Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 911user

Miles keep on coming!
Nice! Any details of upkeep? Original motor I assume? Great to see
Old 08-20-2018, 09:52 AM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I met a new 40AE owner on vacation in Virginia Beach and he said go ahead and post him here... His name is Dennis and he has #442 with just over 30k miles... Car in mint condition with rear wiper option, I took a pic but lost it sry. If someone wants to update registry go ahead.

​​​​​​​-john
Old 08-21-2018, 12:39 AM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
I met a new 40AE owner on vacation in Virginia Beach and he said go ahead and post him here... His name is Dennis and he has #442 with just over 30k miles... Car in mint condition with rear wiper option, I took a pic but lost it sry. If someone wants to update registry go ahead.

-john
Thanks, John - I'll update the list. I'm gonna shoot you an email, too. Thanks. Ted
Old 09-04-2018, 12:28 AM
acrabtree0536
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me the owner of #1008 ( I previously typed #2008, which was a typo)
So new I don't even have a photo yet.
But you can count it on the engine failure list too. (it blew at 10K miles)
Current odometer reading 35,250miles

Adam

Last edited by acrabtree0536; 09-11-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:30 AM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Default 1008

Originally Posted by acrabtree0536
Count me the owner of #2008
So new I don't even have a photo yet.
But you can count it on the engine failure list too. (it blew at 10K miles)
Current odometer reading 35,250miles

Adam
Hey, Adam...Ted here. I got your email and I’ll update the records. BTW, small typo in your post - the car is Nr. 1008. Welcome aboard.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:52 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One year ownership update.

Miles when purchased: 33,500
Miles now: 45,700 (all local with the exception of one trip to Michigan)

2 oil changes (with several quarts added in the interim)
coolant flush
rear lid strut replaced
coils and plugs replaced
40AE rear rim replaced due to highway incident
4 new tires
Ohlins R&T suspension with Tarret droplinks
Alignment
Used Carrera III 997 rims with Nokian winter tires (Craigslist find)

Overall, I love my 40. I wish the seats were better but I can live with them. I work from home and the occasional coffee shop when I want to get out of the house but the 911 has been my daily driver and only car (gave my Lx470 to my mom after her truck died). I have a rock chip in my windshield and a few character marks from other odd road occurrences, but I never intended my car to be a garage queen. I hope to do a fall track day before the year is out and may get some more supportive seats if I get the notion to do any serious distance driving. The car looks damn good and I feel damn good driving it.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:23 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

get the euro gt3 seats and don't look back. they're expensive for a reason: they're awesome
Old 09-06-2018, 03:37 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry to be a lazy and not search for myself, but just curious if anyone in here can tell me of the # of known IMSB failures among the 40Jahre cars?
Old 09-06-2018, 04:41 PM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago6MT
One year ownership update.

Miles when purchased: 33,500
Miles now: 45,700 (all local with the exception of one trip to Michigan)

2 oil changes (with several quarts added in the interim)
coolant flush
rear lid strut replaced
coils and plugs replaced
40AE rear rim replaced due to highway incident
4 new tires
Ohlins R&T suspension with Tarret droplinks
Alignment
Used Carrera III 997 rims with Nokian winter tires (Craigslist find)

Overall, I love my 40. I wish the seats were better but I can live with them. I work from home and the occasional coffee shop when I want to get out of the house but the 911 has been my daily driver and only car (gave my Lx470 to my mom after her truck died). I have a rock chip in my windshield and a few character marks from other odd road occurrences, but I never intended my car to be a garage queen. I hope to do a fall track day before the year is out and may get some more supportive seats if I get the notion to do any serious distance driving. The car looks damn good and I feel damn good driving it.
Whats your experience of the Ohlins to your 40AE, I was interested if you could share your feedback on the change. This winter I would like to refresh and change out the suspension. Its is mainly a summer DD with the odd trackday thrown in. Comparing to the standard suspension on the car my first goal is to lower it a little as the US 40th look too high for me, and I’d really like to improve the ride if I can as the MN roads here are far from smooth.

On my previous 40AE I changed out the suspension for the M030 ROW kit, which is great value and dropped the car perfectly but I’d be hard pressed to say it rode any different on the street.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:11 AM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jllphan
Sorry to be a lazy and not search for myself, but just curious if anyone in here can tell me of the # of known IMSB failures among the 40Jahre cars?
Here's what I have in the 911 40th Registry records...

First, note that the cars are broken into two groups. One group is the cars whose limited edition numbers have been identified, the other is the the group of cars whose identities remain unknown. In the "known number" list there are 816 cars and I have records of 24 having suffered IMS failures. In the "unknown" list there are 696 cars, and 10 of them had IMS failures. Keep in mind that it's possible (if not likely) that the ones in the unknown list are duplicates of ones in the known list. I'm not sure how helpful this info will be because I only can record IMS status if it's listed in the info that I find about the car or the owner self-identifies that information. It's likely that these numbers are underreported in terms of the actual number of IMS failures, but just take the data for what it's worth. From what I know about our cars there is nothing in their makeup that makes them more or less likely to suffer an IMS failure. In fact, I can't recall where I read it, but I thought that the overall failure rate for the 996 cars (C2, C4S & 40th) was around 5%.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:57 AM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the info! That's all i was after, if they were "put together" any better than the others. Or the some of their parts (the internals of the X51) somehow made them less prone to failure. Based on your numbers, worse case (none are duplicates) the number is actually smaller than the popular 5% that most believe to be the case.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:57 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jllphan
Thanks for the info! That's all i was after, if they were "put together" any better than the others. Or the some of their parts (the internals of the X51) somehow made them less prone to failure. Based on your numbers, worse case (none are duplicates) the number is actually smaller than the popular 5% that most believe to be the case.
Unfortunately, the X51 is still a M96 engine with the same IMS bearing as all other M96 engines.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:01 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Its built on the exact same production line with a few X51 different parts. I was always and still to some degree am an IMS skeptic regarding the horror stories of impending doom. The best example of this is Steve on this forum with nearly 400k on his 40AE.

However the PO of my car had the bearing replaced as a precautionary measure around 45k with a new clutch. He gave me all of the old parts and the first thing I did was clean up the bearing for my desk at work (think of it as an expensive fidget spinner!), I was surprised that once fully cleaned up you could feel a little bit of pickup in the bearing, and you can see some damage to the races if you look close. The damage is so slight that you wouldn’t have picked anything up in the filter at this stage.

Maybe the bearing was at this stage for a while, maybe it would have lasted another 50k, maybe it would have failed, nobody knows. But I have to say this surprised me. The car has a full service history at Porsche prior to its replacement, so as most cars no early warning signals.

So from my side now, I wouldn’t panic and not buy another 996 that has the original bearing, but I would plan to swap it out at some stage soon. I don’t do a lot of miles, but I will be swapping mine out every 30k or so. For me that will be every 6-8yrs so not big deal and just part of the tradeoff for owning and enjoying such an amazing car.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knfeparty
get the euro gt3 seats and don't look back. they're expensive for a reason: they're awesome
I heard the 997 gt3 seats are really nice and bolt right in with a few wire splicing changes needed. I see a few of the hardbacks with alcantara inserts for sale on ebay. I see one set of the euros. Those side bolsters are pretty high. No issues getting in and out? They look great for a track day.

Quick Reply: 996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ