Sponsored by:

08 Nissan GTR - is it the real deal

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by triode
Sure, it's waay fast for the coin, but for me it's fugly and I will never own a 4,000 pound "sports car". Prefer the nimbleness of our 911s, gents.
I love Porsches, but have you seen the videos? 4000lbs...not quite, on the track it out performs the 997 TT.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heelix
Still - I wish Porsche would take note. With ~320 hp in the base models, there are more and more cars out there that match or beat that. Would it be too much to ask for each model to bump up an extra 100 hp?
I would not complain having a bit more hp on my 01 996.
As the years roll on Porsche has slowly bumped up the hp.
If anything I wish it was easier to mod it and get say 50 hp more w/o spending a ton. An improved standard factory exhaust note would also be a plus
Still though, all in all I am very happy with the athletic capabilities it has with the looks that go with it.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:03 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by heelix
Still - I wish Porsche would take note. With ~320 hp in the base models, there are more and more cars out there that match or beat that. Would it be too much to ask for each model to bump up an extra 100 hp?
No problem...it's called the "turbo" and they're readily available. With the packaging of the car, the limitations of technology, and fuel economy to think about, I've no doubt that it actually WOULD be too much to ask for an immediate extra 100 HP.

How much faster are you looking to go? Speaking for myself, my 296 measly horsepower certainly isn't the limiting factor in my C4 and I suspect that that's pretty common.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WHAHAHAH

now it's so fast and capable you guys discount it by asking totally asinine questions like:

"how much faster are you looking to go?"

"When does the hp war end"

then make equally insecure comments like:

"piece of ----"

"nimbleness of our 911"

in regard to:

a "4000lbs" sports car that will roundly kick your 320hp (and the 100hp+ ones) lighter car's **** in the straights, in the chicanes, in the braking zones etc and will likely keep its value much better since porsche is making tons of 997s and will surely make more and more of future iterations.

like exlon, just admit you don't like the looks since we don't find every wife/gf beautiful, but fully respect what nissan has done and that it'll absolutely embarrass the living snot of our n/a 911s as well as our forced induction models save for maybe (maybe) the 997GT2.

c'mon i know you guys aren't that insecure. man up and admit it. you can still be happy with your 911, but to even begin to discount this car and its epic performance level is.... myopia/denial/fallacious-absurd-specious-nutty snobbery of the highest order.

look guys i'm on your side... i'd have a hard time letting go of my dated porky 996 4s for this car... just cuz i am a vain snob where brand name counts... i admit... with that said, the last thing i'll be thinking about when i run into this car on the streets is anything related to cutting it down... i'd be in awe and respect it for what it is and i'd tell the driver yo nice ride bud.. it is an awesomely capable car that i'm very happy to see in the market. it makes the competition better and that includes your holy porsche engineers... it takes them back to the drawing board right quick.

the beast from the East is here ready to eat your children (your 911s) alive.

ahem, now back to my flu meds....
Old 02-28-2008, 12:46 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts

There are plenty of cars faster than a normally aspirated 911...vettes, vipers, whatever. Who cares? If you want one, by all means go for it.

I'm very happy with my measly 345 HP, and I'll be very happy with 415 in my next 911. To each his own.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:55 AM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
WHAHAHAH

now it's so fast and capable you guys discount it by asking totally asinine questions like:

"piece of ----"

"nimbleness of our 911"

in regard to:

a "4000lbs" sports car that will roundly kick your 320hp (and the 100hp+ ones) lighter car's **** in the straights, in the chicanes, in the braking zones etc and will likely keep its value much better since porsche is making tons of 997s and will surely make more and more of future iterations.

like exlon, just admit you don't like the looks since we don't find every wife/gf beautiful, but fully respect what nissan has done and that it'll absolutely embarrass the living snot of our n/a 911s as well as our forced induction models save for maybe (maybe) the 997GT2.

c'mon i know you guys aren't that insecure. man up and admit it. you can still be happy with your 911, but to even begin to discount this car and its epic performance level is.... myopia/denial/fallacious-absurd-specious-nutty snobbery of the highest order.

look guys i'm on your side... i'd have a hard time letting go of my dated porky 996 4s for this car... just cuz i am a vain snob where brand name counts... i admit... with that said, the last thing i'll be thinking about when i run into this car on the streets is anything related to cutting it down... i'd be in awe and respect it for what it is and i'd tell the driver yo nice ride bud.. it is an awesomely capable car that i'm very happy to see in the market. it makes the competition better and that includes your holy porsche engineers... it takes them back to the drawing board right quick.

C

You should try to limit your intake of meds. You were Fing dreaming just the other day and now you are pumped up on Nissan
Look up from your P-car, not down

Get some rest
Old 02-28-2008, 01:55 AM
rleeq
Racer

Ten years from now the 996/997 will still be admired for its timeless good lucks, style and overall performance but the GTR will be long forgotten. IMHO
Old 02-28-2008, 08:53 AM
caribbeantech
Intermediate

Different take (maybe)...
When I owned my S2000, I bought it for the combo-package of fun, reliability (perceived at least), etc. However, the reality started to set in at about the 3rd (that's right third) time that it was ripped open, and all the interiors were taken. Each time at about one month of ownership apart, for a total of less than 6 months of total ownership and < 1500 miles (barely out of break-in). Each time brought in several weeks of it being in the shop, $1000 deductible, yadda, yadda. Sold it for 'whatever they offered' at CarMax, just to dump it and end the nonsense. A few months later, I began to look for the replacement and found myself oogling at many cars, but mostly the ones offered by Nissan (350Zs and the Infinity variants). I tought they'd be super. However, it all became clear one day when I was at the parking lot at the movies, and a kid drives by with a very souped-up 350z, radio blaring some of that new 'music'. And right then I knew that I should've stuck with my first instinct which was to buy a Porsche. I'd neglected that rationalizing and going for the 'safety' of a Honda engine (they are bulletproof right?), and landed smack in the middle of the most worried I've EVER been about people jacking me for my car, my seats, my wheels (i mean, who steals stock wheels?), my Instrument Clusters, perhaps even my life. Enough of that, these cars may bring a nice package chockful of promises, but they are still viewed as 'part stores' for the ones out there that want to soup up their cars at your expense. And to me, the Porsche has everything I need with regards to performance, in a very refined package, and the kids don't mess with them. My car actually brings the peace of mind that it will still be there wherever I parked it....whole. This Nissan...won't...you'll never sleep again....

I know it's kinda off topic...but it's my take...
(nice...cute...no thanks!!...I don't even come close to the limist of my car anyway...but I always grin when I look at it...)

Pete
Old 02-28-2008, 09:23 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

WHAHAHAH

"piece of ----"

"nimbleness of our 911"

in regard to:

You seem to be responding to me, Ben. Take a look at my signature and ask yourself if I seem to be enamored by sheer speed. I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Asking someone how much power they're expecting does nothing to diminish the performance of the GT-R.

I sure haven't been discounting the Nissan's performance...hell, I think I'm one of the few people defending it. I'm not sure why you reacted like you did just because I questioned how much power someone was looking for...

Anyway, that said, if you're thinking that we're all a bunch of Porsche fanboys, I suppose you're at the opposite end of the spectrum; you don't seem to like your car one bit and openly dream of the day that you can be seen in a Ferrari. What's with the constant concern about what everybody else chooses to drive?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:24 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rleeq
Ten years from now the 996/997 will still be admired for its timeless good lucks, style and overall performance but the GTR will be long forgotten. IMHO
Uh, yeah...I wouldn't be so sure about that.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Lerxst
Racer

I'm not sure if it's legal, but I'm a fan of both.

I had a 350Z for 3 years before I picked up my C2. I loved the car for it's looks, price and performance, but couldn't stop lusting after a Porsche 911 (993 in 2006 that fell through, then the 996 that I picked up last year). My dream was owning a Porsche when I was a kid, not a Nissan.

Owning the P-car is a whack of fun. It has plenty of performance. In this little berg I get lots of looks of admiration. And I'll admit it, there's some pride in having a 911. I quickly realized there'll always be faster cars out there, so I'll just relax and enjoy what I've got (aside from the suspension and aerodynamic upgrades slated for this Spring).

Kudos to Nissan, that car's a beast in performance. I'm not feeling the looks, but that's just me. Hopefully Porsche won't just rely on their history and will come out with something a little more competitive.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:03 AM
nazhat
Instructor

I like the GT-R but have always had something against RICE BURNERS, not sure why. Take your base P and RUF it, after that the GT-R has no chance. Just my opinion.

A
Old 02-28-2008, 10:21 AM
nazhat
Instructor

Don't care too much for Rice Burners. Sorry!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10

Anyway, that said, if you're thinking that we're all a bunch of Porsche fanboys, I suppose you're at the opposite end of the spectrum; you don't seem to like your car one bit and openly dream of the day that you can be seen in a Ferrari. What's with the constant concern about what everybody else chooses to drive?
Why do you guys automatically think any sort of critical take on the 911 makes it a you v. me thing? Seriously, check yourself on that. Think on it.

And I couldn't care less about your 911 or your Miata or your cousin's car. I don't know you. Am I really concerned? Not possible. Same goes for you for me. If you don't get a sense from my posts that I don't like my car... seriously, you need to have read a bit more growing up or something because sometimes there's more info in between the lines than what's "on the line" itself.

I'm picking on the suckers who are nit-picking and "hating" on a product that's a great thing for car fans like me. I'm hoping there are other car fans here as well without the chip on their shoulder that's so easy to read up on.

It's disappointing to read, but then I've come to learn just like in the real world it's hard to meet good people even on 911 forums. You'd think with their wealth and success they'd know better, but it's the same deal. Money is not an indicator of... good people (duh, right?).

Bottom-line, hate or love the styling, the GTR is a car to be reckoned with. It's an incredible accomplishment whether it come from the US, Germany, Japan, Korea, Botswana, etc. I respect it and will surely congratulate any owner who chooses to run it here in Seattle and abroad.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:27 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Originally Posted by nazhat
I like the GT-R but have always had something against RICE BURNERS, not sure why. Take your base P and RUF it, after that the GT-R has no chance. Just my opinion.

A
IOW, take your car that already cost $10k more than the GT-R, throw another obscene amount of money at it, and at that point the cheaper car won't have a chance. Nice logic.

And the term "rice burner" makes me cringe.

Quick Reply: 08 Nissan GTR - is it the real deal