996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

08 Nissan GTR - is it the real deal

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are missing the point, I kind of agree with Grasshopper(Ben) I love my P car but the GTR is making a huge wave in the super car arena. The GTR is no Viper, Vette or Mustang, is a very capable complete track car...for $80,000. Watch the video and if you did, you can't deny the GTR is to be reckon with among any Porcshe model....unless you're being baise.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10

And the term "rice burner" makes me cringe.
imagine walking up to a dude and saying nice bratwurst powered ride... wouldn't go over so well. i'd love to see this guy say that to another GTR dude's face.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 AM
nazhat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy guys, I just don't think a Nissan is worth that much, 70's, please!.

We'll have to wait and see long term, how the car will do. Nissans in general don't last. How many 1970's, 1980's Nissans or Dat's do you see on the road....now how many P's? get my point?

Also, I purchased my P used, so the price plus the RUF would still be cheaper than a new GT-R. I am not saying I will RUF mine. It was just a thought.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

I don't think this is the first car, or even first Japanese car, that is faster than a 911...at a cheaper price. Feels like the NSX hype all over again. I am sure it outpreforms a Ferrari F430 Modena as far as lap time goes as well. I am as likely to buy a Nissan GT-R as I am a Subaru STi - which is to say not at all. Speed (or similar measurable) is hardly the only - or even main - criteria for judging a car. It would be like judging how good a meal is...by portion size.

That said, I fully recognize that others may dig it more than I do - good by me!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:43 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Why do you guys automatically think any sort of critical take on the 911 makes it a you v. me thing? Seriously, check yourself on that. Think on it.
For the same reason you ranted in post 19 about my horsepower comments. Ben, you're the one that seems to make it a contest all the time. Should we take a poll in the 996 forum about who needs to check themselves? I'm ready if you are.

And I couldn't care less about your 911 or your Miata or your cousin's car. I don't know you. Am I really concerned? Not possible. Same goes for you for me. If you don't get a sense from my posts that I don't like my car... seriously, you need to have read a bit more growing up or something because sometimes there's more info in between the lines than what's "on the line" itself.
Thanks for the advice, but I'm not sure that anyone cares whether you like your car or not. You always seem to be shocked that people that spent big money on their Porsches...actually like their Porsches. Did it ever occur to you that most of us could drive almost whatever we like? If I wanted to drive something else, why wouldn't I be? I'm not religious about my 996, but there's a reason I bought it (not just to be seen in like you and your wet dream F-car, LOL!) and I'm not sure why I should be ashamed of it just because we're talking about a car with better magazine numbers than mine.

I'm picking on the suckers who are nit-picking and "hating" on a product that's a great thing for car fans like me. I'm hoping there are other car fans here as well without the chip on their shoulder that's so easy to read up on.
Have you even been reading my posts? I've said multiple times that I think the GT-R is a GREAT car. It does nothing to diminish my desire to own my 996, though, and that's what seems to offend you so much...that someone could possibly like one car over another even if the performance isn't identical.

It's disappointing to read, but then I've come to learn just like in the real world it's hard to meet good people even on 911 forums. You'd think with their wealth and success they'd know better, but it's the same deal. Money is not an indicator of... good people (duh, right?).
Sure, "good people" like you that respond to people's pictures with such insightful criticism like "that's ugly" or "you need to paint your seats".

BTW...WTF is your infatuation with...painting seats? Who cares?

Bottom-line, hate or love the styling, the GTR is a car to be reckoned with. It's an incredible accomplishment whether it come from the US, Germany, Japan, Korea, Botswana, etc. I respect it and will surely congratulate any owner who chooses to run it here in Seattle and abroad.
Wow, it took your entire argumentative post to...agree with me.

I've read your ****. I've given you a chance. Hell, I've defended your actions in the past. However, you seem to think that because you're communicating on the Internet instead of in person, you're allowed to be a jerk under the guise of "you don't know me". You're comments tend to be confrontational, then you act like you're taken aback when someone calls you on it.

<cue Ben's "I don't care what anyone thinks of me" speech>
Old 02-28-2008, 10:45 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by nazhat
Easy guys, I just don't think a Nissan is worth that much, 70's, please!.

We'll have to wait and see long term, how the car will do. Nissans in general don't last. How many 1970's, 1980's Nissans or Dat's do you see on the road....now how many P's? get my point?

Also, I purchased my P used, so the price plus the RUF would still be cheaper than a new GT-R. I am not saying I will RUF mine. It was just a thought.
Say, what would your guess be on the difference in usage and mileage of the average mid-70s Datsun versus a mid-70s 911?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

nsx = hype? yea good one

nissans in general don't last? = ""

i'm amazed by the biased, provincial views by some of you... amazingly disappionted.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Did it ever occur to you that most of us could drive almost whatever we like?
WAHAHHHHHAHHAAHHHHHHHHAHHAHHHHA
Old 02-28-2008, 10:50 AM
nazhat
Instructor

I am not really sure. I have a couple of friends that have nearly 200K on their P's 70's model.
I know you see a lot more older P's out there than any crappy Jap car.

Also, Choi, take a chill pill. RELAX and know that the GT-R is temporary.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by nazhat
Jap car.
another quality rennlist member
Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

I am sorry - Ben, I think you misunderstood. I am not suggesting the NSX was not legit (I think that is was you are inferring by saying nsx = hype) BUT wasn't there not a lot of hype over the NSX (where hype means excitement)? I remember when they were launched, dealers had them behind velvet ropes and were charging $$$ over sticker. I remember the Ferrari comparisons and the "First Japanese Supercar" articles.

I also know that the NSX did not ultimately, at least in this country, prove as popular as some thought it would be. Ultimately the dig that seemed to resonate the most was that it lacked soul. Given the comments from the driver in the video, feels like history repeating itself. That's all I was suggesting.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Blackness
Pro

It's all apples and oranges guys.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM
omnipresent
Racer

I give kudos to Nissan for their efforts with the GT-R. Having said that, realize what they set their sights on as a template when undergoing this challenge...Porsche.
I think Nissan (and others) have superceded Porsche in engineering in some aspects. The new engine in the GT-R is an example, as is the transmission, driveline..it's an engineering accomplishment - not so much a styling one!! We will see aftermarket kits taking 350's and G37's into close clones very soon..Porsche 911 is timeless design, 'nuff said there.
If the goal is beating a P car as the youtube vids show the GT-R has done, then they've accomplished doing so - and, who cares? I had a '90 FORD Mustang coupe that would walk away from most P cars, straights and corners - all for about the same MSRP as a G37
As a P car owner and having owned a plethora of other makes before, I searched for a couple different things when looking at the P cars.. My 951 is just FUN - not stock motor or suspension - it's no drag racer, not gonna take down a C6, but, I LIKE IT! In searching for a 996, I wanted a widebody - not looking for ultimate performance..becasue I LIKE IT!!
I'm a newbie here and it's disgusting to see others post using derrogatory terms and being P car homers. It's a public forum, everyone's entitled to their two cents, but, at the end of the day, keep it real, these are JUST CARS - no need to step on toes and measure your manhood at a keyboard.
As P car owners, we're only people - we've been blessed to drive what's only a dream to others -- isn't that good enough? If not, you're allowing your blessing to be a curse - think about it
Old 02-28-2008, 12:07 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate the car body style, it is all wrong to be a super car. Performance is there to compete with super cars, I give it that. But it is definately not the car to drive up to Valet Parking and expect to get the same respect from the valet if you drove up driving a F, L or P car, unless that Valet is young.

So basically this car fits into an age gap IMHO.

Yes I used the word hate, I use it when I just watched a movie I didn't care for at all and really wasted my time doing so, and so I hated it. Hell, even NetFlix has a rating for the movies they rent and 1 star is 'Hated it'. So the word 'hate' is used in different situations. Hating someone is bad....hating something is not bad.

That's all I have to say
Old 02-28-2008, 12:43 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
I hate the car body style, it is all wrong to be a super car. Performance is there to compete with super cars, I give it that. But it is definately not the car to drive up to Valet Parking and expect to get the same respect from the valet if you drove up driving a F, L or P car, unless that Valet is young.

So basically this car fits into an age gap IMHO.

Yes I used the word hate, I use it when I just watched a movie I didn't care for at all and really wasted my time doing so, and so I hated it. Hell, even NetFlix has a rating for the movies they rent and 1 star is 'Hated it'. So the word 'hate' is used in different situations. Hating someone is bad....hating something is not bad.

That's all I have to say
Oh no not the H word again.... LOL
on a side note i hope everything is going well Steve!

Quick Reply: 08 Nissan GTR - is it the real deal