Sponsored by:

Chunks slow build... very slow.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 06:02 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
Chunk - But aren’t you inside the A/C barrier?
I don’t miss life on a big gray prison barge.
Soooo this thing started it's life as a USNS ship and has a forward and aft house, I live in the forward house that wasn't part of the initial build before it became a USS hull. With that said this POS doesn't have your standard air barrier systems you're used to.

Originally Posted by BReif61
Any idea what happened? Just the economics not pencilling out anymore?
Hey Brother did you end up getting your ducktail?
Old 07-16-2023, 07:38 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Finally ordered the Function First solid shifter ends today via their site:

https://www.function-first.com/produ...42746783957145

With the FF solid cables and the FF ball bearing metal guts for the shifter, the set up should be complete with the exception of this:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99742498300.html

It claims to shorten the throw by 35% and has an illustration of the throw. If the 997 is 15% shorter than a 996 and you add that... I can't math. Looks like something I'd like to consider down the road, the B&M was shorter than I liked.

Anyway I'll inspect the trans mount when under the car undoing the shifter cable ends and make any adjustments on the shifter console, there are set screws on the bushings that I'd like to confirm they're set. This time the screws will marked with a torque stripe like I should've done in the beginning. My time at home will be shorter this time around, had a family member pass a couple weeks so we're having a celebration of life a day after I'm scheduled to come home... which means I'll have to drive to Ocala from Miami(4hrs or so) to drive down the next day and leave to Disneyland for 6 days. After running that gamut, I'll have time to start poking around on the Porsche and the VW then the Mojave.

So far I have most of the things needed for the Mojave Trail and at this point my buddy may or may not go which means I'll probably do the trail alone in my trusty Touareg. Need to mount the new rack when it arrives and adding a second battery with a 12v panel adjacent to the factory one that is in the trunk area. The spare battery will go where the uber compact spare is now because with the lift and new tire combo... a space saver won't work too well. Only big ticket item is the fridge, need to measure the trunk with the hatch closed to see if the fridge I want will actually fit. Like the Cayenne the Touareg has a little slope in the trunk area which aesthetically looks great but sucks dimensionally.

The following users liked this post:
wdb (07-16-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 08:32 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Anyone in Detroit who knows Rod@Classic 9? Communications has been really slow and my window home is small this year so I’d like the Sparco in sooner than later.

I’ve noticed some small blemishes in the paint after I washed her, think my dad may have driven the car through a car wash sooooo I’m going to strip and recoat. The TE37 that was getting touched up is done but I’m on my way to LA for a family vacation to Disney, pretty stoked to get working on the car when I get back and finally get the suspension in. Probably getting tires for the TEs by way of Michelin PS2s, same as the OZs. The shifter ends arrived and just like the rest of FF’s parts… they’re very well machined and complete.
The following 4 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
Justin76 (07-24-2023), plpete84 (07-24-2023), wdb (07-24-2023), zbomb (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 09:34 AM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Anyone in Detroit who knows Rod@Classic 9? Communications has been really slow and my window home is small this year so I’d like the Sparco in sooner than later.

I’ve noticed some small blemishes in the paint after I washed her, think my dad may have driven the car through a car wash sooooo I’m going to strip and recoat. The TE37 that was getting touched up is done but I’m on my way to LA for a family vacation to Disney, pretty stoked to get working on the car when I get back and finally get the suspension in. Probably getting tires for the TEs by way of Michelin PS2s, same as the OZs. The shifter ends arrived and just like the rest of FF’s parts… they’re very well machined and complete.
just glad your home and safe brother.. enjoy the vacation as it is well deserved!
TheChunkNorris (07-24-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 12:57 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Welp… before I left to our family vacation at Disneyland, my DSM GT3 Cup lip departed the front of my car while on the highway because I waited too long to install the lip via nuts n bolts like @De Jeeper and @TexSquirrel advised me to. The lip arrived at my house yesterday via DSM in 3 days… I love their CS and products.

Next will be some detailing items. The Leatherique thread convinced me to try it out on my seats which are pretty clean and have very little wear.

Lastly, I’ll be picking up the remainder of the suspension from Phil after August 10th which buys me time to get some small parts for the Ohlins. The M030 should be off any ready around that time as well.
TexSquirrel (07-29-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 11:35 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Finally got the TE back, the shop did a really nice job. I’m not sure if I’ll be putting tires this year but I’m happy the rims are complete.

I did pick up the E88s from my buddy’s shop expecting the worst since one of the faces was cracked. After looking at each of the barrels and lips, no other cracks or bends and they’re indeed OEM BBS assemblies.

The following 2 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
wdb (08-10-2023), yaz996 (08-09-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 12:08 PM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Finally got the TE back, the shop did a really nice job. I’m not sure if I’ll be putting tires this year but I’m happy the rims are complete.

I did pick up the E88s from my buddy’s shop expecting the worst since one of the faces was cracked. After looking at each of the barrels and lips, no other cracks or bends and they’re indeed OEM BBS assemblies.

Nice. Through a long and complicated process mine finally materialized as well. What are your plans for refinishing the centers and barrels? I'm sure this isn't your first rodeo and these rims are so nice when done well.
TheChunkNorris (08-14-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 06:37 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

After reading up on @wdb Leatherique thread, I decided to try it out. Let me tell you, it’s fantastic. The Rejuvenator sat for 3 days and it was slightly waxy/tacky before I used the Pristine clean and the warm water bucket technique for material removal.

wdb (08-12-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 01:07 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c didy
Nice. Through a long and complicated process mine finally materialized as well. What are your plans for refinishing the centers and barrels? I'm sure this isn't your first rodeo and these rims are so nice when done well.
Glad you got yours sorted out. The plan is to redo the centers in Diamond black, LMs come in this color.

Next would be polished lips and doing clear powder coating on the barrels and lips. Polished hardware as well, only weird thing I’m doing is Butzi’s center cap adapters with spinning BBS center caps in black/silver.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:12 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

A buddy of mine took some impromptu pics at a meet up in Wynwood. The venue was really nice, it’s called Walt’s Grace. They sell cars, it’s a cafeteria and has a music inspired retro feel. I took these.

He snapped these and started a 996 “club” called Runny Eggs. Next week will be doing a breakfast event and a ride to Key Largo, some really really nice cars to include a couple Jahre’s, Turbos, GT3s and alike.

The following 4 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
GC996 (08-15-2023), Justin76 (08-14-2023), maekwl (08-22-2023), wdb (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 11:10 PM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Glad you got yours sorted out. The plan is to redo the centers in Diamond black, LMs come in this color.

Next would be polished lips and doing clear powder coating on the barrels and lips. Polished hardware as well, only weird thing I’m doing is Butzi’s center cap adapters with spinning BBS center caps in black/silver.
Haha, a little weird? Good on ya, that sounds great.
TheChunkNorris (08-14-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 12:54 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c didy
Haha, a little weird? Good on ya, that sounds great.
The particular adapters I want are tool less and don’t require you bolt the adapter down. Here’s what they look like, photos taken from Butzi’s site.

Otto Bonn (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 10:15 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,678 Likes on 982 Posts

I got the same from rose passion in Germany they are beautiful but pricey

Old 08-16-2023, 12:39 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EVOMMM
I got the same from rose passion in Germany they are beautiful but pricey

The face is interesting, it doesn’t have the 3 screw holes. Wonder what variation those are, I ordered mine with the part number off the cracked rim.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:48 PM
BReif61
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Brother did you end up getting your ducktail?
Just saw this; mine was ordered and delivered in 2022. Glad I didn’t wait.

Quick Reply: Chunks slow build... very slow.