Sponsored by:

Improved Clutch Action Dramatically

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:04 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie

That's what happened to me too. The clutch was so stiff that I thought it was on it's last legs. Then I replaced the spring, the factory clutch feel was restored, and I couldn't be happier.

Replacing this spring "Improved Clutch Action Dramatically"
Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 PM
papachili
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! one of the best mods yet! as others have said...thought i lost my touch, stalled often, jerky shifts.... removed spring and its smooth as pie!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:06 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG! I just removed the helper spring, and I can drive again. I thought the lack of feel was just the hydraulic clutch. This is what I expected a Porsche clutch to feel like. I don't even think it takes more effort to operate, but all the vagueness is gone. The cruise even works.

One note: The pin got stuck and I ended up pushing the clutch in and out a few times to get it loose. Remember it's a hydraulic clutch so it got pretty stiff toward the end. I was thinking this may be too stiff until I started it and all was good.

Brilliant mod!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe this mod works better for clutches that are new, or not nearing the end? When I removed my spring, the pedal was extremely hard to push down, and control on the way up. Could be my clutch is on the way out?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know what these spring removal guys are on about.

My helper spring was broken for months and I thought my clutch was on the way out. Stiff as hell and unpleasant to operate.

I replaced the spring and now it feels fantastic. I think I've stalled the car once in two years and 30,000 miles.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:40 AM
SSST
Drifting

mine is maybe 10 to 15% stiffer without the helper spring, but the resistance is much more linear and the feel is excellent. Maybe I have strong legs, but my 52 year old, 5' 110lb wife drove it this evening with no problems. She said she liked it a lot better without the helper spring.

Maybe some of you guys need to hit the weight room.

Also, my clutch has about 23k miles on it.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:58 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
I don't know what these spring removal guys are on about.

My helper spring was broken for months and I thought my clutch was on the way out. Stiff as hell and unpleasant to operate.

I replaced the spring and now it feels fantastic. I think I've stalled the car once in two years and 30,000 miles.
+1, i dont get it either. Mine was broken and it felt like ****... with the new spring in the car feels much better to drive. cant imgen how horriable it would be without it...
Old 05-31-2011, 07:36 PM
SSST
Drifting

This thread has me wondering if there are differences between the MK1 and MK2, or Turbo and NA clutches. I have a Turbo MK2, and the clutch without the spring is so much better and not really difficult to push.

I'll probably get that Home Depot spring just to take the slop out of the top of the pedal travel.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
This thread has me wondering if there are differences between the MK1 and MK2, or Turbo and NA clutches. I have a Turbo MK2, and the clutch without the spring is so much better and not really difficult to push.

I'll probably get that Home Depot spring just to take the slop out of the top of the pedal travel.
Since you're on the 996 board, I'm betting most of the responses here are not from turbo owners.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:31 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST

I used a small and light spring out of a Harley rear brake master cylinder rebuild kit I had lying around. It's about 3" long 1/2" diameter and you compress it by hand.

Glad you revived this thread I started a few years ago. I'll have to try it on my Turbo. I for the life of me, don't know why the engineers at Porsche put in the booster springs in the first place. It makes the car really difficult to modulate the clutch action starting off. Nearly impossible in traffic on a hill with the radio on. The throttle by wire is horrible to begin with, add a helper spring to mask the feel of the clutch engagement point and starting the car in motion is iffy at best. I need to put in a clutch accumulator first, then I'll remove the booster spring and hopefully get some manual driving experience back that I used to love that I found missing from the newer Porsches. I know this mod did wonders on my '99 n/a car.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I need to replace the helper spring on my clutch. I could kick a rhino to death with my left leg. I know some people remove the spring, but when you drive as much as I do, and in stop and go traffic it's no fun.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
Maybe this mod works better for clutches that are new, or not nearing the end? When I removed my spring, the pedal was extremely hard to push down, and control on the way up. Could be my clutch is on the way out?
I believe it's the other way around. I had a reduced force spring in, and liked it, but when I replaced my engine I installed a new OEM clutch kit. The first time I drove it the pedal pressure was higher than in my F-250 diesel! So I put the factory spring back in and now have a reasonable amount of pressure to depress the pedal, and like the way it feels.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Bretech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took the spring out, but its way too hard without it. I installed a lighter spring but still too hard. I'm caving in and just gonna go with the oem. I also replaced my clutch master so i had expected great results but nothing.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:33 PM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try the suggested McMaster-Carr spring 9657K142 ?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Wow. This thread has more lives than a cat.

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically