996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

08 Nissan GTR - is it the real deal

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that GT3 S is sweet, but for almost twice the $$$ of the GTR??? I guess money is no object for you. LOL
Old 02-28-2008, 09:41 PM
omnipresent
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
Yes that GT3 S is sweet, but for almost twice the $$$ of the GTR??? I guess money is no object for you. LOL
Who are you referring to? Geez, they spoke some English last time I visited Canada..when did anyone imply we were the owners of a GT3S??? Eh?
I've got a 951 and C4S - both of which have nicer hips than the GTR
Old 02-28-2008, 10:10 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I'm suprised this choi guy has gotten away with this nonsense for so long.

It's a car, and guys bought the car for a reason, and all of those reasons are not in a GT-R.

So now everyone that doesnt want a GT-R is a 911 fanboy? What kind of logic is that. He talks about a 911 likes it's junk. By all means sell it, and a GT-R will never be parked with the TT's and Ferrari's in L.A., you are mistaken.

Choi, get over yourself, loving a car, it's type and the experience is more than just track numbers, try getting Porsche service for your Nissan, try finding a local dealer to service it to begin with. Join Nissan club of america as well.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:31 PM
othomasjr
Racer

That's a Nice Un.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:32 PM
ls911
Pro

I have to say that this thing has been totally blown out of proportion. So Ben likes the Nissan, great. Even if the case was more so than his 996, who cares, his taste. No need to take it to a personal level over opinions, right?
I like big butts and I can't deny. Drove mine nice and hard today, thank God winteris behind me.
Peace!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:54 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ls911
I have to say that this thing has been totally blown out of proportion. So Ben likes the Nissan, great. Even if the case was more so than his 996, who cares, his taste. No need to take it to a personal level over opinions, right?
I like big butts and I can't deny. Drove mine nice and hard today, thank God winteris behind me.
Peace!
I actually like the GT-R myself, but it's kind of like the "911 versus Vette" thing--I suspect that for most people, if you like the one, you won't want the other. The GT-R gives the Evo and STi crowd something to upgrade to...I think they'll all happily co-exist.

No need to bash either car, but Ben seems to be continually surprised that people that bought 996s actually, you know, LIKE and defend the 996. His posting style bears much resemblance to the action of walking into a Harley bar and asking loudly "Hey, buddy, is that your Honda out front?"
Old 02-29-2008, 11:23 AM
DanJK
Racer

Why is it so shocking to some not to like the GT-R? I think the Enzo is about as ugly as it could be, am I blind as well? And nobody knows that much about the GT-R (me included) beyond spec sheets and pictures. Wait till we can actually drive one! Isn't that the real test?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:27 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Because some people think that because a magazine calls the GT-R a better car than the Turbo based on track figures, that no one should any longer want a 911. The influence of the media over the feeble minded is very astonishing.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:13 PM
NOBY
Pro

Im loving it

I hope you all can handle the pictures, just dont kill me

Its realy BIG!
Old 02-29-2008, 12:20 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW that is big...looks like a Maxima on 'roids
Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Siq pics - I can't wait to see one lowered on some proper Work mesh wheels or something to that effect. i love that **** shot with the deck wing.

My buddy was in Tokyo recently and told me the GTR looks stunning in person (he's the one who owns the Ferrari I drove with the nice aesthetic/sound mods).

Old 02-29-2008, 12:30 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty cool looking car but, IMHO, the front looks a little cluttered or something...not really sure. With that said, I am a FANof Porsche and was even back when I was driving BMWs and earlier when I had a Toyota Celica in the early 80's which, BTW, was an INCREDIBLE car. But, as I said, I'm a FAN of Porsche, as are I think a lot of people on this site. Therefore we, by defintion, tend to defend our "team" vehemently and can't understand when some seem to imply, "it's just a car", referring to the 911. And please, I don't want anyone to think I'm talking about anyone in particular. The problem is that sometimes fans get a little blinded and go overboard in defense of their side. But every year there are cars that come out and the press says "Ok, this is the next 911 killer", and then they fade away from the forefront. Who's left? The 911...still taking shots and standing up to all assaults. There are LOTS of great cars out there and many outperform the 911 in one way or another but they are not icons...and the 911 is no paper tiger, simply sitting back, resting on its laurels.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I've loved the Porsche 911 all my life, with passion but not prejudice. I think most of us fully acknowlege there are other cars with better specs, numbers, prestige, pricing, etc. Ben, I'm not entirely clear as to why you'd equate that passion with disparagement of the GT-R? One has nothing to do with the other. I know you're already aware of what all goes into making a car "better" to an owner. The fact that I thoroughly love and want my 911 much more has nothing to do with how fast the GT-R laps, how much cheaper it is, or where it originates. I couldn't be happier that Godzilla is back and meaner than ever. Cars like the GT-R are great for the car enthusiast community all over the world. I love it, but certainly nowhere to the point of replacing my 911. I don't drive my Porsche down the streets constantly verifying the admiration from the ladies, onlookers, or valets on a daily basis to validate my purchase decision and ownership experience. I also don't frequent the dealerships to feel self-important. I certainly don't peruse the periodicals mag-racing just to ensure self-affirmation. I fully respect all opinions of the 911 or Porsche brand that are vastly different from mine, but none of that diminishes my passion and desire to own one. More importantly, other manufacturers' products (no matter how "spectacular") have no impact on my quest. Just as I wouldn't think any more or less of my wife, with regards to public opinion or the caliber of other guys' wives.

Perhaps some of us have expressed their passion in a "negative" manner, but I don't recall anyone disparaging the GT-R's performance numbers. They may not think of it as highly as you and I do, and that's fine too.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:38 PM
nazhat
Instructor

this is insane but still love my Targa.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yDoJdQXmwu8
Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 PM
DanJK
Racer

Again, just my opinion, but those pics confirm what I thought before - aesthetically the car is choppy, lacks balance, looks like molded plastic and is some kind of ugly. I mean if you are critical of the new design ethic at BMW this has got to send shivers up your spine. dan

Quick Reply: 08 Nissan GTR - is it the real deal