Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Very well stated Jake.. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

If the Wright bothers didn't fly, there wouldn't be an airplane today? If you never pulled that first intermediate shaft bearing than no one would have done it?
Old 10-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

I can't believe it took you this long to post. I was starting to think you were sick.

The fact is we pioneered the IMS Retrofit components and processes. As much as you'd like to, you can;t take that away from us.

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 10-05-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:47 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed. Boring Saturday night....
Old 10-05-2013, 10:31 PM
jrrhdmust
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Well for the poster asking about the car it's Seal grey, with Porsche 2 piece rims.

I was generalizing Jake did not suggest rebuild, but rather exactly as he indicated.

Although, I have personally known auto shops to try and take advantage of people, I don't believe that is the case with Jake. There are numerous reasons for my trusting him, suffice it to say this is not my first rodeo and I do my homework. Jake spoke to me personally, and offered numerous times that I could come and pick up the car. With my personal integrity, I would never pass the car on to someone else. Secondly, I might be able to drive it for a while, but I would never trust the car. So Jake fixing it is my best option.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

I would like to think I'm one of the more reasonable gearheads here. Yes, you were the first to have the resources and more importantly the ***** to do this but that doesn't mean other, in time, would not have come up with the same solution. Gaugeman69 and somewhat me, came with with the same thing as the Solution, months before it was announced. I still have the napkin dwawings/sketches and the bearing we were going to use in my engine repair. It's all in the thread, far away from this nutty forum, in the Canadian forum. Go have a look, it's called "I dragged home one of these". There is nothing wrong with more than one people coming up with the same idea, just don't make is sounds like I did and and no one else ever would. Go to the 928 forum and see how good the back yard engineering works there. Everyone shares their ideas, even if it's a radical one. You have a company to run and I understand that, I don't have those limitations. Do you still remenber how that used to be before it got all complicated? I'm one of the frew gearheads that understands where you are coming from. I'm going back to drinking.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Gaugeman69 and somewhat me, came with with the same thing as the Solution, months before it was announced.
I saw that and was impressed, but just about 3 months before that on another forum someone else beat you to it and posted it, too. That was over a decade after the IMS Solution was invented and we were already sitting back waiting the 33 months to receive our patent.

The very first idea/invention/ development that I had for the M96 engine was the IMS Solution. The story is told pretty well in the Excellence feature article, or at least it should be, based on the extensive interview they gave Charles and I..

I have no limitations, owning my company offers resources, not limitations. This is how we can create our engines and not buy off the shelf parts, and how we utilize our own developments and processes to carry out these repairs and build turnkey engines.

Over time someone would have had to have actually used their heads and came up with a fix, if not, that really spells the end of mechanical aptitude in today's world. Today if it can't be fixed or installed using a keyboard, people just don't get it.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

I swear we did not make the connection to that Pelican post that had the oil fed ball bearing post. Yes, it gave me ideas, and you can see that in my thread, but the idea of the simple bearing came to use at the bar, shooting ideas between each other. Gugugeman even called me a chicken not going with it it but, I only am a shade tree gearhead and couldn't risk to test this idea with the only engine I can barely afford. Rest asure, I was happy when you annouced the release the Solution. It was all driven by pride that many brains can think alike, nothing more. When a solution to a problem is somewhat logical, other will come up with it too. It's only logical.....as Spok would say.....I'm watching the latest Star Trek right now.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Anyone who has extensive aircooled Porsche experience would easily come up with the plain bearing idea. Before we released the IMS SOlution I would pass it around at my classes just to blow minds and in every class I'd have 4-5 guys say that they had thought of the same thing.

Some talk about it. Others do it.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Yes, yes....many talk about it any only a few do it but we were extremly close to pull it off onna whim. The ONLY limitation was the cost of a used engine. I could not affor a faliure of anything at all. My project was based on hopes and wishes and I gor very lucky that my engine was fixable.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Zanzibar Red 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jake
Will there be a certified shop in douth Florida anytime soon ?
Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I have a class in S Florida next month. If any attendees of that class impress me they may receive an invitation to begin the processes and evaluations.
Becoming a Certified Installer isn't cheap or easy so not all of those who initially receive an invitation will make the grade.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

"The Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinion of the Sheep..."

Apparently, it does.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
"The Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinion of the Sheep..."

Apparently, it does.
Only when the opinions are misconstrued, off base or completely incorrect. My initial response was to set the record straight- thats all.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:19 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Only when the opinions are misconstrued, off base or completely incorrect. My initial response was to set the record straight- thats all.
Then somehow it magically starts sounding like an advertisement and sermon, usually after the first paragraph or so...

Quick Reply: Gambled and Lost