Sponsored by:

996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 12:08 PM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default #164

I bought #164 this past Friday, finally got into the county tax office to title it and swap on my vanity plates from my F-150. I got these plates in order to "reserve" them for a future sports car that I didn't know I'd ever get.

It has aftermarket LED tail lamps that I really like (I have the originals too), and MACarbon side mirror shells that I'm fine with but I might restore to original.
It sits on HRE 305M Monoblock wheels (and I have the originals which will likely be going back on it soon). They appear to be in perfect shape, I'll put them on the market after I get the tires moved over to the original stock wheels. This is a quick photo I took when I got it home, sorry for the shadows. I'll probably take it out for a nice photo shoot after I swap in the original wheels.

Silver and black vehicles. Go Spurs!
The following users liked this post:
911user (06-16-2022)
Old 12-05-2018, 01:43 PM
bplein
Racer

And now that I'm looking at the aftermarket HREs, I'm torn. Beautiful wheels in their own right, as are the classic Carrera wheels that come stock.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:24 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Cool car. I would compare wheel weights and roll whichever set is lighter and then lower the car. Get rid of that wheel gap and will look great. If you throw the OEM's on make sure to get some 15mm spacers all around, makes a huge difference with the stance. Good luck, I'm sure you will love the car. Every time I get back into mine, it's the same smile.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:22 PM
bplein
Racer

Originally Posted by e90steve
Cool car. I would compare wheel weights and roll whichever set is lighter and then lower the car. Get rid of that wheel gap and will look great. If you throw the OEM's on make sure to get some 15mm spacers all around, makes a huge difference with the stance. Good luck, I'm sure you will love the car. Every time I get back into mine, it's the same smile.
Thanks. In order to lower it and yet keep it "stock" I'd need to go with all the Euro ROW M030 parts which is substantial... basically replace everything.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:22 PM
e90steve
Racer

Originally Posted by bplein
Thanks. In order to lower it and yet keep it "stock" I'd need to go with all the Euro ROW M030 parts which is substantial... basically replace everything.
That would work. Not as expensive or as complex as you think. Well worth it. Your car isn't exactly stock as is with the sidemarkers, wheels, tail lights.

Suncoast has the whole kit here

Replacing shocks anyways is never a bad thing considering the age of the car.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:52 PM
bplein
Racer

Originally Posted by e90steve
Suncoast has the whole kit here
Thanks for the link!
Old 12-05-2018, 05:11 PM
bplein
Racer

Looks like a slightly different link for 2004: https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...WM0302002.html

I need to find out if I really need the sway bars. Some links I've found said that the sway bars are identical between ROW and US, and if that's so, it might be just be struts, shocks and springs.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:19 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Konis are a fantastic way to go. On the softer settings they are more comfortable than stock; on the firmer they are sportier. They are also good for dialing in corner entry/ corner exit attitude. I’ve had a set nearly 50k miles and they are still fantastic.

re:swaybars the stock ones are pretty appropriate. ROW m030 springs with stock sways will be great. I actually bought a set of swaybars and ultimately went back to stock ones.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:55 AM
bplein
Racer

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Konis are a fantastic way to go. On the softer settings they are more comfortable than stock; on the firmer they are sportier. They are also good for dialing in corner entry/ corner exit attitude. I’ve had a set nearly 50k miles and they are still fantastic.

re:swaybars the stock ones are pretty appropriate. ROW m030 springs with stock sways will be great. I actually bought a set of swaybars and ultimately went back to stock ones.
I appreciate the opinions but my goal here is to enjoy the car as a Porsche delivered it (in the US) for a while. If I do the ROW M030 suspension it will be to enjoy the car as Porsche delivered it to the rest of the world, so I want to get all the right part numbers for the ROW build and run them together that way.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm on my 2nd AE, the first I refitted with ROW M030, different Struts and springs than US M030, Sways are exactly the same. I was like you and wanted to keep it as Porsche intended it. The ROW looked good from a stance but was a little harsher on the road and to be honest a little disappointing relating to the cost just to get a better look.. Eventually converted it back to stock and sold it.

This year I purchased another one this year and this winter I'm doing a suspension refresh with Ohlins, expensive but by all accounts the best mix of quality, performance and comfort. I'm keeping the standard suspension so that I can convert it back to OE should I decide to go back to a completely standard car or sell it. The way I look at it there is always a market to sell the used Ohlins so whilst more expensive, should you wish you will always get some money back.

Its worth thinking about, I would prefer to go Porsche every time, but as with any production car parts are built to a cost and sometime aftermarket can provide a better quality option.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:42 AM
bplein
Racer

Originally Posted by D6lc
I'm on my 2nd AE, the first I refitted with ROW M030, different Struts and springs than US M030, Sways are exactly the same. I was like you and wanted to keep it as Porsche intended it. The ROW looked good from a stance but was a little harsher on the road and to be honest a little disappointing relating to the cost just to get a better look.. Eventually converted it back to stock and sold it.

This year I purchased another one this year and this winter I'm doing a suspension refresh with Ohlins, expensive but by all accounts the best mix of quality, performance and comfort. I'm keeping the standard suspension so that I can convert it back to OE should I decide to go back to a completely standard car or sell it. The way I look at it there is always a market to sell the used Ohlins so whilst more expensive, should you wish you will always get some money back.

Its worth thinking about, I would prefer to go Porsche every time, but as with any production car parts are built to a cost and sometime aftermarket can provide a better quality option.
Interesting. The spring rates on ROW M030 vs US/CAN M030 are identical. Either the struts/shocks are stiffer on ROW, or maybe (guessing here) your used US spec were softer due to age/use and going to ROW was just stiffer due to new vs old? Anyhow, thanks for the input. Again, I totally get the aftermarket upgrade scene, but I'm new to Porsche so there's no need for me to go out and start throwing parts at the process .... not yet!

Old 12-06-2018, 11:10 AM
bplein
Racer

This archived PCA article shows that the US/CAN M030 springs are the same spring rate as ROW M030, but that the struts and shocks ARE stiffer: http://web.archive.org/web/200207290...article_3.html

(which makes sense as it needs to do the same total work to decelerate motion in a shorter distance)

(Note, that is pre-2002 mk1 data, but I'm just putting it out there as a reference).
Old 12-06-2018, 11:15 AM
e90steve
Racer

With the ROW the struts might be a bit shorter as well due to the shorter spring. When I installed B8's with RUF springs, I was told the shorter strut was required for the shorter spring to prevent bottoming out.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:56 AM
911user
Pro

Received 459 Likes on 197 Posts

The most comfortable seat ever made, and no wear after 376,000 miles!

From 10ft., looking good!
Old 12-12-2018, 10:00 AM
911user
Pro

Received 459 Likes on 197 Posts

Some fine machinery around here!

Quick Reply: 996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ