996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has YOUR car suffered an IMS failure
Yes, the IMS failed
8.61%
No issues with IMS
91.39%
Voters: 1602. You may not vote on this poll

IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 03:26 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,100 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Gentlemen, IMHO I think this one is played out. Porschetech3...suggestion...put Boxman on ignore. I appreciate everything you contribute to this forum, knowledge, experience, etc. You share unselfishly and we all stand to gain more knowledge from your experience. Like the old Beatles song...Let it Be.
Thanks Joe, I think I will do just that (ignor).
Old 06-07-2021, 04:20 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't fool yourself in thinking I'll play your silly game. You're obviously not capable of having an online discussion without getting overly emotional and desperately marking your territory first. Yet you make outlandish and irrational claims that you don't even dare quantify or elaborate upon when asked.

Like you saying the oil filter will catch ALL debris from a failing IMSB, telling people not to worry about it.

You move goalposts around. First it's metallic shavings which, no, categorically don't make it through the filter. Then it's 10-micron sized metallic dust, next thing you know an IMSB grenading equals half a cup of 3 micron-sized dust. Be concise. It's possible you mistake the typical oil filter efficiency ratings (99.9% at 20 microns) for an absolute limit. Like you think an oil filter catches 99.9% at 20 microns and suddenly 0 % at 19 microns. Those ratings are for single-pass as well and nonzero efficiency extends quite a way down from the rated size - albeit not 99.9% but a tad lower. Move the goalposts some more.

Please do let me know if you will double down on your claim that sump splash oil will hit the cylinders, and whether or not the pressurized splash feed of clean oil would wash that away in a single stroke. Jake fell completely silent when I contested him on that claim.

While you're at it, regardless of the origin of the debris, which will survive the longest? An open ceramic bearing sitting in oil laden with metallic debris, or a sealed (intact seal) generic bearing?

Old 06-07-2021, 04:26 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Jake fell completely silent when I contested him on that claim.
Because Jake doesn't give a damn about arguing with a person that hasn't never completed the build of an M9X engine himself.

​​​​​​​user 63031 has proven to only cause problems on this forum. He has targeted all the technically experienced people here, and clearly has a motive for his conduct.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:27 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Your ad-hominems are becoming transparent, Jake.

It's a fact that you can't help arguing with critics of your products ad nauseam, right up until the point where you're forced to give the answer that will not speak to the benefit of your product or activities anymore. We have landed at this point before, you stopped responding then too. My motive is to educate people about an inherent weakness of open bearings and the hypocrisy of dubbing it 'the strongest bearing ever' in your PR while the fineprint says it wouldn't even survive the tiniest amount of metallic debris.

Yes, I know I am doing so in the largest LN echochamber on the internet. I'm not sure what 'motive' you're insinuating I have, do speak up. Your motives, however, are 100% commercial in origin.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:56 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Stefan,
We know why you are here.. The same reasons why you have contaminated the Facebook pages with the same actions. We know who your friends are, and we know why you are saying what you are saying. Several people have picked you pout of the crowd, and messaged me. We were all thinking the same thing, and at least 6 of them nailed you.

That said, you have zero first hand experience. You have sat around and read posts, and talked to your local buddies and you want to help them. We all get that. You hate posts from professionals, even though we are the ones who have to pay so we can come here to argue with you. I am sure that makes you smile.

FYI- LN performed 100% of the ceramic bearing development. My role in those days was to develop the tools, retrofit procedure, and train the certified installers. When you call the "open ball bearing" mine, it isn't. The single row pro bearing also wasn't my concept. LN developed the bearing, and I came up with the Faultless tool, method of delivery, and the adapter sleeve to compress the internal wire lock to retain the bearing. The reason that I have not commented on the ceramic bearing is because that aspect of the development was never my department.

How can you "educate people" when the people you want to teach already know more than you do? Even the biggest novice here that has performed his own DIY IMSB Retrofit knows more about this process, and pulls rank on you when int comes to first hand experience.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:21 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Stefan,
We know why you are here.. The same reasons why you have contaminated the Facebook pages with the same actions. We know who your friends are, and we know why you are saying what you are saying. Several people have picked you pout of the crowd, and messaged me. We were all thinking the same thing, and at least 6 of them nailed you.

That said, you have zero first hand experience. You have sat around and read posts, and talked to your local buddies and you want to help them. We all get that. You hate posts from professionals, even though we are the ones who have to pay so we can come here to argue with you. I am sure that makes you smile.

FYI- LN performed 100% of the ceramic bearing development. My role in those days was to develop the tools, retrofit procedure, and train the certified installers. When you call the "open ball bearing" mine, it isn't. The single row pro bearing also wasn't my concept. LN developed the bearing, and I came up with the Faultless tool, method of delivery, and the adapter sleeve to compress the internal wire lock to retain the bearing. The reason that I have not commented on the ceramic bearing is because that aspect of the development was never my department.

How can you "educate people" when the people you want to teach already know more than you do? Even the biggest novice here that has performed his own DIY IMSB Retrofit knows more about this process, and pulls rank on you when int comes to first hand experience.
​​​​​​​
Stefan? Hahaha this takes the cake, who might that be? Are you going full conspiracy mode now?

Let's have it. I provide full identity proof with the cooperation of the mods and when I turn out not to be this 'Stefan' you will send me an LN Solution kit free of charge. Deal?
Old 06-07-2021, 06:30 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Stefan is your other alias, so of course it won't match up with you here.
The IMS Solution isn't mine to give away. I have to buy them just like everyone else does. Why would you even want a Solution? I guess you'd sell it, or trade it for a roller bearing, since you hate the Solution so much.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:38 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Stefan is your other alias, so of course it won't match up with you here.
The IMS Solution isn't mine to give away. I have to buy them just like everyone else does. Why would you even want a Solution? I guess you'd sell it, or trade it for a roller bearing, since you hate the Solution so much.
Hahah, this is absolute gold. Let's set it up bro, whoever this 'Stefan' is. Let's make the bet. We'll figure out how to manage proving it after, but put your money where your mouth is. You buy me an LN Solution kit and dropship it, and if somehow I turn out to be affiliated to this 'Stefan' I'll come sit in your class and pay for it too. Lets goooo!

Honestly, I'm not expecting you to bite. Big silence from here probably, or a massive cop-out. Again, willing to reply and argue ad nauseam right up to the point where you might possibly actually be wrong about something. My offer stands. Have the guts to put your money where your mouth is. Show some bite with all that bark.

Regarding the Solution; you should dive back in my post history, on pure technical grounds I have only ever criticized your glass bearing and spin-on filter adapter.

Last edited by User 63031; 06-07-2021 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:05 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

You'd never attend my class, and I have no parts to give you/ bet with.
The best thing we can both do is stop exchanging information with each other. You clearly have an issue with everything I am about, and will stop at nothing in every post to create drama.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:11 PM
User 63031
Instructor

What a cop-out.

You make a pretty wild and embarrassing accusation which shows exactly what's wrong with your modus operandi (assuming to always be right instead of assuming even the best might be wrong about some things), and now you come with this massive cop-out again.

Ï'm a man of integrity above all, if I'd lose this bet I'll attend your class and wear the dunce cap. You probably realized you are dead wrong on this one by now, so at least have the decency to apologize for your ridiculous accusation.

If you stand by it, make the bet. We'll make it into a bottle of good whisky for my part. But have some character. If you're so confident to go all out with accusations like this, have some confidence to show your backbone or own up to your mistake for once.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:21 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by user 63031
What a cop-out.

You make a pretty wild and embarrassing accusation which shows exactly what's wrong with your modus operandi (assuming to always be right instead of assuming even the best might be wrong about some things), and now you come with this massive cop-out again.

Ï'm a man of integrity above all, if I'd lose this bet I'll attend your class and wear the dunce cap. You probably realized you are dead wrong on this one by now, so at least have the decency to apologize for your ridiculous accusation.

If you stand by it, make the bet. We'll make it into a bottle of good whisky for my part. But have some character. If you're so confident to go all out with accusations like this, have some confidence to show your backbone or own up to your mistake for once.
There's no way to prove who is who, especially with the troll on Social Media, and you know that. If you are not "Stefan" you carry yourself the same as he does, write the same way he does, and support the same things that he does, and I'm not the only one who has noticed it.
You won't attend my class, and you won't buy an IMS Solution. You will continue to do what you've always done, which is cause trouble, no matter who you are.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:46 PM
User 63031
Instructor

There's no way to prove who is who, especially with the troll on Social Media, and you know that. If you are not "Stefan" you carry yourself the same as he does, write the same way he does, and support the same things that he does, and I'm not the only one who has noticed it.
You won't attend my class, and you won't buy an IMS Solution. You will continue to do what you've always done, which is cause trouble, no matter who you are.
Nonsense, mate. And absolutely disgraceful. You're dead wrong and apparently not man enough to admit it. I can likely have it proven within the hour if you link me to one of his posts.

Here's your first clue. From what I gather based on your posts, "Stefan" hates your LN Solution. Would "Stefan" have said this? I'll quote;
Originally Posted by user 63031
Pre-qualified or not, the IMS solution is always going to be the best option to 'fix' the IMSB 'problem', I don't think you'll deny this. [...] And even for your generic amateur that just wishes to address the IMSB without dropping 10-20 grand on a new engine, IMS solution is going to be his best option regardless of pre-qual.

It seems you keep jumping high and low that your remark was justified even if factually 100% false. If this is your true character, then maybe others will start understanding why I have problems with your absolute refusal to admit the existence of any weak point on that beloved glass IMS Retrofit. Because even if you yourself would know you were wrong, you would still not admit it.

Last edited by User 63031; 06-07-2021 at 08:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
brontosaurus (08-17-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 11:36 PM
10/10ths
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Boxman

I want to make sure I understand what your argument is all about.

Is your beef that the ceramic ball bearing requires an inspection before install that certifies there is no metal in the oil before the installation and then if metal appears after the installation, the ceramic oil fed ball bearing IMS needs to be yanked out and replaced with a factory sealed unit because the metal in the oil will make if fail and the sealed unit can survive with metal in the oil?

Is that it?

The following 2 users liked this post by 10/10ths:
DSC800 (06-08-2021), User 63031 (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 12:49 AM
foodbiker

Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Blowing the whistle here!!!

EVERYONE will be taking a break on this topic while we sort this out.

Meanwhile, everyone - please step back and cool off.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:11 AM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 179 Posts

2/98 C2 with 99k miles. Replaced as a "while I'm in there" ...that said, it's in perfect working order

The following users liked this post:
user 8298308 (06-19-2021)

Quick Reply: IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)