Sponsored by:

Chunks slow build... very slow.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 03:39 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Got an amazing opportunity to see Petra this week. We weren’t scheduled to hit Jordan at all but somehow it worked out. Can’t begin to tell you all how lucky I was to get this bucket list item knocked out and it’s definitely worth the experience
I was there in '99, part of a long backpack dive safari with some land excursions we mixed in. There was no agenda, the only thing that was prebooked was the live aboard dive boat. Every now and again I get my dive logs out and I can see everything in my mind like I'm still there. Dusk Dives at the brothers, where no one in their right mind should be getting wet, with a seemingly submarine sized oceanic white tip circling us as we dangled on our off gassing line, daring each other to be last out of the water..., Deep drift dives on big brother, the waves overhead as we rib'd to the dives starting point. The boat driver in mask and snorkel, grinning as we surfed along. hammerheads, greys, octopus mating at night, flashing iridescent in my dive light, the sun and color over the Sudan, night dives at the Thistlegorm, flying with sea turtles in the current. The smell of camel, and color of dust in the fading light at Petra, the soukh, Cairo madness, Russian nightclubs, hookahs, nights under the stars. Everything was like being in an Edgar rice Burroughs adventure to me. I literally cried a few times at the beauty of it all, knowing I had to go back to dreary cold London, the last dive so bittersweet. The other divers faces, sad but knowing at the same time, that we had memories shared that felt unique and special, a secret only we shared. my life now seems boring. Modern life is rubbish as they say. Sorry, your pictures made me a little melancholy I'm afraid. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-22-2023, 03:46 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts

Welp… it was nice while it lasted. My buddy sent me this.

Yeah I saw that as well. You could always ask a friend there to bring it over as carry on. Or maybe another shop could buy one and ship it themselves. Lee from 9werks has one on his '99. Maybe he's got a connection.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:04 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by damage98MO
Yeah I saw that as well. You could always ask a friend there to bring it over as carry on. Or maybe another shop could buy one and ship it themselves. Lee from 9werks has one on his '99. Maybe he's got a connection.
I was fortunate to get mine and if I got the exhaust, I’d have to ask one of my friends across the pond to ship it for me.

Originally Posted by damage98MO
I was there in '99, part of a long backpack dive safari with some land excursions we mixed in. There was no agenda, the only thing that was prebooked was the live aboard dive boat. Every now and again I get my dive logs out and I can see everything in my mind like I'm still there. Dusk Dives at the brothers, where no one in their right mind should be getting wet, with a seemingly submarine sized oceanic white tip circling us as we dangled on our off gassing line, daring each other to be last out of the water..., Deep drift dives on big brother, the waves overhead as we rib'd to the dives starting point. The boat driver in mask and snorkel, grinning as we surfed along. hammerheads, greys, octopus mating at night, flashing iridescent in my dive light, the sun and color over the Sudan, night dives at the Thistlegorm, flying with sea turtles in the current. The smell of camel, and color of dust in the fading light at Petra, the soukh, Cairo madness, Russian nightclubs, hookahs, nights under the stars. Everything was like being in an Edgar rice Burroughs adventure to me. I literally cried a few times at the beauty of it all, knowing I had to go back to dreary cold London, the last dive so bittersweet. The other divers faces, sad but knowing at the same time, that we had memories shared that felt unique and special, a secret only we shared. my life now seems boring. Modern life is rubbish as they say. Sorry, your pictures made me a little melancholy I'm afraid. Thanks for sharing.
No worries at all brother and I know that feeling all too well. Glad you could at least reminisce on some good memories. The sun is setting on my deployment career so I’ll look back on this one fondly.
Old 06-23-2023, 12:32 PM
BReif61
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 25 Posts

Welp… it was nice while it lasted. My buddy sent me this.

Any idea what happened? Just the economics not pencilling out anymore?
Old 06-24-2023, 07:54 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,678 Likes on 982 Posts

That’s a shame I think it has to do with conforming to safety regulations standards
you’ll have to find a third party to ship it privately
The following users liked this post:
TheChunkNorris (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 08:43 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BReif61
Any idea what happened? Just the economics not pencilling out anymore?
It seems like and shipping to the US was probably a hassle.
Old 06-24-2023, 11:26 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,799 Likes on 2,164 Posts

It seems like and shipping to the US was probably a hassle.

I would think just shipping parts into the US wouldn't be a hassle unless it was an EPA or NHTSA issue, there are no Customs or Taxes charged I don't think..

I know shipping stuff over the pond from here the Customs/Tax will want another 21%!!
TheChunkNorris (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 11:46 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,052 Likes on 2,300 Posts

Damn shame. Love to really know why they aren't shipping.

With the excitement created by the Seinfeld purchased 996 Club, we will see someone in the US make a carbon version. Just like the endorsement by Magnus a few years ago created social media awareness on the 996 with the millennial generation, Seinfeld's purchase and positive words on the 996 will put a turbocharger on 996 demand and especially interest in the ducktail.

Glad you got one Joel. Keeping my fingers crossed that I will eventually be able to get one as well. Not ready to refresh the exterior yet, so I got time to watch the rising demand for the 996 to materialize into even more solutions for us 996 owners.

Last edited by GC996; 06-24-2023 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2023, 12:50 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GC996
Damn shame. Love to really know why they aren't shipping.

With the excitement created by the Seinfeld purchased 996 Club, we will see someone in the US make a carbon version. Just like the endorsement by Magnus a few years ago created social media awareness on the 996 with the millennial generation, Seinfeld's purchase and positive words on the 996 will put a turbocharger on 996 interest and especially the ducktail.

Glad you got one Joel. Keeping my fingers crossed that I will eventually be able to get one as well. Not ready to refresh the exterior yet, so I got time to watch the rising demand for the 996 to materialize into even more solutions for us 996 owners.
I could reach out and ask, Simon was very good to work with. If anything maybe we can ask about a bulk purchase? Should be home mid July.

Originally Posted by EVOMMM
That’s a shame I think it has to do with conforming to safety regulations standards
you’ll have to find a third party to ship it privately
I have a couple people I could ask or just fly to England and ship myself.

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I would think just shipping parts into the US wouldn't be a hassle unless it was an EPA or NHTSA issue, there are no Customs or Taxes charged I don't think..

I know shipping stuff over the pond from here the Customs/Tax will want another 21%!!
I did have to pay a fee to DHL but don’t recall the actual price. When I had my Z and ordered parts from Japan, there were a couple times I had to pay some type of fee as well. Wish I paid more attention to what it was.
wdb (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 01:24 PM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 354 Posts

I think the threshold is $800 for importing duty free to the US.
The following 2 users liked this post by yaz996:
168Sierra (07-15-2023), TheChunkNorris (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 01:28 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yaz996
I think the threshold is $800 for importing duty free to the US.
I want to say it was under $200?
Old 06-24-2023, 02:00 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

As of this post, I have the only Evo Ducktail and I was hoping to see more… I’ve never been a gatekeeper and enjoy when other people get things based on my irrational and irresponsible buying habits.
Old 06-24-2023, 02:08 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,052 Likes on 2,300 Posts

Regulations = Headaches = Costs = Business Prevention = Unhappy People
The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
maekwl (07-04-2023), TheChunkNorris (06-24-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 08:02 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

About 2 days from hopping on a helicopter and getting off this floating prison of shame. Having been part of the military/contractor over the last 20yrs has brought me to some miserably hot places… each place hotter than the next. My 2 person stateroom is currently 85° and 78% humidity at 0252am. Its time, the company I work for is going through a transitional period and couldn’t find a replacement and I was extended yet again.

Started from my first post and started reading this thread, realized that at some point I mentioned that having a set of TE’s or E88’s would be a dream. Never thought I’d end up with both, such an amazing feeling.

A local dude started a 996 group in Miami and have been meeting once a month, looks like I’ll get to maybe do one this time around so looking forward to that. Can’t wait to get back in the car and actually drive… I haven’t driven anything for 7months!!!

The following 4 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
168Sierra (07-15-2023), Ratchet1025 (07-17-2023), yaz996 (07-15-2023), zbomb (07-15-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 09:57 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 645 Posts

Chunk - But aren’t you inside the A/C barrier?
I don’t miss life on a big gray prison barge.
TheChunkNorris (07-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Chunks slow build... very slow.