996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

*** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 12:23 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 593 Likes on 331 Posts

Local PD put out a PSA for handgun safety and used an interesting photo for the header.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:05 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

"When my 996's battery dies it becomes the most secure gun safe in the world."
The following 3 users liked this post by Dr_Strangelove:
por944trs (04-27-2022), TheChunkNorris (04-26-2022), Type65 (04-26-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 11:35 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Been celebrating too much

I’m still celebrating the purchase of the tt. So I had to take my 996 out to get some more supplies. I sware I feel like a bootlegger when I go out on this liquor runs. A few pics.

Got to love the look of that as?, I should be a brand ambassador for new Belgium this imperial hazy juicy ipa is to die for 9.5 abv. Don’t drink too many of them in a row.

Total wine is the bomb, i Used to shop at specs but this is awesome. They have a rewards program plus on bourbons and whiskey always some tastings.

High octane bourbons. For the price both are excellent. Don Q out of Puerto Rico, best silver rum in the world. Is aged 6 more months than Bacardi. They produce whatever, if some is left after local sales in PR, the rest is available for export. Anyway don’t get confused barcardi is the number one rum in the world Sales wise, but is made in a bunch Of different places, PR, Cuba, Panama, Mexico, etc, never drink the Mexican One you’ll get the biggest hangover headache 🤕 in the world.

The liquor chariot, just another excuse to take the car out.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:44 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,034 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
I’m still celebrating the purchase of the tt. So I had to take my 996 out to get some more supplies. I sware I feel like a bootlegger when I go out on this liquor runs. A few pics.

Got to love the look of that as?, I should be a brand ambassador for new Belgium this imperial hazy juicy ipa is to die for 9.5 abv. Don’t drink too many of them in a row.

Total wine is the bomb, i Used to shop at specs but this is awesome. They have a rewards program plus on bourbons and whiskey always some tastings.

High octane bourbons. For the price both are excellent. Don Q out of Puerto Rico, best silver rum in the world. Is aged 6 more months than Bacardi. They produce whatever, if some is left after local sales in PR, the rest is available for export. Anyway don’t get confused barcardi is the number one rum in the world Sales wise, but is made in a bunch Of different places, PR, Cuba, Panama, Mexico, etc, never drink the Mexican One you’ll get the biggest hangover headache 🤕 in the world.

The liquor chariot, just another excuse to take the car out.
Bacardi isn’t made in Cuba but it did originate there, they haven’t made rum there since the Communist Revolution. Havana Club is the preferred domestic Cuban Rum and Rum Barrilito 5 Star is considered the best rum produced on the island of Puerto Rico.

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 04-27-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:20 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Bacardi isn’t made in Cuba but it did originate there, they haven’t made rum there since the Communist Revolution. Havana Club is the preferred domestic Cuban Rum and Rum Barrilito 5 Star is considered the best rum produced on the island of Puerto Rico.
thanks for the info about Cuba. I disagree about el barilito. Best dark rum in the world is made in Guatemala Zacapa Centenario. Yes Appleton estate (Jamaica) is good, brugal from the Dominican has some interesting limited releases, El Salvador has one that starts with 5 years and goes up from there. Zacapa just takes the crown. Havana club is not bad.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:35 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

thanks for the info about Cuba. I disagree about el barilito. Best dark rum in the world is made in Guatemala Zacapa Centenario. Yes Appleton estate (Jamaica) is good, brugal from the Dominican has some interesting limited releases, El Salvador has one that starts with 5 years and goes up from there. Zacapa just takes the crown. Havana club is not bad.
It's all good and I'm not particularly a rum person but I do like Don Q Gran Reserva, I've never had 5 star ever because it's a $1k bottle of rum and my grandpa only drank Barilito 3 star when we were kids. I'm first generation American in my family and only person of my generation born outside PR. If you ever get a chance the main Bacardi Distillery is in Cataño PR and across the bay from San Juan... it's a really nice tour and very scenic. The new tour is way more polished than the old one but I preferred the old one as you saw most of the original distillery.

I found this mouse pad about 6yrs ago when my parents sold my childhood home and moved to Melbourne, this thing is easily 20yrs old and has been with me since I found it.

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 04-27-2022 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 02:03 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Been there done that

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
It's all good and I'm not particularly a rum person but I do like Don Q Gran Reserva, I've never had 5 star ever because it's a $1k bottle of rum and my grandpa only drank Barilito 3 star when we were kids. I'm first generation American in my family and only person of my generation born outside PR. If you ever get a chance the main Bacardi Distillery is in Cataño PR and across the bay from San Juan... it's a really nice tour and very scenic. The new tour is way more polished than the old one but I preferred the old one as you saw most of the original distillery.

I found this mouse pad about 6yrs ago when my parents sold my childhood home and moved to Melbourne, this thing is easily 20yrs old and has been with me since I found it.

Yeah I was born in San Jose but grew up in PR. From 6 months to 5 years old I actually lived in Vieques because my dad was VP of General Electric and he built the industrial fuse factory there. We used to buy lobsters at 25 cents a pound. Anyway from 5 to 18 I was in the island. In 2013 I organized a group trip with a bunch of my wife’s family and we stayed at the Marriott in el condado. So 25 people on total, Bacardi tour, Serralles (Don Q tour), we went to culebra for a day. We also went to Palomino island off Fajardo from el Conquistador hotel. My mom who’s fixing to be 82 in December still lives in the Island, I was there for three weeks in oct-November. I still haven’t changed my mind, PR is a nice place to visit but not a nice place to live. I been living in Texas for 35 years, wouldn’t change a thing. Coolest thing about PR, go there on the winter time, enjoy the beach, the locals don’t like to go there during that time. Drunk in December by 10 am in the morning with a sun tan,
The following users liked this post:
TheChunkNorris (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 02:11 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Yeah I was born in San Jose but grew up in PR. From 6 months to 5 years old I actually lived in Vieques because my dad was VP of General Electric and he built the industrial fuse factory there. We used to buy lobsters at 25 cents a pound. Anyway from 5 to 18 I was in the island. In 2013 I organized a group trip with a bunch of my wife’s family and we stayed at the Marriott in el condado. So 25 people on total, Bacardi tour, Serralles (Don Q tour), we went to culebra for a day. We also went to Palomino island off Fajardo from el Conquistador hotel. My mom who’s fixing to be 82 in December still lives in the Island, I was there for three weeks in oct-November. I still haven’t changed my mind, PR is a nice place to visit but not a nice place to live. I been living in Texas for 35 years, wouldn’t change a thing. Coolest thing about PR, go there on the winter time, enjoy the beach, the locals don’t like to go there during that time. Drunk in December by 10 am in the morning with a sun tan,
That’s awesome and I’ll be there in early Dec! With the exception of some cousins, my whole family lives there to include my only living grandparents.
Old 04-27-2022, 03:14 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,768 Likes on 902 Posts

I used to work for Diageo in my past life. They are one of the biggest liquor distributors and own many brands. Having done multiple tastings I can confirm Zacapa being the jam. I haven't had their black edition but the 23yo was wonderful. Actually preferred it to the XO! I'm more of a scotch guy but during the summer I switch to mezcal an gin.
The following 2 users liked this post by plpete84:
GC996 (04-28-2022), TheChunkNorris (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 03:34 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plpete84
I used to work for Diageo in my past life. They are one of the biggest liquor distributors and own many brands. Having done multiple tastings I can confirm Zacapa being the jam. I haven't had their black edition but the 23yo was wonderful. Actually preferred it to the XO! I'm more of a scotch guy but during the summer I switch to mezcal an gin.
Mezcal is something I enjoy more now.
plpete84 (04-28-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 04:50 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Places in PR

Originally Posted by plpete84
The last three years since I was thinking my mother passed away I had spent like 20 weeks in PR. There are a few places that are worth while. On the west go to Rincón. Their brewery is pretty good. If you are there go to Mangia me, it’s an Italian restaurant, daily fresh made pastas, out of this world, the owners who are lesbians are celebrity chefs, you cant go wrong with any dish there, the girls have been in the food network all of the time. In San Juan go to pescadería Atlántico, paella, whole red snapper, octopus in olive oil amazing. There are a bunch of hole in the wall places there that are amazing. The problem is finding if they are open. If you are in the San Juan , isla verde área, go to ocean lab brewery amazing.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:39 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 277 Posts

The disrespect.

All this talk about rum and no acknowledgement of the King of Rums, which coincidentally is my username.

The following 3 users liked this post by barbancourt:
GC996 (04-27-2022), Lady Silver (04-27-2022), TheChunkNorris (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 06:01 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by barbancourt
The disrespect.

All this talk about rum and no acknowledgement of the King of Rums, which coincidentally is my username.

Welp I think we gotta try it now.
barbancourt (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 10:58 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,768 Likes on 902 Posts

I used to say, "life is too short to drink the same thing all the time". That looks like worth a try!
Old 04-28-2022, 11:48 AM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 277 Posts

There is also the 15 year version. I actually prefer the 8 year... maybe because that is what I'm used to. It's the standard.

For those who try it... do not get the 3 star. Get the 5 Star or the 15 year Reserve Du Domain. The 3 star is purely a mixer-level rum, IMO.

This is the 15 year version bottle. It comes in a box.

Quick Reply: *** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***