996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has YOUR car suffered an IMS failure
Yes, the IMS failed
8.59%
No issues with IMS
91.41%
Voters: 1607. You may not vote on this poll

IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 09:35 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,798 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Yea, well I figured you would cop out. No Curriculum Vitae to substantiate your stance I see...

And you trying to ask a buck of questions at once to deflect and not get cornered into a definitive stance. You are just a person who got lucky once, and got a pat on the back, now trying your luck again to get a pat on the back for being smart, but no dice from me.Your stance and opinion is Bad. I gave many facts, none of which you denied except the saying the debris can't get to the cylinders, (which is a lie). So just feel lucky and be done with it.

If you were really interested in "evidence" there is an old thread on here where someone failled doing just what you did as evidence, and NO I will not go looking for it just for you. You are too lazy to do the work yourself..
Old 06-06-2021, 08:35 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,197 Likes on 766 Posts

Well...ummmm...this is fun...
Old 06-06-2021, 11:26 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Let it rest guys. Time to go for a drive and drive it like you stole it!!
Old 06-06-2021, 02:11 PM
DSC800
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Billup
With everything you said, this is the only piece that matters. You're not going to purchase an LN product, so why keep beating your own dead horse? None of the questions are pertinent to your own situation because your mind is/was made up, and you've made a decision.
Huh? Not allowed to discuss after I've made my decision. I gotta re-read the rules to find that one.

Originally Posted by user 63031
Interesting discussion that flared up again.
Your situation (I followed the links) and spirited exchange with Porschetech3 solidifies my belief that any ball bearing is the poorest choice. An M96 can make non-IMSB metal that can circulate in the sump and this metal can take out the IMSB ball bearing, which pretty much means the entire engine. Think about a Variocam pad failure and the chain hitting metal that otherwise might not be terminal. A sealed ball bearing is probably a better choice but subject to seal failure for reasons discussed.

Explained to me by a mech engineer in summary IIRC: a ball bearing, having a single point of contact with the race, once it has any damage, that damage will hit the race over and over, only getting worse. A roller bearing or plain bearing, having a cumulative contact point area many times greater, if damaged that single point generally doesn't get worse, at least not to the point of self destruction. Also these bearings are more likely to fail over a longer period of time due to a stronger carrier, more bearings and in case of failure, the bearings take up more than 180* so the shaft is less likely to go wild.

IMS Solution = No failures. Cylindrical (roller bearings) = No failures. Both many thousands of installations so the statistics are valid. I will say that if the IMS Solution was approved and warrantied for self installation it would be a best option worthy of a premium price however prequal and installation at $150 hr are not a best option for me. I bought my 996 to wrench myself for enjoyment (and therapy). Avoid the indy and never go to the dealer I say, so far so good.

Lastly (for this post), I highly doubt there is any oil distribution risk. I'm pretty sure the inventor R&D'd that to death. Having oil leave the engine at the very bottom of a street car does bother me a little though.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:37 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,049 Posts

I'll introduce myself; my name is Boxman, called an idiot .
Seriously? The more you talk, the more you remove all doubt.

You need to stop, Boxman. You keep talking in circles.

Trying to compare yourself and your knowledge with Skip (PorscheTech3) is a fool's errand.

Who are we to believe? You, a person that says he's named "user 63031" and called an idiot OR a real person that hasn't had a problem sharing his real name and his real 40+ years of experience in automotive mechanics... more than a decade of that time with Porsche racing and as a Gold Master Tech? A person that just invented a Porsche part that will save a countless number of M9X engines from AOS associated engine failure? https://ultimateaos.com/

Seriously Boxman?

Old 06-07-2021, 03:49 AM
Nick_L
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

B3freak, you're the resident internet-expert of this forum. Remember that time you tried to tell me how sealed ball bearings are greased?
Maybe we need to clear that you're also working for the aftermarket making money off selling these overpriced bearings, so that people know you're biased in the question.

Last edited by Nick_L; 06-07-2021 at 03:53 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:56 AM
User 63031
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Seriously? The more you talk, the more you remove all doubt.

You need to stop, Boxman. You keep talking in circles.

Trying to compare yourself and your knowledge with Skip (PorscheTech3) is a fool's errand.

Who are we to believe? You, a person that says he's named "user 63031" and called an idiot OR a real person that hasn't had a problem sharing his real name and his real 40+ years of experience in automotive mechanics... more than a decade of that time with Porsche racing and as a Gold Master Tech? A person that just invented a Porsche part that will save a countless number of M9X engines from AOS associated engine failure? https://ultimateaos.com/

Seriously Boxman?
That's a lot of ad-hominem to hide the fact that you address absolutely nothing, haha. You do you.

I have no reason to stop addressing this topic so long as cop-out's like Flat 6 Innovations et al, who are always overly verbose and sometimes aggressively defending their product, suddenly do a 180 degree in their approach and turn to complete radio silence so that they don't have to discuss the inherent weaknesses of their product, like in the other thread where I pointed out that his glass bearing that was installed in an otherwise pristine engine needed immediate replacement after that engine shed a small amount of ferrous debris following a track day. I find that sudden silence telling.

Last edited by User 63031; 06-07-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:54 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nick_L
B3freak, you're the resident internet-expert of this forum. Remember that time you tried to tell me how sealed ball bearings are greased?
Maybe we need to clear that you're also working for the aftermarket making money off selling these overpriced bearings, so that people know you're biased in the question.
Oh, we're going down memory lane? Ok, I'll play...
You worked as a janitor for SKF, you loved taking pictures of aircraft, and then tried to become the resident mechanical expert of all things Porsche here on Rennlist.

Way to go Nick. Give yourself a metal!
Old 06-07-2021, 11:12 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

That's a lot of ad-hominem to hide the fact that you address absolutely nothing, haha. You do you.

I have no reason to stop addressing this topic so long as cop-out's like Flat 6 Innovations et al, who are always overly verbose and sometimes aggressively defending their product, suddenly do a 180 degree in their approach and turn to complete radio silence so that they don't have to discuss the inherent weaknesses of their product, like in the other thread where I pointed out that his glass bearing that was installed in an otherwise pristine engine needed immediate replacement after that engine shed a small amount of ferrous debris following a track day. I find that sudden silence telling.
Boxman, I've tried to see your side of the story like a lot of people, but if you think it's wise to install a cheap "$70 bearing" back in the car, go for it! Just don't expect groves of people to rally around you as virtual cheerleaders. We don't even know who you are. You'll respond and say, "That's irrelevant!" However, when you're trying to compare your knowledge with people that have spent the last 20+ years dealing with these issues, it is relevant.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:12 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Originally Posted by b3freak
Boxman, I've tried to see your side of the story like a lot of people, but if you think it's wise to install a cheap "$70 bearing" back in the car, go for it! Just don't expect groves of people to rally around you as virtual cheerleaders. We don't even know who you are. You'll respond and say, "That's irrelevant!" However, when you're trying to compare your knowledge with people that have spent the last 20+ years dealing with these issues, it is relevant.
I'm often slightly amused when people are more interested in a 'knowledge pissing contest' than discussing the specific issues at hand. I'm not interested in 'comparing my knowledge' to porschetech3, lol. I care not for anyone's background. I care for the topic at hand and the arguments provided. "I'm smart" or "I have all this experience so I'm always right" or other appeals to authority don't fly for obvious reasons. That said, when silence ensues from those otherwise extremely vocal and 'ultra-knowledgeable' people as soon as the finger is put on a sore spot, then that is telling.

Why would you need to pull out appeals to 'status', CV's and references (and ad-hominems, the grown-up version of what once was "name-calling" on the playground as a last resort before stomping your feet in frustration) as the only defense against some very simple and easily understood notions? If I'm such an idiot, then it should be child's play to poke the holes in the reasoning and explanations I shared. I find those sudden cop-outs and evasions telling..

Last edited by User 63031; 06-07-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:40 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

I'm often slightly amused when people are more interested in a 'knowledge pissing contest' than discussing the specific issues at hand. I'm not interested in 'comparing my knowledge' to porschetech3, lol. I care not for anyone's background. I care for the topic at hand and the arguments provided. "I'm smart" or "I have all this experience so I'm always right" or other appeals to authority don't fly for obvious reasons. That said, when silence ensues from those otherwise extremely vocal and 'ultra-knowledgeable' people as soon as the finger is put on a sore spot, then that is telling.

Why would you need to pull out appeals to 'status', CV's and references (and ad-hominems, the grown-up version of what once was "name-calling" on the playground as a last resort before stomping your feet in frustration) as the only defense against some very simple and easily understood notions? If I'm such an idiot, then it should be child's play to poke the holes in the reasoning and explanations I shared. I find those sudden cop-outs and evasions telling..
1. because I or anybody else doesn't know who you are, what is your experiance/knowledge
2 it would save time in getting to the bottom by asking questions to on on your level, what ever that is
3 to see if your quoting things from personal experience, some you learned from a third party, or something you read
4 a little knowledge with a big ego can be a dangerous thing because you don't know what you don't know
5 i have little patience to try and figure out your knowledge level or experience level is to ask questions on your level that would reveal your faulty opinions and assumptions
6 You believe the oil filter can catch ALL the debris from a failing IMSB

Old 06-07-2021, 01:30 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Haha, why pretend to suddenly be so accommodating to me and my 'level', especially when so hostile in your other posts? Just rip me a new one publicly at whatever level you feel comfortable, if I'm so glaringly wrong. This pretense is such a sophism to evade answering. Besides, you already copped out before playing the 'derail-an-argument-by-invoking-phallic-measurement-rituals'-card. I'm not here to throw mud or derail the topic into some personal vendetta - we were already done, have a good one mate
Old 06-07-2021, 03:00 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Haha, why pretend to suddenly be so accommodating to me and my 'level', especially when so hostile in your other posts? Just rip me a new one publicly at whatever level you feel comfortable, if I'm so glaringly wrong. This pretense is such a sophism to evade answering. Besides, you already copped out before playing the 'derail-an-argument-by-invoking-phallic-measurement-rituals'-card. I'm not here to throw mud or derail the topic into some personal vendetta - we were already done, have a good one mate
I need to know your knowledge/experience level so I can judge [EDITED BY MODERATOR] when I get you cornered, just to stop you from spreading bad advice and wrong assumptions. Like you saying the oil filter will catch ALL debris from a failing IMSB, telling people not to worry about it. You have I great way of deflecting and side stepping the direct questions,(and asking mutiple questions at once0 and with your "mystery background" that cannot be assessed or evaluated.

And yes it feels personal to me as a professional when people like you make wrong claims and assumptions about important topics than can effect the longevity of the engines., "pretending" to be knowledgeable..

You, on the other hand you may not take it "personal", it's" just a thing to you"..you believe "your opinions is just as good as anyone else". So you can tell lies like "the IMSB debris will not land on the cylinders", and think no one will call you out on it.

I'll play 20 questions with you, ONE AT A TIME, and expose your true stance , opinions and motive and lack of knowledge. I have nothing to hide, and the truth cannot be backed into a corner. I have nothing to gain from this exchange, but you on the other hand want to gain knowledge that you don't have by demanding "proof/evidence" which I really have no interest in educating someone like you, and will NOT be providing "evidence" for you that you are too lazy to find for yourself.

Last edited by foodbiker; 06-08-2021 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Keep it clean...
Old 06-07-2021, 03:19 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,197 Likes on 766 Posts

Gentlemen, IMHO I think this one is played out. Porschetech3...suggestion...put Boxman on ignore. I appreciate everything you contribute to this forum, knowledge, experience, etc. You share unselfishly and we all stand to gain more knowledge from your experience. Like the old Beatles song...Let it Be.
The following 2 users liked this post by DBJoe996:
Charles Navarro (06-07-2021), ZuffenZeus (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 03:24 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Gentlemen, IMHO I think this one is played out. Porschetech3...suggestion...put Boxman on ignore. I appreciate everything you contribute to this forum, knowledge, experience, etc. You share unselfishly and we all stand to gain more knowledge from your experience. Like the old Beatles song...Let it Be.
I totally, 110% agree with Joe on this one. Most of the people that have been on this forum for years know of your expertise and contribution to the Porsche community. I wouldn't waste another minute of energy on these two people.

Quick Reply: IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)