Sponsored by:

*** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 09:11 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,585 Likes on 2,077 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
This is awesome info and good to hear. Can you share whether Porsche has a standardized corporate "book rate hours" for commodity tasks like brakes rotor & pads front/rear, etc.

The " Flat Rate Book Times" are published by the Manufactures for the models they produce, and are to be used by Dealers to charge for Warranty Repair back to the Manufacturers. The "Flat Rate Book Times" are also used by Dealers to charge for Customer Pay repair orders, but NOT above "Book Times" , they can get in legal trouble for charging above "Book Time" The exception to this is for abnormal diagnostics, or for broken or rusty bolts, that can add additional "Actual Time" to the "Book Time"...

Independents use the times published in either Chilton Labor Time Manual or Motor Labor Time Manual. These labor time guides are published using the Manufacturers Times from the various auto manufacturers+ 15%...These Labor Guides can be found in most Public Library's and will list the "Manufacturer Time" in parenthesis along with their +15% Time.

The Labor Times are established by an actual Factory Trained Technician doing the operation 3 times, then averaged, he must follow the Factory procedure and use any Factory Special Tools required. In years past, they were not allowed to use Air or Electric Tools, ( hand tools only) , but that is long past..If the operation is over 4 hours, time is allowed for bathroom visits, and visit to parts counter, but no time is allowed for parts counter delay or for any lengthy conversations...lol

Sometimes the operations are not actually "timed" using an actual Factory Trained Technician, if the new model is similar to the old model, they will just "assume" the same time required. This will be discovered by a Dealer Technician and will file a review of the operation, they Factory may move the Time up or down accordingly..

If the operation is not in the "book" the Technician must clock on the RO and use "Actual Time" of the operation, and explain all the steps taken to justify the time. ( this is reviewed by Porsche if they are being charged for it)

Sometimes I think they just make up ****, because the times are unrealistically low.,,,like Cayenne Hybrid engine/transmission/complete front cradle R&R about 8.5 hours...but filing a review/complaint takes time, and probably will not result in a change...lol

Times include the usual 6 mile road test before repair and 6 mile minimum road test after the repair, but not extensive road tests..

Competitive operations like brake jobs and front end alignments are usually charged at "less than book time" to be competitive with Indy's, but don't have to be, and they won't charge OVER. (they would get in trouble , they just have to up the $ per hour)

The Dealer in Bama that I retired from was $150 per hour when I left...

The following users liked this post:
ZuffenZeus (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 09:30 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,812 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
Love Floyd.
The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
SSDVC (04-26-2022), zbomb (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 11:23 PM
pulpo
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 211 Posts

I went to pick up my car from the dealer and there was a beautiful white 996 GT2 being picked up from the service department as well.

So at least mine wasn't the only 20 year old car passing through the shop this week.
ZuffenZeus (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 11:39 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Got her done Brembo style. My book time was 4 hrs. That included cleaning up the garage afterwards. Had to come back and adjust the parking brake. Had the drums too high… was making a scraping/ tapping sound. Other than that, smooth sailing. Came in at about $530 for parts. Like these better than the Zimmermans I bought last time.
The following 3 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
golock911 (04-23-2022), peterp (04-23-2022), TheChunkNorris (04-23-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 10:11 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 663 Posts

I was just reading somewhere on here that the brembo pads squeal in street use.
Old 04-23-2022, 10:53 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
I have Brembo branded pads on my Touareg with 18z calipers... they make some weird noises. Not so much a squeal but like rubbing sound at very low breaking speeds.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:11 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,812 Likes on 2,173 Posts

I love the squeeling and grinding sounds of aggressive pads against slotted rotors on the street. Let's me know the brakes are working. After all its a Porsche not a Lexus right?!
The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
golock911 (04-23-2022), JohnCA58 (04-23-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 02:51 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
I have Brembo branded pads on my Touareg with 18z calipers... they make some weird noises. Not so much a squeal but like rubbing sound at very low breaking speeds.
Originally Posted by GC996
I love the squeeling and grinding sounds of aggressive pads against slotted rotors on the street. Let's me know the brakes are working. After all its a Porsche not a Lexus right?!

Thanks guys. Yea, I thought it was coming from the new pads and rotors, but then realized that I had tightened the parking brake drums because the noise was coming from the back. While I was test driving it, I could feel the tapping and scrapping vibration radiated through the hand brake. If I pull on the hand brake up while driving slow, the noise would change in pitch leading me to believe the drums were the culprit. I returned back to my garage jacked her butt up in the air, removed the wheels, positioned the bolt hole over the drum adjustment wheel, gave it a few negative clicks on both sides, put the wheels back on and went for another test drive. Tapping/scrapping noise was gone. Surprisingly, the new rotors and pads didn't squeal like other cars I did this job on.

And, I'll have to admit. Like Peter said, doing this job is easier on these cars. I'm not as fast as him, but It's remarkable how easy it is to remove the calipers and pads on these cars. The last owner didn't use the factory shims on the rear and so those pads just slid right out. I also had to change out the old sensors since they were toasted. But they're also easy to swap out.

I wish couldn't say the same for my old truck...

I just finished the front brakes on my old 97 Ford F150 truck. That was a job because the wheel bearings have to be swapped out with a rotor change. When I pulled the two bearings, I couldn't help but think about the pains associated with the IMS bearing on M9X engines. Anyway, it was a PITA chore compressing the pistons on that old rusted caliper. Thought I'd never get it down enough for the new pads to slide back on the new rotors. Ugh! Went for a test drive and it squealed like a pig and smoked like a freight train. There goes the neighborhood! haha I yelled out the window... "No worries... Mosquito control!!!!"

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 04-24-2022 at 11:37 AM.
TheChunkNorris (04-23-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 03:01 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Driving down to DC this morning and while passing through Maryland I saw a State Trooper who had pulled over a GT3, think it was a 997.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:32 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default This Bud for you and mike

Luis, don't forget us common folk with an occasional food and drink post on this thread as you work your way up the Porsche ladder.
look at mileage on mi 996 sitting in the driveway. Making breakfast for the fam. Poblano chicken sausage, Mexican chorizo, potatoes, scrambled eggs, tortillas, bacon fat refried beans, flour tortillas. Latter on 996 tt
celebration smoked prime rib. Life is definitely good, hopefully my Yankees win today again.

Crusting that prime rib with mc cormicks Montreal steak seasoning.

Awesome mileage 99699.

I’m pretty handy with the knife and butchers twine.

Ready to start the meat potatoes scramble eggs.

Bacon fat refried beans.

Sunday so fruity Day Spanish sangria my way, Don q 151 (Puerto Rican ), Tito’s handmade vodka (Texas product), Spanish rioja wine fruit juices to get my vitamins, i surely don’t know the octane of this conccuction.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:38 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 961 Posts

The ship I'm working on has a pretty extensive movie library and has 99% of all the movies from the Star Wars franchise, decided to start watching them... all. Yes that includes the animated series too, found a website that has them in somewhat chronological order. I've watched the live action movies over the years but never the animated ones and never in order... let me tell you episodes 1-3 were extremely hard to watch because they're terrible. I'm halfway and about to start watching episode IV A New Hope today. This is the list I've been using and the only caveat being The Bad Batch and that would go at the end Clone War Season 6 as it has Order 66 in it's first episode(spoiler alert):
  • Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
  • Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008-2020)
  • Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)
  • Star Wars Rebels (2014-2018)
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
  • Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
  • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
  • Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)
  • The Mandalorian (2019-present)
  • The Book of Boba Feet (2021-present)
  • Star Wars: Resistance (2018-2020)
  • Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)
  • Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017)
  • Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Still think IV - VI are the best and I'm relatively young at 39yrs old and Rouge One is the best Disney film(I'll fight you on that one too... try me). Also hope the upcoming Ashoka series continues some of the Star Wars Rebels because it's a decent storyline.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:15 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Star Wars is great, more fun watch stuff.

1. Taken three, black 996 at the end a la will smith action. 2. Watch all of them Power series. Start in the right order. Power all six seasons. The part two Ghost. Tariq two season. Part 3 raising Kanan ( fifty cent). Part four force Tommy Eagan (in Chicago). Drugs, hoes, sex, gangs, the whole underworld. 3. If you have the time : got to go back to the Sopranos, Damn i wish that would have been my family, I would have been general manager, QC inspector at “Bada Bing”
Old 04-26-2022, 10:41 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,786 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
Driving down to DC this morning and while passing through Maryland I saw a State Trooper who had pulled over a GT3, think it was a 997.
Ah man - just seeing this! Would be great to meet up. Was this on 95? There are some speed traps, especially between Delaware and Baltimore. Waze has saved my butt more than a few times.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:57 AM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 158 Posts

Love Floyd.
Who doesn't ?!?!?!?
GC996 (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 11:06 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
Ah man - just seeing this! Would be great to meet up. Was this on 95? There are some speed traps, especially between Delaware and Baltimore. Waze has saved my butt more than a few times.
Between Waze and my K40 I drive with confidence. Yes it was on 95 about 30 minutes north of Baltimore about 8:30 in the morning. We will meet up soon.
plpete84 (04-26-2022)

Quick Reply: *** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***