Sponsored by:

Chunks slow build... very slow.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 03:10 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
FWIW - I haven’t replaced the gasket/o-ring during my rebuilds (2X). They were in perfect condition visually and never experienced any air leaks.

I do generally replace the hardware and valve stems though.
I get you but my wheels are in pieces so might as well buy once and cry once.
The following users liked this post:
smceo (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 03:13 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
I get you but my wheels are in pieces so might as well buy once and cry once.

Tru dat big bear.
The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
EVOMMM (03-31-2023), TheChunkNorris (03-31-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 11:40 AM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOMMM
Chunk did you get all bbs replacements?
im asking because when I get the rims I want to have them powered BBS Gold and want them rebuilt
please post any contact info

Paint is recommended. Powder coating is not. here's some info.
This has a number of links.

https://strikeengine.com/alloy-wheel...r-powder-coat/

Last edited by Otto Bonn; 04-02-2023 at 11:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Otto Bonn:
damage98MO (04-02-2023), EVOMMM (04-02-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 12:49 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c didy
Paint is recommended. Powder coating is not. here's some info.
This has a number of links.

https://strikeengine.com/alloy-wheel...r-powder-coat/
Ill read it now but I remember when I got my 350Z wheels done, I was told to paint and not powder coat due to the wheels being Forged aluminum. My TEs will be painted guard’s red and the e88s will be in BBS RGR Diamond Black.

Old 04-02-2023, 01:38 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts

Ill read it now but I remember when I got my 350Z wheels done, I was told to paint and not powder coat due to the wheels being Forged aluminum. My TEs will be painted guard’s red and the e88s will be in BBS RGR Diamond Black.

Ricer! 😂 Those are so bling. What color is your Z? It looks blue but can't tell.I learn something on the rennlist everyday...I had no idea that powder coating, too much heat, is bad for alloy wheels. I mean, I have the basics of metallurgy, but I figured that the wheel powder coating processes were safe. That's because there's shops that powder coat wheels all day long. First I was going to get them refinished and painted by
https://www.rgxrims.com/wheel-customization
Then I was told that paint would not last, that the places use an automotive paint clearcoat and it's just not durable enough and absorbs brake dust.
So when a fellow PCA member here posted pics of his newly powder coated wheels, and recommended a place about 2 hours up the highway in Raleigh my mind was changed. I planned on powder coating my 17 twists in black, maybe glossy to mimic the factory option. But now I'm not so sold on powder coating. I want to keep my original factory wheels though. Mine are the silver gray, very curbed and the finish is peeling off in places. As a stopgap I've plastidipped them black. Love the look with my black Carrera decals on meridian metallic. The paint and trim repair shop, RGX are local to me so easier, and have decent testimonials. Maybe I'll check that paint option again.
OR maybe I'll stick with plastidipped. I've done it once and the finish is a bit meh, but I'm sure the second time I can do a better job. I also used the older plastidip last time, and since then I believe the product has advanced quite a bit. You can't beat the price, and so far it's held up, looks fine from 10ft.
Sorry for the essay. Why do my posts always end up so freaking long? Apologies!
Old 04-02-2023, 05:42 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by damage98MO
Ricer! 😂 Those are so bling. What color is your Z? It looks blue but can't tell.I learn something on the rennlist everyday...I had no idea that powder coating, too much heat, is bad for alloy wheels. I mean, I have the basics of metallurgy, but I figured that the wheel powder coating processes were safe. That's because there's shops that powder coat wheels all day long. First I was going to get them refinished and painted by
https://www.rgxrims.com/wheel-customization
Then I was told that paint would not last, that the places use an automotive paint clearcoat and it's just not durable enough and absorbs brake dust.
So when a fellow PCA member here posted pics of his newly powder coated wheels, and recommended a place about 2 hours up the highway in Raleigh my mind was changed. I planned on powder coating my 17 twists in black, maybe glossy to mimic the factory option. But now I'm not so sold on powder coating. I want to keep my original factory wheels though. Mine are the silver gray, very curbed and the finish is peeling off in places. As a stopgap I've plastidipped them black. Love the look with my black Carrera decals on meridian metallic. The paint and trim repair shop, RGX are local to me so easier, and have decent testimonials. Maybe I'll check that paint option again.
OR maybe I'll stick with plastidipped. I've done it once and the finish is a bit meh, but I'm sure the second time I can do a better job. I also used the older plastidip last time, and since then I believe the product has advanced quite a bit. You can't beat the price, and so far it's held up, looks fine from 10ft.
Sorry for the essay. Why do my posts always end up so freaking long? Apologies!
Believe it or not, it’s actually Silverstone. She was a 2004 350z Touring, loved that car. The purple was a candy version of HKS purple. When HKS USA closed their doors the first time, I bought their experimental GT Supercharger and HKS Endless Brakes. My car was known even to HKS Japan and the only full GT kit in North America, all the parts were legit and I miss that car terribly.

I just remember people saying the heating process could damage the integrity of the wheel but that was specifically for forged wheels like the TEs and alike. I prefer painted wheels because I can easily repair chips but powder coating is supremely more durable. My painter used a BASF kit for the cage and I’ll be color matching the wheels to that for a RS look. Honestly I think the tech has changed for powder coating as well. I might be living in 2008 when it comes to the process.

Also don’t apologize, I appreciate the discussion part of all the madness going on in this thread… good or bad I like chatting it up.

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 04-02-2023 at 05:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
brontosaurus (04-03-2023), damage98MO (04-03-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 08:43 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 645 Posts

Also don’t apologize, I appreciate the discussion part of all the madness going on in this thread… good or bad I like chatting it up.
You see the problem! Chunk is eminently reasonable and he must be banned!
The following 3 users liked this post by hatchetf15:
damage98MO (04-03-2023), GC996 (04-03-2023), TheChunkNorris (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 07:07 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
You see the problem! Chunk is eminently reasonable and he must be banned!
All jokes aside, I think people take themselves too seriously here and would probably act differently if they were not hiding behind a phone screen or computer monitor. I’ve met some cool people on here and I follow most of them on IG so I’m happy about that. I’m sure there are a lot of guys that don’t particularly like my taste in upgrades or the dudes I run with but they participate anyway and know I’m not a dick 100% of the time.
The following 3 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
EVOMMM (04-03-2023), GC996 (04-03-2023), hatchetf15 (04-03-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 06:08 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Quick update. The Sparco seat is on its way to Rod@Classic 9. Only thing I’ll be changing is the subdued “Sparco” script to an embossed crest. The parts required to attach the BBI mount to seat are on their way to my girl’s house. Pretty excited for this particular upgrade especially since there’s a chance I’ll be at Sebring at the beginning of Sept for my first HPDE in a Porsche.

Unrelated to the actual seat but a safety thing would be new seat belt receptacles and maybe a Willans harness. If you haven’t noticed I like weird crap and had Willans on my Z so going to continue that trend of Willans on my cars.

EVOMMM (04-07-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 08:45 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Got an amazing opportunity to see Petra this week. We weren’t scheduled to hit Jordan at all but somehow it worked out. Can’t begin to tell you all how lucky I was to get this bucket list item knocked out and it’s definitely worth the experience.

The following 6 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
damage98MO (06-22-2023), EVOMMM (06-16-2023), golock911 (05-12-2023), wdb (05-12-2023), work_truck (05-12-2023), yaz996 (05-12-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-12-2023, 09:25 AM
work_truck
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 337 Posts

I'll have to come back here to check in on my boy chunk

Old 05-12-2023, 10:00 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by work_truck
I'll have to come back here to check in on my boy chunk

Did you sell already?!!!
Old 06-10-2023, 07:17 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

No updates other than some dumb but necessary upgrades on the VW. Communication with Rod has been spotty but all the other seat components have arrived in Miami. I realized something, the cushion on the XL has a pattern that I didn’t particularly care for and hopefully he’ll address it.

I want a plain cover and hopefully he’ll reach out soon because I’m scheduled to be home next month. Should have it installed the same day I get it. Pete helped me out with the correct item needed for the airbag simulator and getting a harness from EBay to not cut up the factory clock spring harness. The only planned upgrade to the steering wheel set up is a Works Bell QD kit.

My best friend has been taking my car out once and while. The dreaded creak is coming from 3 sides of the car sooooo I need to get a set of coffin arms for the rear now. With all that said I’ll be installing the full GT3 suspension set up the first week of August.

- Ohlins GT3 R&T with Tarett mounts
- 997 GT3 adjustable LCAs(Fronts)
- Demon Speed inner LCAs(Fronts)
- Meyle LCAs(Rear)
- 996.2 OEM GT3 Sways(F&R)
- Tarett drop links(F&R)
- Sway bar bushings

The goal is to be around GT3 suspension spec in regards to ride height. I’ll lower it more once I get the Cargraphic air cup kit next year but for now I’d like to see how she handles the Miami bumps and potholes. Wish me luck because the VW almost made me not want to work on cars ever again.

Finally got the one TE37 touched up and decided to leave them in their factory black finish. Just wished Volk made subdued wheel decals, I don’t mind “loud” colors but I think excessive decals makes a car look like a sponsored NASCAR. There’s a chance a set of Nitto NT01s will make their way onto the TEs in these sizes.

245/40/18
305/35/18

You might be asking why I’d chose to put race tires on a street car? No idea… because racecar?

Lastly, the E88s made it to my buddy’s shop. Still can’t believe it managed to get a set and honestly having the TEs and now E88s have fulfilled my pursuit of grail wheels. The face that was ordered from FVD is a long way away so the last thing I’d like to get is a set of Butzigear center cap adapters. Apparently you can pop in a set of 70mm floating center caps from BBS on that adapter.
The following 4 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
golock911 (06-10-2023), Justin76 (06-11-2023), wdb (06-10-2023), zbomb (06-10-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 09:06 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Welp the E88s have landed at my boy’s shop. Still waiting for the 4th one from FVD but this type of **** makes me happy after being on this floating prison.

Rod got a hold of me and he’s personally working on my seat due to some of the pattern work. He’s out of the shop next week so hopefully I’ll have some pics around that time.
The following 5 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
damage98MO (06-22-2023), EVOMMM (06-16-2023), Justin76 (06-22-2023), yaz996 (06-16-2023), zbomb (06-23-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 03:12 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Welp… it was nice while it lasted. My buddy sent me this.

Justin76 (06-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Chunks slow build... very slow.