Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 08:51 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by jobyt
Here you go: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x75x1tn

Not sure how long it will be up. Zero time spent on the convertible top, installed IMS Solution (sorry for the spoilers...)
Thanks for posting. I'm not sure I would be able to stay awake - I get up early.
Got to watch, and rewatch. No commercials was a big bonus. I had to figure out the skip-ahead feature needed some patience. My wifi source (phone) lost battery power, so I missed the last minute. Didn't get to see what Mike sold it for.

A lot of good repair coverage. Captured a few of the big hitters. Hadn't anticipated the wheel bearing job. That was nice. The interior work was excellent. Other than too much Mike, I rate it two thumbs up.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:21 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Thanks for posting. I'm not sure I would be able to stay awake - I get up early.
Got to watch, and rewatch. No commercials was a big bonus. I had to figure out the skip-ahead feature needed some patience. My wifi source (phone) lost battery power, so I missed the last minute. Didn't get to see what Mike sold it for.

A lot of good repair coverage. Captured a few of the big hitters. Hadn't anticipated the wheel bearing job. That was nice. The interior work was excellent. Other than too much Mike, I rate it two thumbs up.
$22,500. Pretty good price for the work done. I'd have bought mine at that price if the same work had been done (except big NO to convertible - wanted a coupé)

So with ya on "too much Mike". That problem has existed with the show from Day 1.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:24 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

3.6L engine
Old 04-17-2019, 10:50 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts
Default The IMS Solution on Wheeler Dealer

Good to know the Wheeler Dealers recognize the best IMS bearing to put in these cars - The IMS Solution!
Old 04-17-2019, 11:29 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 107 Posts

There was one huge problem. During the purchase, Mike closed the driver's door by pushing on the glass. Doesn't he understand proper P-Car protocol? Terrible, shocking.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:37 PM
ldp82
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was pleasantly surprised with this episode.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:57 PM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jobyt
Here you go: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x75x1tn

Not sure how long it will be up. Zero time spent on the convertible top, installed IMS Solution (sorry for the spoilers...)
Link worked perfectly, thank you. Great video. They did a super job.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:58 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I like Ant Anstead every bit as Ed, maybe more. He's a man's man and like the way he carries himself (no homo). The sad thing for Ed China is the show really did not change all that much so I fear he walked away over nothing. Can't wait for the new series. With Grand Tour coming to an end, as we know it, this is now the best motoring show available.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:14 AM
HoustonCgrBkr
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

They hit the IMS. RMS, AOS and bearing. I was fascinated with the leather splitter. I was yelling at the TV when he walked out with the console “how much?!?!”. 600, seemed a good price I wonder if the regular viewer will get that price. Interesting about the air filter. How many on here have that kind of air filter. They did get a pretty good car to start. I recall on the British one they did an air cooled 911 and it had way more minor issues to deal with. $22500 seems like a great price for a car with 65k miles and the IMS solution done.

they made it look so easy for a few minutes I thought, hell, I could do it myself...lol. Then my wife walks past and says “You will break the car”, bringing me back to reality. Lol
Old 04-18-2019, 12:41 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

True, for Ant the IMS Solution, RMS, AOS, clutch, even wheel bearings jobs are no challenges for him, looks so easy, incredible... Ant can really do anything, very cool episode, I really enjoyed it, it's like seeing my car on the show, hehheh :-) Cheers,
Old 04-18-2019, 12:54 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

I never watch TV. I didn't;t even know this was coming on, till someone shot me a text while they were installing my IMS Solution.

Watching that install made me cringe... granted, this isn't a technical show, but now we are going to have all sorts of people thinking you can get away without pre- qualification of the engine, locking the engine at TDC #1, not locking the cams, and more.

This reminded me of why I don't watch TV.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:23 AM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I never watch TV. I didn't;t even know this was coming on, till someone shot me a text while they were installing my IMS Solution.

Watching that install made me cringe... granted, this isn't a technical show, but now we are going to have all sorts of people thinking you can get away without pre- qualification of the engine, locking the engine at TDC #1, not locking the cams, and more.

This reminded me of why I don't watch TV.
Exactly, I thought what about putting the engine at TDC, locking the cams etc.? Check the oil filter? For all we know the engine was about to D chunk. Instead, a few taps here and there, and the new bearing is in! I love the magic of TV
Old 04-18-2019, 01:30 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by 318touring
Exactly, I thought what about putting the engine at TDC, locking the cams etc.? Check the oil filter? For all we know the engine was about to D chunk. Instead, a few taps here and there, and the new bearing is in! I love the magic of TV
Horrible, but it could have been worse. At least he liked the design of the IMS Solution.

Like everything today, it's all fake. Its been so long since I watched TV, I couldn't even figure out how to use the damn remote control to turn the show on. 45 seconds into the install procedure, I turned it off and went back to work.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:48 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

I enjoyed the episode - thanks for sharing the link.

Although I miss the amount of technical detail Edd used to provide.

Its become more glitzy... Bring back the old days when they would flash up old ads of the car and meet with owners of perfect condition examples!
Old 04-18-2019, 06:58 AM
User 63031
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
but now we are going to have all sorts of people thinking you can get away without pre- qualification of the engine
This remark always leaves me a bit puzzled - unless you're going to spend 20K, the result is always the same, is it not? Pre-qualified or not, the IMS solution is always going to be the best option to 'fix' the IMSB 'problem', I don't think you'll deny this.

The only point is that if you get a pre-qualification and it fails, you won't install it unless the engine is rebuilt for 10-20K $. If you know from the start that you're not ever going to spend that cash on the engine, then what is the point of getting a pre-qualification? For that particular engine, failed or not, the Solution will still be the best bet to keep it alive the longest for < $2000. With that I think it's wholly in the spirit of the show, it's not a car-restoration show anyway.

And even for your generic amateur that just wishes to address the IMSB without dropping 10-20 grand on a new engine, IMS solution is going to be his best option regardless of pre-qual. There's just no added value in it for them, it will only cost time and money without any upside from knowing their engine passed your test or not.

Quick Reply: Wheeler Dealers 996 Project