Sponsored by:

Gambled and Lost

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:29 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by doud1987
Ok but I don't know how much your reconstruction costs...
Are we talking 5k? 8k? 10k? 15K? for the repair of jrrhdmust ?
Price of admission begins at 20K for an elective build. Most are 22-24K these days.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The engine was pulled apart today. After inspection of every single chain roller we finally found where the debris was generated from. Its conclusive, the chain was failing.

As I had stated earlier, would probably occur we also found a scavenge pump that has "consumed" the offending piece of debris and ran it through the super tight internal clearances, thus creating secondary collateral damage. This usually leads to a failed pump that will break and created tertiary damages that lead to further failure, to include retarded exhaust valve timing on that particular bank of cylinders. Luckily this did not occur and the piece of debris only was delivered back to the oil sump, where we found it during our pre-qualification process for the IMS Solution.

The damage didn't end there, the rod bearings were heavily worn and appear to have been the victim of detonation. Most all were worn through their dermis level of materials and a few were worn all the way into the copper layer.

We fully documented the teardown and I will share pics later. Funny thing is, I didn't have any Rennlist Volunteers agree to come spend their time along side us while we took it apart. Kind of disappointing.

Pictures posted to facebook later today. Nothing feels better than saving an engine from mass catastrophe based on experience and a few clues.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Yep. "Gambled and won".

This is far from a "loss".

Here's the secondary, collateral damage the piece of timing chain created when it passed through the scavenge pump

And here's the rod bearing.. It was just worn..

And here's a whole bank of worn rod bearings, the knock sensors will also be replaced, because they obviously weren't effective.

And the anti-wear coating of this piston is also compromised, this would have led to a failed cylinder in the future

And that piston had some companions, incidentally they were the same pistons that had the worn rod bearings. Detonation anyone?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Thanks for sharing. The detonation stressed the the chain and caused the faliure?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Imo000
Thanks for sharing. The detonation stressed the the chain and caused the faliure?
No detonation would only create the rod bearing wear. This engine had compound issues, all of them with no symptoms.

What leads to most of these issues is poor boundary layer protection and too long of service interval.

Note that the other rollers in that vicinity are also starting to wear. This leads me to believe that the heat treat on this chain wasn't proper, and a lot of variables lead to this.

Few failures have a single contributing factor.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:10 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
No detonation would only create the rod bearing wear. This engine had compound issues, all of them with no symptoms.

What leads to most of these issues is poor boundary layer protection and too long of service interval.

Note that the other rollers in that vicinity are also starting to wear. This leads me to believe that the heat treat on this chain wasn't proper, and a lot of variables lead to this.

Ah! Peace across the 49th Parallel. Very nice, indeed!

By '... too long of service interval', do you just mean oil replacement intervals or do you mean more ...?
Martin
Old 10-15-2013, 04:37 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Price of admission begins at 20K for an elective build. Most are 22-24K these days.
Jeeze, you do great work but at $18K for reconstruction was steep, at $20K it gets crazy, at $24K it just makes no sense and is a bit insane IMO.

But, lucky for you, the world is littered with the insane
Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by soverystout
Jeeze, you do great work but at $18K for reconstruction was steep, at $20K it gets crazy, at $24K it just makes no sense and is a bit insane IMO.

But, lucky for you, the world is littered with the insane
Its all insane.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks for the informative pictures and explanation. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but were you saying you thought the detonation was due to a breakdown of the oil (i.e. poor boundary layer protection)? I've never heard of poor lubrication being a source of detonation, short of cylinder wall damage acting as an ignition source. Can you explain how the two are linked? Thanks,

Shawn
Old 10-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Poor film strength will allow the oil to shear more easily. Detonation will "squeeze" the oil from the journal and allow metal/ metal contact and wear the rod bearings. Detonation is equal to hitting these rod bearings with a 10 pound hammer thousands of times per minute.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:41 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Detonation from what? bad gas?
Old 10-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Detonation from what? bad gas?
Who knows? One bad knock sensor could have led to this. Or one track event with crappy oil.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Okay, thanks. So you weren't saying detonation was due to film strength, you were saying the poor film strength allowed the damage to the bearings to occur. Any idea why he/she had detonation to start with?

-Nevermind, you answered my question above.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:50 PM
jrrhdmust
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Given the amount of internal, and not visible to me, damage - I am extremely glad that I selected Jake's IMS solution, as opposed to just swapping out the IMS bearing myself, or using a different shop. It could have really cost me, had Jake not caught it!

The fly in the ointment is I have only owned the car for a month and put about 2k miles on it. : (
Old 10-15-2013, 08:32 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

So, crappy oil left in too long (among other contributors).

Quick Reply: Gambled and Lost