What's the best engine oil 996?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Waltheisenberg
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Waltheisenberg,
Many of us have benefited from a lot of free help from Jake. Nobody I know from any Forum has contributed more to solving the many issues of the M96 engine than Jake. I have bought nothing from him.Probably never will.He knows that .Despite that he offered me a free loan of a prototype tool to solve my problem.That was a year ago.
If someone like you with merely 6 posts misrepresents Jake and he leaves the Forum ,you've stuck the rest of us with a rotten deal.
Please debate Jake on facts and knowledge. But please don't insult his honesty,sincerity nor the nature of his business.You clearly know nothing of those issues,yet you dismissively insult him .
We need Jake here way more than some new member like you who ignores our advice and insults others.
I politely suggest you contact Jake directly ,withdraw your gratuitously untrue comment about him and his business.
Schnell,
I honestly really never intended to insult or hurt anyone’s feelings as this not my way. We are all here to help each other out with ideas and solutions. After JR’s last comment yesterday, I did re-check my posts to ensure I wasn’t personally stepping on anyone’s toes and I never really pointed any negativity to JR’s knowledge or abilities. Just questions. He basically answered my questions on his last post and I am fine with that. As a matter of fact, I am now considering his oil recommendations to add in to my selection mix. Being a bit harder to obtain when you need it rather than going to a local auto parts store which is really not a big issue, just have to pre-order ahead of time. I was merely adding possible options for everyone to mull over and many chimed in which is great. I also wanted to shore up with my last comment and I stand behind the statement that I would exclusively contact JR at Flat6 for any work I didn't want to handle myself without hesitation. We all have knowledge and experience to bring to the boards. I'm 150% sure I am no where near knowledgeable as Jake however I have done all my own work including a 2 full engine rebuilds (minus block and head machining), one being on my current 79 4.5L 928 K jetronic which I also replaced the synchros (known issue with early models) with new limited slip plates. So far the engine hasn't fallen out yet

Last edited by Waltheisenberg; 07-11-2015 at 03:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
donwwheeler (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Walt,
Re-read post 115.That is the issue,not your 'synchros'.
You inferred Jake was promoting a product and thereby deceiving the Forum for his own benefit.Untrue. He does not sell oil,nor any parts ! Nevertheless, Jake has 2500+ posts most of which are freely helping,informing and sharing his hard-won knowledge.
donwwheeler (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2015, 06:50 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think that if you agree with Jake you should be referred to as a FANBOY. In my opinion you should be referred to as a COMMON SENSE boy.
donwwheeler (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Thanks JD.
IMHO the issue is a gratuitous dismissal of Jake's comments as being for commercial gain. If that were the case we should all be petitioning for him to be banned.
According to Rennlist rules promoting your own products gets you severely sanctioned.We had such a case recently with "Scot".
In truth Jake has no direct financial gain from recommending a product he does not sell.He buys it.
I am ardently in favor of debating Jake and many done so. And we all learned from the debate.That is the value of Rennlist. But for a Noob to slime Jake's honesty in answering the noob's first question on the Forum is repugnant to me,and evidently a few others .
Navydiver14 (11-18-2019)
Old 07-11-2015, 07:49 PM
Waltheisenberg
Intermediate

Schnell, really?? I had no idea the man’s feelings got offended that easily. It also doesn’t look good from a business perspective to threaten to leave the boards of current and potentially future customers because someone new is asking uncountable questions. A simple yes or no to my comment would have sufficed and then move on. Don’t fear though, I’m sure he is human and will be back after a chill. After all, he has the passion right? On the oil topic, I still stand by my original point which still remains unproven. Run any recommended Porsche approve oil you like, even ones costing twice as much and you still will not have ANY added guarantee against engine failure or wear in your 996. If it makes one feel better spending more for a similar product and they can sleep better at night because of it, godspeed. Just understand you cannot completely overcome periods of bad design and manufacturing in any car company. You just do the best you can do to work with them. I’ve seen comments “Run M1 0w40 and blow your engine” REALLY? What proof do theses people have to back that statement up? Are they just trying to look cool by the comment or be constructive? If this reckless statement were true, all the other auto makers that endorse M1, and there are many, would be reporting the similar oil related catastrophic failures. Again, to point to M1 as the cause of any failures is so far UNPROVEN and plain reckless! To be honest, you will never normally find me on any boards until now. I realize to everyone I am out of place by challenging the established by asking them to prove their case to new and potential customers who makes them and others uncomfortable. Again, I though I pretty much cleared up my comments in my last few posts. Never be afraid to ask questions, even to the well established. Their actions reflect character. I'll do everyone a favor and go away like JR. I can find better things to do like, oh ya, I really do need to change my oil today ; )
Old 07-11-2015, 08:13 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Originally Posted by Waltheisenberg
Schnell, really?? I had no idea the man’s feelings got offended that easily. It also doesn’t look good from a business perspective to threaten to leave the boards of current and potentially future customers because someone new is asking uncountable questions. A simple yes or no to my comment would have sufficed and then move on. Don’t fear though, I’m sure he is human and will be back after a chill. After all, he has the passion right? On the oil topic, I still stand by my original point which still remains unproven. Run any recommended Porsche approve oil you like, even ones costing twice as much and you still will not have ANY added guarantee against engine failure or wear in your 996. If it makes one feel better spending more for a similar product and they can sleep better at night because of it, godspeed. Just understand you cannot completely overcome periods of bad design and manufacturing in any car company. You just do the best you can do to work with them. I’ve seen comments “Run M1 0w40 and blow your engine” REALLY? What proof do theses people have to back that statement up? Are they just trying to look cool by the comment or be constructive? If this reckless statement were true, all the other auto makers that endorse M1, and there are many, would be reporting the similar oil related catastrophic failures. Again, to point to M1 as the cause of any failures is so far UNPROVEN and plain reckless! To be honest, you will never normally find me on any boards until now. I realize to everyone I am out of place by challenging the established by asking them to prove their case to new and potential customers who makes them and others uncomfortable. Again, I though I pretty much cleared up my comments in my last few posts. Never be afraid to ask questions, even to the well established. Their actions reflect character. I'll do everyone a favor and go away like JR. I can find better things to do like, oh ya, I really do need to change my oil today ; )
Wealtheisenberg, Don't go away, I don't think that is what anyone wants. Also don't worry about Jakes feeling, he can handle anything a forum post throws at him. In Jakes case its just frustration as no matter how many times he explains that he does not profit from the sales of products he recommends many people still say that is what he does and infer that is the reason why he is here. He does profit from posting his comments because some here begin to realize he is probably the most knowledgeable person on this and so if they opt for a quality rebuild and can afford his price he has a good chance of getting the job and making a profit. He has helped many on here with their problems absolutely free and plenty of us do appreciate it. I know Jake just good enough to know that he will only tell the truth as he knows it and that money is not the driving force in his life. Some of us stick up for him as we feel he gets things said about him that isn't right and he rarely comes on here to get in a pissing match with anybody. I see many on here that seem to hate it if we agree with him and would seem to be happy if he never comes back. Forums are like that, different personalities show through time after time until we know what to expect before we finish reading the post. If you do leave I hope its because you have better things to do, we do have some great hot chick pictures posted here but alas they are just pictures.

Last edited by JD ARTHUR; 07-12-2015 at 01:24 AM.
donwwheeler (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

This isn't about "feelings".
It is about honesty.Peculiar to confuse that with irrelevant comments.

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 07-13-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Waltheisenberg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JD ARTHUR
Wealtheisenberg, Don't go away, I don't think that is what anyone wants. Also don't worry about Jakes feeling, he can handle anything a forum post throws at him. In Jakes case its just frustration as no matter how many times he explains that he does not profit from the sales of products he recommends many people still say that is what he does and infer that is the reason why he is here. He does profit from posting his comments because some here begin to realize he is probably the most knowledgeable person on this and so if they opt for a quality rebuild and can afford his price he has a good chance of getting the job and making a profit. He has helped many on here with their problems absolutely free and plenty of us do appreciate it. I know just good enough to know that he will only tell the truth as he knows it and that money is not the driving force in his life. Some of us stick up for him as we feel he gets things said about him that isn't right and he rarely comes on here to get in a pissing match with anybody. I see many on here that seem to hate it if we agree with him and would seem to be happy if he never comes back. Forums are like that, different personalities show through time after time until we know what to expect before we finish reading the post. If you do leave I hope its because you have better things to do, we do have some great hot chick pictures posted here but alas they are just pictures.
It’s cool. And I get it. Funny, on a lighter note, the great oil debate will go on for ever it seems. It also transcends too many other realms. In my early-mid 40’s I became addicted yet to another, overly expensive hobby, mechanical watches. Mainly the vintage R ones. When it comes time for the regular service cleaning, you should see all the hot debates of which type of oil and what brand to use and where in the world it comes from. It’s exactly the same and just as passionate.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:22 AM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Waltheisenberg, Off topic but I also like mechanical watches. I am a Grand Seiko fan and have the first they ever made and many others. I just like mechanical stuff and have motorcycles and old cars. Used to have a couple of Cessna 170 airplanes and even a few boats. The Porsche is a great mechanical marvel in its own way. If you want to talk watches send me a PM. JD
Old 07-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Nothing pisses me off more than someone insinuating that I do something, or use something for monetary gain, over performance. I can have a wonderful day and someone that has no clue about what I do, or how I do it, can ruin that with one sentence. Some TRY to do it, because one ma's pain is another man's pleasure. Thats society today,and especially on forums, and even more so when someone is successful. No time in recent history was worse than the big recession, as my business BOOMED and grew by hundreds of percent, while lots of people lost their jobs and businesses. That was a horrific time for so many, and the last thing they needed was an engine failure to deal with, but don't shoot me for doing what no one else wanted to do at the time, and the foresight that others didn't have.

That said, I go out of my way NOT to sell anything other than an engine. I develop things and give them, or sell them to others just because I don't want to deal with the BS associated with retail business today. Hell, I don't even sell engine oil to customers that buy my engines, I GIVE IT TO THEM while the engine is under warranty! After that, I tell them to buy it at Amazon. I develop these things so I will always have them for my engines, and often I buy the completed products from those who were chosen to manufacture them, hence my LN Engineering relationship, that started 16 years ago with 2 college kids.

There's so many products that I could sell, but I don't, because of all the reasons I posted above. As these cars fall into the hands of enthusiasts more and more we don't have a way to get these things, and others into those hands without direct interface with the buyer, which I simply refuse to do in today's world.

This is sad, because it limits things all around, for everyone. Thats more my fault than anyone, but its required, because one pissed off guy on a forum that buys something can waste years of our time. At least with engines I can pre- qualify the buyer and understand if I can meet, or exceed his expectations, because I deal directly with him. Thats not possible at the retail level, and thats why I closed my store years ago, and sold my retail business for aircooled parts to LN Engineering.

I haven't even been selling our used parts, or etc on eBay, I have been throwing them away, because I couldn't stand the risks associated with selling them, even at cheap prices. I tear down perfectly good running engines rather than selling them, because selling a used, running engine is a liability. There's a huge business that could be tapped into by someone if they wanted to deal with the BS associated with selling what we create to the enthusiasts level, because I tell 20 people per day "no" when they try to buy something from us. I won't even refer someone to where it can be bought, because thats also considered the same as selling it, and I get a finger pointed for that, too.

I have had my 2nd half 2015 class schedule done for months, but I don't even want to post that, because of the BS associated with "selling" classes. Luckily we don't have to try to fill classes, and I only do them to have fun. Overtime I sit down to make a commercial post here about the classes I write the damn thing, and then delete it because I ask myself "what **** storm will this start? Damn, I don't have time for that today."

So, needless to say, when I go to these extents NOT to have issues and NOT to have people say that we only use, or recommend something for monetary reasons, I get really pissed off, really quick. You could talk about my momma (who I lost at age 14) and I'd probably not get pissed off as quick.

The amount of Engineers on staff at me company doesn't impress me a damn bit. What does impress me is when those who are on the developmental team will take the time to feed the specific application what it wants. Honing that as fuels change and engines change is even better. Who would guess that a DFI engine would optimize with a different oil than a port injected engine? Well, thats what we are currently developing, that no one else is. The big names won't talk about it, because if they did, it would be admission of an issue that their generic, "one size fits all" oil won't do.

BTW- I don't hate Mobil 1. I love it. I really, really, really love it, with hugs and kisses on top.

No, I didn't leave RL, and I probably never will entirely. I said that I needed a break, and I took one for a day, so I could finish the M96 engine with the largest bore in the world....Finally something that takes way too much effort and cost for others to copy. They'll always have to wonder about how it has been done, but they never will figure it out.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

The offender was a noob that you tried to help -several times !

Most of the regulars here know your credentials and respect them accordingly.
Please ignore the rude and ignorant Posters. I wish the Mods. were more active in such matters .Rude/ignorant/off-topic posts devalue the reputation of this fine Forum. I participate on another unrelated Forum where the Mods just delete/edit all the nonsense out.Makes for a wonderfully efficient resource - and very much more valuable to the Forum owners too .Sponsors hate the negative junk too.

Those of us who have attempted major work on a failed M96 engine need your input because frankly there is no other source who volunteers so much reliable information on the really complex issues. Until someone else steps up to offer such advice, we need you more than you need us. Good for noobs to know that ?
Thanks for contributing over 2500 posts.

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 07-13-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
The offender was a waffling noob that you tried to help -several times !

Most of the regulars here know your credentials and respect them accordingly.
Please ignore the rude and ignorant Posters. I wish the Mods. were more active in such matters .Rude/ignorant/off-topic posts devalue the reputation of this fine Forum. I participate on another unrelated Forum where the Mods just delete/edit all the nonsense out.Makes for a wonderfully efficient resource - and very much more valuable to the Forum owners too .Sponsors hate the negative junk too.

Those of us who have attempted major work on a failed M96 engine need your input because frankly there is no other source who volunteers so much reliable information on the really complex issues. Until someone else steps up to offer such advice, we need you more than you need us. Good for noobs to know that ?
Thanks for contributing over 2500 posts.
What sucks, is I really enjoy forum posting. I started way back when these forums were email newsgroups and things were a lot different back then. People were hungry for info and they didn't feel so entitled, and they certainly weren't so bitchy.

The vast majority are wonderful, appreciative people, but like a rotten apple, just one can ruin a whole bushel.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:40 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

FYI the Rules according to RennList(not me):
Zero Tolerance In the Forums
There is now a zero-tolerance policy in effect for harassment and off-topic bickering in the Forums. It’s fine to “disagree”. It’s fine to debate. It is fine to argue in a mature manner.

It is NOT fine to cast third-party suspicions, as a 3rd party or competing supplier - calling a vendor “shady”, and/or slandering a supplier or person in any public forum. Rennlist is certainly no exception.

So – here is some advice… If you are thinking about posting a reply which you wonder “will John D. ban me for this?” – presume the answer is YES – and don’t post it.

If someone is harassing you in technical threads report them and never respond to them. If you participate even to defend yourself you are part of the problem and are just as guilty.

This is your only warning. If you participate in off-topic bickering, slander or harassment in the technical forums you will be banned from Rennlist.com

Let’s keep the Forums technical.

John D.

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 07-13-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:39 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Here we go again...Deja vu
Old 07-13-2015, 10:41 AM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What's the best engine oil 996?

Time for ( . )( . )?

Quick Reply: What's the best engine oil 996?