll only know how big we can go once we machine the factory cylinders away :-)

Thats crazy... I love it. :-)
Old 10-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Will those pistons be re coated or time for a new set?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you show a pic opf the swilr pots?

Quick Reply: Gambled and Lost