Sponsored by:

What's the best engine oil 996?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015 | 01:15 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chiamac
Natural or synthetic or a blend?
Since the revs are below 500 it doesn't warrant synthetic.
Old 07-14-2015 | 01:23 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Rubik
I believe some have experiences with 15k used dino oil being used when they bend over for the $350 oil change while sipping on their latte.
Old 07-14-2015 | 01:29 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

My starter went out or the battery is getting old. =(
Old 07-14-2015 | 01:33 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alpine003
I believe some have experiences with 15k used dino oil being used when they bend over for the $350 oil change while sipping on their latte.
Was the barista and/or tech hot?
Old 07-14-2015 | 01:42 PM
crashclint
Rennlist Member

just ordered a case 100% pure Whale Oil from Japan.
Old 07-14-2015 | 02:11 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

All I know is that I bought some royal purple for my lawn equipment and it was purple! I thought that was cool so from now on I am using Royal Purple in everything. It has been proven multiple times that purple is a better color than brown so therefore purple oil must be better.
Old 07-14-2015 | 02:23 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Chiamac
Was the barista and/or tech hot?
Dunno, you'll need to ask someon else that. Dunno if a strap on was involved or not.
Old 07-14-2015 | 02:29 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alpine003
Dunno if a strap on was involved or not.

Well I guess that's one way to check the oil.
Old 07-14-2015 | 03:21 PM
turtlesoupedup
Rennlist Member

" Imagine a new first time non-technical 996\997 owner stumbling on this thread for some advise."

That would be me. I just finished reading this entire thread. How stupid am I? LOL.
Was getting ready for my first oil change and now I am totally confused. Really, is there a BAD oil?
Old 07-14-2015 | 03:23 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turtlesoupedup
" Imagine a new first time non-technical 996\997 owner stumbling on this thread for some advise."

That would be me. I just finished reading this entire thread. How stupid am I? LOL.
Was getting ready for my first oil change and now I am totally confused. Really, is there a BAD oil?
just use butter! Cannot go wrong with butter.
Old 07-14-2015 | 03:25 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Butter is delicious.
Old 07-14-2015 | 03:45 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Butter is delicious.

I can't believe it's not butter!
Old 07-14-2015 | 03:47 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Imagine someone has the great idea to just jump to the end to see the conclusion of the discussion and s/he will think we are a bunch of coocoos. Wouldn't be too far off though!
Old 07-14-2015 | 03:53 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

My lubrication engineering work generally occurs around bedtime with my wife as the co-engineer.
That does raise a few additional questions. RPM's aside, what are the clearance tolerances for the piston? While we would like to eliminate any potential for bore scoring, the piston to sleeve ratio should be taken into account. The system is supposed to be self lubricating and in highly functioning equipment, it is not unusual to encounter splash lubrication, which should further help with the issue.

Since you specifically mentioned that you generally run your engineering work around bedtime, I assume that older units are involved. Please make sure that you have thoroughly checked the general health of the engine before proceeding to prevent any catastrophic failures. In addition, if your lifters are slow to react, there are additives that can help with that particular issue. Please note that if your lifter gets stuck for more than 4 hours, you should contact your mechanic immediately.

If, during the process, you begin to lose focus on your co-engineer and begin to note images of newer, low mileage models you may find that you are prematurely approaching redline. In this event, it may be useful to start mentally reviewing torque specs until the system returns to normal operating temperature.

Upon completion of the lubrication engineering study, it is recommended that you observe a short cool down period to make sure future studies will be met with favorable conditions. Immediately reaching for the remote control upon completion does not generally yield a successful result, and could possibly cause the co engineer to begin making loud noises, similar to belt breakage, causing her to violently seize.
Old 07-14-2015 | 04:04 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
That does raise a few additional questions. RPM's aside, what are the clearance tolerances for the piston? While we would like to eliminate any potential for bore scoring, the piston to sleeve ratio should be taken into account. The system is supposed to be self lubricating and in highly functioning equipment, it is not unusual to encounter splash lubrication, which should further help with the issue.
Bore scoring is not an issue as the engine is allowed a good amount of warm up and engine is run frequently to ensure good routine system lubrication.

Since you specifically mentioned that you generally run your engineering work around bedtime, I assume that older units are involved. Please make sure that you have thoroughly checked the general health of the engine before proceeding to prevent any catastrophic failures. In addition, if your lifters are slow to react, there are additives that can help with that particular issue. Please note that if your lifter gets stuck for more than 4 hours, you should contact your mechanic immediately.
No the reason it occurs at bedtime is because there are 2 intern engineers that need constant attention including feeding and bathing.

If, during the process, you begin to lose focus on your co-engineer and begin to note images of newer, low mileage models you may find that you are prematurely approaching redline. In this event, it may be useful to start mentally reviewing torque specs until the system returns to normal operating temperature.
I'm fortunate that this model is a 1-owner low mileage well maintained example. Clean ---fax.

Upon completion of the lubrication engineering study, it is recommended that you observe a short cool down period to make sure future studies will be met with favorable conditions. Immediately reaching for the remote control upon completion does not generally yield a successful result, and could possibly cause the co engineer to begin making loud noises, similar to belt breakage, causing her to violently seize.
Yes, I have learned my lesson on this one.

Quick Reply: What's the best engine oil 996?