Sponsored by:

Improved Clutch Action Dramatically

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:16 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

It's too bad Arron (Medtech) sold his car, other wise he could have done th......... oh wait..... I forgot..... Arron's car was a Tip!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick49
1. remove the plastic air ducting thats in the way
2. remove the elecrtical switch by disconecting the terminal and twisting switch 90 degrees
3. I found it easier NOT to remove the clip and pin in the plastic male clevis
4. insert a nail or short piece of wire thru the hole in the pin that extends thru the back side of the sping canister to prevent the spring from fully extending upon removal
5. depress the clutch pedal as necessary and pry the complete spring and canister forward to release it from the gold bracket
6. maneuver the spring assembly so as it will drop out as the pedal is depressed fully
I did not like it so i just pulled the spring out cleaned ,oiled, and put it back in. Did the clutch delay switch, will test today.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:08 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 84 Posts

Interesting thread resurrection. I've never seen this one before. Does the mkII 996 have the same spring part # and removal process?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:04 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Does this explain why my 2000 Boxster S clutch is heavier then my 2004 C4S? I was really surprised when I got in the C4S the first time and the clutch was so much lighter but also had less feel. I got use to it pretty quickly but may be interested in doing this as a comparative experiment. Besides, I need to crawl underneath there anyway to disable the darn clutch interlock switch.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:45 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

whoa, i like did this mod and i like it a lot better, i didn't like how the clutch would spring back at you, it felt artificial
Old 05-25-2010, 10:25 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Thumbs up Did the clutch mod. Some thoughts...

Thanks to Chris996 for resurrecting this old thread. I've had the occasional stall-out, and now it seems like it was because the "assist spring" was disengaging (by rotation) at the same time the clutch was engaging, making it hard to feel.
Did the mod yesterday, and it took me a while (maybe an hour) because I didn't understand how to remove the hinge pin end. Turns out you don't have to pull out the retainer clip and slide the pin out, you just pull on the spring and it comes out.
The trick of placing a mop handle through the steering wheel, and using the power seat back to push the clutch was a lifesaver!
The force to actuate the clutch is MUCH higher, but I don't mind it. To fix the wobbly clutch and cruise control, I removed the compression spring from its housing using a vise (be careful!). I picked up a smaller spring at Home Depot (P/N 684838, $3.98 for two). I had to open one end slightly using pliers, but it fits fine. Easy to compress with two hands. It keeps the uncompressed clutch pedal from wobbling, but adds just a little pedal compression assistance. Nice!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:24 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by frisbee91
Thanks to Chris996 for resurrecting this old thread. I've had the occasional stall-out, and now it seems like it was because the "assist spring" was disengaging (by rotation) at the same time the clutch was engaging, making it hard to feel.
Did the mod yesterday, and it took me a while (maybe an hour) because I didn't understand how to remove the hinge pin end. Turns out you don't have to pull out the retainer clip and slide the pin out, you just pull on the spring and it comes out.
The trick of placing a mop handle through the steering wheel, and using the power seat back to push the clutch was a lifesaver!
The force to actuate the clutch is MUCH higher, but I don't mind it. To fix the wobbly clutch and cruise control, I removed the compression spring from its housing using a vise (be careful!). I picked up a smaller spring at Home Depot (P/N 684838, $3.98 for two). I had to open one end slightly using pliers, but it fits fine. Easy to compress with two hands. It keeps the uncompressed clutch pedal from wobbling, but adds just a little pedal compression assistance. Nice!
good idea..
Old 08-01-2010, 09:47 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Funny story.

I read this thread a year or more ago and always wondered what poeple were complaining about. I've always found it really easy to feel where my clutch engages.

Sure I drove some other 996 cars, and sure the clutches felt lighter. Mine was always a bit stiff but I always kind of figured it was getting old and tired.

Well, I drop in to my local indy shop recently and a tech I've known for many years jumps in my car and says - hey your clutch helper spring feels broken. So he pops it out and sure enough, the bottom 1 cm is broken off and rattling around in the housing.

That explains a lot. There's enough tension to keep the cruise control switch working normally, and maybe even enough tension to assist the clutch a bit, but I'm getting the raw clutch feel being discussed here.

The really good news is that this means my clutch probably isn't as badly worn as I thought. <thumbs up>

He asked me if I wanted to replace the broken spring with a new one.....I'm thinking I don't.

Ha!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:37 PM
m2fit4u2
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just performed this mod on my 2001 996TT and I wish I would have done it the first day I bought the car. What a difference ! I have been telling people that this is the most inconsistent clutch I have ever used, not anymore though ! I feel confident that my wife will have no problems driving it now, unlike before. Is it stiffer? Not that I have noticed; even if it is, my calf could use the exercise :-) The cruise control still works too, even if it didn’t, that would be an easy fix. Thanks guys !
Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I just repaired my clutch helper spring and couldn't be happier to have it back to how the Porsche engineers intended.

The car feels much more refined and so far I have had *no* problem finding the friction point.

As it happens, I repaired my clutch helper spring (which had broken) using the spring element from a 997S. Not the whole assembly, just the spring itself. The assembly housing was different. I wonder if the spring rates were the same?

Anyway - I like it the way it is now. Nice and smooth and the bottom of my foot is thanking me.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 AM
m2fit4u2
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I removed the spring I have put about 250 miles on the car. I could not be happier with the mod. My wife who initially had much trouble driving the car, put about 40 miles on over the weekend and she as well cannot believe how much more user friendly it is to drive. When I asked her if the clutch seems stiffer, she replied with “not that I can tell”.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:56 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I did this mod in the Spring (no pun intended), and I am very happy with it. I ended up replacing the stock helper spring with a small spring that I got at home depot (see post #277). It provides just small return force to take the excess play out of the clutch travel and actuate the clutch microswitches.

The mod is still good, but now there is a slight creaky noise when I depress the clutch. I think my spring is just rubbing on the plastic spring-retainer housing. QUESTION: Has anyone used any lube in this area to deal with the squeaky clutch pedal?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:25 PM
nydefense
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra springs for clutch mod.

Originally Posted by 911audiophile
I did the mod over the weekend and was similarly amazed by the improved feel but unhappy with the loose pedal. Didn't want to use an offset (such as rubber hose) to contact cruise control switch so I purchased the softer springs from McMaster-Carr as suggested earlier in this thread. The softer spring moves the clutch pedal to the proper "at rest" position and adds a little assistance throughout the entire clutch pedal travel -- just enough to take the edge off the ***** of my feet from my aluminum pedals (thanks Dutchie in NC). The best thing is that the feel is still dramatically improved. At the beginning of the pedal stroke (seems like 1" in my 2002 Coupe), you can tell that you're not pushing the clutch, just the pedal. That makes a huge difference for me, and the lack of a quickly rising pedal as you release the clutch. As I've read from others, my biggest issue was shifting smoothly from 1st to 2nd. I've stalled the car only once and that was due to inattention (stereo versus stoplight).

I have 5 extra springs that I'll gladly ship to anyone interested. MacMaster-Carr had a 6 piece minimum.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. A great mod. Now onto my exhaust...
I'd like to have one of those springs. I live in Fountain Hills. Just did the mod this morning and I don't like the pedal slopiness either. Let me know if you if you still have one. Thanks
Old 01-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine i felt it acting Wierd in December after i heard a Crunching and Clunk noise come from my Pedal as i was throwing Gears... I believe mine has been broken for a long time. Because today when i picked up my car from the shop with the new Unit in, my Clutch Pedal never Felt so smooth ever before... I have owned my car for alsmost 5 years now and she is 7 years old with 126k. My Pedal now feels like a Brand new car thats in the Porsche Showroom.

This is the Latest Part Number 996-423-081-20, its $49.82 USD at Suncoast or Sonnen Porsche

here is what happend to mine...

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically