Sponsored by:

Joe Gibbs DT40?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 PM
mmahon04
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Read what the experts say about the issue and you will see the exact opposite of your statement is true. To prevent IMSB issues, they recommend higher viscosity oil, high zinc content, more frequent oil change interval of 3K to 5K. You can find the same articles if you look.
I have. extensively, from Casper Labs, Hartech, Flat6, etc.

IMS bearing failure is a result of the internal seal separating the bearings from the regularly oiled environment failing, which allows the previously greased packed bearing to have the lubrication removed. With the seal still in place and the formerly adequate grease now gone, the bearing is not properly lubricated via splash oiling from the engine.

High zinc, high viscosity, high HT/HS numbers won't help much if the oil can't get there properly. The frequent changes recommended using nectar of the gods is, at best, a stopgap measure to "muddle-through" a compromised bearing environment. Proper fix: open up the bearing, and provide proper lubrication.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:37 PM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Read what the experts say about the issue and you will see the exact opposite of your statement is true. To prevent IMSB issues, they recommend higher viscosity oil, high zinc content, more frequent oil change interval of 3K to 5K. You can find the same articles if you look.
That is correct. Failure of the IMS is influenced by oil. Why change oil infrequently anyway? Relative to the risk taken, what does one gain over the life of a car -- especially an expensive car -- by changing the oil a little less often?

I don't get it.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 PM
mmahon04
Advanced

Originally Posted by peterbigblock
That is correct. Failure of the IMS is influenced by oil. Why change oil infrequently anyway? Relative to the risk taken, what does one gain over the life of a car -- especially an expensive car -- by changing the oil a little less often?

I don't get it.
I never stated I go for the long interval; I am simply saying that oil change frequency/quality will have a marginal influence at best, on a bearing with a compromised design.

I change it frequently anyways, and for other reasons aside from the IMS bearing it should be changed frequently with a higher grade oil.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 PM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmahon04
I have. extensively, from Casper Labs, Hartech, Flat6, etc.

IMS bearing failure is a result of the internal seal separating the bearings from the regularly oiled environment failing, which allows the previously greased packed bearing to have the lubrication removed. With the seal still in place and the formerly adequate grease now gone, the bearing is not properly lubricated via splash oiling from the engine.

High zinc, high viscosity, high HT/HS numbers won't help much if the oil can't get there properly. The frequent changes recommended using nectar of the gods is, at best, a stopgap measure to "muddle-through" a compromised bearing environment. Proper fix: open up the bearing, and provide proper lubrication.
This is, in my opinion, 100% spot on. The "proper" fix might well be an oil-pressure lubricated bearing (similar to a main bearing, for instance) that gets rid of the whole sealed-ball-bearing thing entirely. I'd be willing to bet that the IMS got very little engineering, really. "It's just a shaft to turn the timing chains -- put a bearing on it and lets move on..."
Old 04-16-2013, 06:35 PM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmahon04
I never stated I go for the long interval; I am simply saying that oil change frequency/quality will have a marginal influence at best, on a bearing with a compromised design.

I change it frequently anyways, and for other reasons aside from the IMS bearing it should be changed frequently with a higher grade oil.
My bad on the whole interval thing -- I should've been more clear I was just generally ranting. I don't know that the bearing design is bad so much as using it there is dumb. As sealed ball bearing go, I'd guess it's typical. It's sticking it in there with hot, relatively thin oil that creates trouble. Wheel bearings, for example, withstand much more load than IMS bearings. They're just not constantly soaked in hot motor oil.

From what I've been told, the more frequent changes and higher-viscosity oil make a difference to at least prolong its life.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:27 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by peterbigblock
I'd guess Porsche has oil experts in their employ who know a lot. And they have accountants who know things, too. In the end, they stick a Mobil-1 sticker on their car for whatever reason moves them. They also recommend only Porsche-branded parts for their cars, which I have found on several occasions not to be good advice. And, they're the very same people who brought you 12 glorious years of the intermediate shaft bearing.

YMMV.
It's kinda ironic that people that complain about these cars or have false pretenses are still owners of these "time bombs" and all the sub-par engineering that exists. One has to remember how many 996 cars they produced to put it in perspective and this forum only accounts for a fraction of those numbers. With most of the people on here either being complainers, victims, enthusiasts, or any of the combo. I see the artificial fear that has been perpetuated by certain individuals still hasn't died down...
Old 04-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,286 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
I see the artificial fear that has been perpetuated by certain individuals still hasn't died down...
Artificial?

I took this one apart today...
Old 04-16-2013, 11:44 PM
alpine003
Banned

Artificial was probably the wrong choice of words. Artificially Inflated was probably more appropriate. And yes purdy pictures do tend to add to the fear factor as well.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,395 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Jake, I say Photoshop.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Artificial?

I took this one apart today...
Touche Alp. Looks like a $20,000 piece of scrap metal to me.

Jake, can you give the scoop on what happened?
Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

No photoshop here.. The other pics are at Facebook.com/fixabrokensix for your viewing pleasure. You can also check out "The Grande Failure" pics which belong to a member of this forum. His was taken apart yesterday..

Inflated? That's just my ego from performing all these miracles:-)
Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 PM
alpine003
Banned

Oh boy, here we go again...

For the newbs that are tuning in, just search for any of the numerous i*s threads out there and you will begin to see a common pattern with a certain degree of predictability.

KK is the poster child of this fear as he can't even take a 300 mile trip without sharting his pants and thinking the world will end. when in reality he would've done every safeguard measure only to have a 16yo girl run into him while texting, thus totaling his car and rendering all of his stress and worrying, not to mention all the wasted money, down the drain. The last time I checked, Insurance doesn't cover you for proactive and unnecessary/excessive maintenance items.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:03 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Jake, I assume that this victim was using Mobil 0W-40 and a change interval of 15,000 miles? Man that's sad to see that kind of damage.

Proper fix: open up the bearing, and provide proper lubrication.
Mmahon, you are 100% correct, and that's exactly what I did. Common sense would dictate that Porsche would have done the same rather than use a $12 sealed bearing.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Jake, I assume that this victim was using Mobil 0W-40 and a change interval of 15,000 mile? Man that's sad to see that kind of damage.
Have no idea and don't care!
All that matters is that he won't be after the engine assumes my name.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:27 AM
alpine003
Banned

Jake, I assume that this victim was using Mobil 0W-40 and a change interval of 15,000 miles? Man that's sad to see that kind of
You are something else.

Quick Reply: Joe Gibbs DT40?