Sponsored by:

zbomb's confused 996

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021 | 06:17 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Ford F150

Originally Posted by zbomb
Dealer confirmed, broken valve spring on #4 - this was a known issue (GM knew, I had no idea) with VS's breaking sub 500 miles on these engines, regardless of platform from the middle of last year until DEC build dates... For those engines, GM says to replace ALL springs. The dealer tried to tell me they were going to replace only the broken spring - the rest of my day was spent sowing the seeds of eventual satisfaction - we'll see how it goes. On a silver lining note, parts are available, the damage confined to the spring (supposedly) and I should have the truck back soon. I'll be getting compression and leak down tests and the service Manager confirmed they will cut the filter open and inspect for any debris from the break, he said the spring break was a clean snap so thinking it should be fine but better safe than sorry.

ETA - I said the truck had 270 miles above - that was wrong, 201... 201 flipping miles, of which about 190 were driven by me post delivery

That was the 2nd choice, I like the 6.2 better - or liked... we'll just have to see.

I'm picking up a warranty funded rental tomorrow, it will probably be a complete POS but I don't care... The dealer had no loaners available and the rental places were out of cars, tomorrow was the earliest date I could pick one up - wild.

I drive WAY too much to lease. I do love my German cars though, had a bunch of BMW's including the car I traded in for the truck, an F30 that I put 150K on and paid someone to fix once - the front diff needed to be replaced, it was JAN I think and I didn't want to do it on my back in the unheated garage, I think that engine will run for another 100K. That said, had a couple American trucks and they all treated me well, granted - they were all Ford's...
I’m on my 3rd one. My brother is on his 4 th one. They are pretty good. Now this one a 2019 I bought new, today still under warranty 22,000 miles has had some issues. The steering rack which is an electronic unit was replaced around 12,500 miles. The sync system in center console usb has been fixed twice and it’s acting up again. Every time I need warranty or dealer work
i get a free loaner from Ford. Last time about a month ago they had my truck for 4 days and I had a 500 mile top of the line $80k expedition. Not right now but in July 2019 when I bought my truck with almost a $45k sticker, I paid $28,500 for it. No I don’t buy all the bull**** add Ons. I bought a third stx super crew cab tow package ( just in case) just 2.7 eco boost, but I do have the 36 gallon fuel tank. So sometimes when I fill up it reads over 800 miles to empty. Anyway because of my repetitive problems with the alignment steering rack Ford corporate gave me one more year of warranty and they gave 4 additional the works package ( oil change tire rotations etc free). My dealer because on the last warranty repair they forgot to do the oil change as was in the service ticket just gave another three free services. So right now in total Ford owes me 8 oil change tire rotation services. I’m sitting on this truck for a while. We just completed another short 3 day family vacation 500 mile trip. For those of you that haven’t driven the F150 drive one rwd with the optional 20 inch wheels which I have and the michellins ltx tires. In addition that the truck drives like a car at highway speeds, you’ll get about 80,000 miles on the tires as long as you rotate. All of this doesn’t apply if you need a 4by4 with off road capabilities and need a lifted truck with off road or dual purpose tires, yes and if you need same truck 4x4 you are talking about another 3,500-$4000 higher price . For whatever reason this is why the F150 has been americas #1 selling vehicle for a bunch of years.

Refreshments on Sunday.

Got to love Texas

Lunch was beef fajitas, sausages, homemade flour tortillas and avocado sauce. I was smoking an 8 lb pork butt before the Cowboys game, at my wife’s cousin. yes I’m weird New York Yankees fan , Dallas Cowboys fan, Texas tech fan.

There is a Spanish saying , “el que no llora no mamá”. In Spanglish if you don’t cry 😭 you don’t get to suck the tt.
Old 09-21-2021 | 09:17 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Hey Jason, Let you know the tail lights showed up today and the kid is happy.
The following users liked this post:
zbomb (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021 | 09:26 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
Hey Jason, Let you know the tail lights showed up today and the kid is happy.
AWESOME !!! We had a good run but I'm ecstatic they're with you guys now.

More good news !

GM agreed to repair my truck the right way and do everything I asked of them AND they extended the powertrain warranty to 100K...
TheChunkNorris (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021 | 10:56 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Funny - Not funny. So that new truck I bought, the one I took delivery of Wednesday night.... with that nice new 6.2 LS... ummm yeah - It **** the bed Yesterday and I had to limp it to the nearest dealer. Had the kids with me while the wife was on a weekend trip, had just dropped the dog off at the groomer, 40 minutes from my house... no loaners, no rentals available - What a cluster.

I am willing to bet it broke a valve spring... was definitely running on 7 and when the service advisor cranked it, I could hear it was down compression in at least one hole.

Turns out, this was a common problem for new 6.2's in corvette's and trucks that had just been delivered, with most failing within 300 miles - mine had like 270 or something...

So, tomorrow the dealer will tell me what's wrong... keeping my fingers crossed it's something minor but certainly not expecting it.

Suits me right for being such a big proponent of LS' for reliability and power reasons haha... you can't make this **** up.

It looked good right before it died...

That will end this rant - can't promise there won't be more...

The M96 continues to get the **** beat out of it and keeps asking for more
What a bad one! Wait for the new TT V6 Hybrid Tundra... sounds like it's going to be a monster.
Old 09-24-2021 | 10:35 AM
zbomb
Race Car

John - your lights went pretty fast and looked REAL good 👍 It’s a good thing too, it’s what pretty much everyone on the track saw of the car, until they were out of sight.

And Joel - went with the Chevy cause I didn’t want to have to deal with turbos - I’m going to put a ton of miles on the truck and the newer turbo trucks don’t look like much fun to work on - the GM stuff is really simplified. Yeah, not the most powerful or sexy but it’s a good balance for my plans. That all said, breaking a valve spring at 200 miles was NOT part of the plan.

Last edited by zbomb; 09-24-2021 at 11:37 AM.
TheChunkNorris (10-06-2021)
Old 09-24-2021 | 10:44 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Well done Jason

AWESOME !!! We had a good run but I'm ecstatic they're with you guys now.

More good news !

GM agreed to repair my truck the right way and do everything I asked of them AND they extended the powertrain warranty to 100K...
happy for you. If you don’t cry 😢 you don’t get to suck the tt. You have an idea of how long it be, hopefully they gave you a free loaner.
zbomb (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021 | 10:46 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
happy for you. If you don’t cry 😢 you don’t get to suck the tt. You have an idea of how long it be, hopefully they gave you a free loaner.
A POS free loaner, a 122HP Nissan something I literally have been challenging myself to keep it pinned at WOT as much as I can.

Their telling me I can pickup the truck today.
Old 09-24-2021 | 10:46 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Video??

John - your lights went pretty fast and looked REAL good 👍 It’s a good thing too, it’s what pretty much everyone on the track saw of the car, until they were out of sight.

And Joel - went with the Chevy cause I didn’t want to have to deal with turbos - I’m going to put a ton of miles on the truck and the newer turbo trucks don’t look like much fun to work on - the GM stuff is really simplified. Yeah, but the most powerful or sexy but it’s a good balance for my plans. That all said, breaking a valve spring at 200 miles was NOT part of the plan.
did you uploaded another video? Lately been watching the singer and Gunter werks stuff on you tube.
Old 09-24-2021 | 10:49 AM
zbomb
Race Car

That picture and the last video uploaded of the 1:19’s my last track day.

I like the boutique cars… but I’d rather build my own.

Garage Built by the driver means something to me.
The following 3 users liked this post by zbomb:
JohnCA58 (09-24-2021), plpete84 (09-24-2021), TheChunkNorris (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021 | 09:08 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Have a weekend bros !

The following 4 users liked this post by zbomb:
Derek King (10-07-2021), Martin996rsr (09-25-2021), plpete84 (09-25-2021), TheChunkNorris (09-25-2021)
Old 10-05-2021 | 06:50 PM
zbomb
Race Car

New England weather has absolutely sucked, but New England people.... are my people.

Had an awesome time at the track today with Aaron despite the weather going from slightly damp to pretty dry to raining. A different condition for all 3 sessions and each one kinda sucked. So, no pushing today, managed to put some pretty good times in the 2nd session but other than that, just putting experience in the bank.

Car blew a huge plume of smoke when I started it for the 3rd session, guess I found the limit for how much oil I can run... 12.5 QTS. But other than that, the car ran great and did everything I asked of it. In reflection of the season, the car and how reliable it has become is I think what I am most proud of. It has driven to and from every event... and for the times it runs, its in pretty small company being able to perform as well as it has in both worlds. Keeping the car streetable was a goal for those that have followed along since the beginning. It gets a ton of props at the track for its pace and I hope is a good reflection for our little group of 996 guys that like to use the cars hard.

The guys that I get to run with at the track are so cool... I have made some really good friends because of this car and had so much fun.

I'm likely going to be putting the stock mufflers on as the available days for the balance of the season all have some sound restriction I will not likely pass with the current exhaust. That said, I don't have any more days booked and between banking the money for winter upgrades and getting another day or 2 in with a setup that needs some refreshing to be in peak fighting shape (tires, I'm looking at you) I am not sure what the rest of the season is going to look like. The thought of improving the car over the next off season and seeing as big of an improvement as I did with last winters upgrades is daunting and no 2 ways about it, is going to require $$$.

I suppose at some point in the near future I'll post up kind of what I am thinking for the next phase of upgrades, the first goal being - do no harm.

Anyway... talk about 2 sexy beasts ! I'll have a video up in the next day or so - for now, I'm going to eat dinner

Last edited by zbomb; 10-05-2021 at 07:18 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by zbomb:
Billup (10-06-2021), golock911 (10-06-2021), Jnelso (10-05-2021), JohnCA58 (10-05-2021), Justin76 (10-05-2021), Porschetech3 (10-05-2021), Ratchet1025 (10-11-2021), theprf (10-06-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-05-2021 | 08:55 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

New England weather has absolutely sucked, but New England people.... are my people.

Had an awesome time at the track today with Aaron despite the weather going from slightly damp to pretty dry to raining. A different condition for all 3 sessions and each one kinda sucked. So, no pushing today, managed to put some pretty good times in the 2nd session but other than that, just putting experience in the bank.

Car blew a huge plume of smoke when I started it for the 3rd session, guess I found the limit for how much oil I can run... 12.5 QTS. But other than that, the car ran great and did everything I asked of it. In reflection of the season, the car and how reliable it has become is I think what I am most proud of. It has driven to and from every event... and for the times it runs, its in pretty small company being able to perform as well as it has in both worlds. Keeping the car streetable was a goal for those that have followed along since the beginning. It gets a ton of props at the track for its pace and I hope is a good reflection for our little group of 996 guys that like to use the cars hard.

The guys that I get to run with at the track are so cool... I have made some really good friends because of this car and had so much fun.

I'm likely going to be putting the stock mufflers on as the available days for the balance of the season all have some sound restriction I will not likely pass with the current exhaust. That said, I don't have any more days booked and between banking the money for winter upgrades and getting another day or 2 in with a setup that needs some refreshing to be in peak fighting shape (tires, I'm looking at you) I am not sure what the rest of the season is going to look like. The thought of improving the car over the next off season and seeing as big of an improvement as I did with last winters upgrades is daunting and no 2 ways about it, is going to require $$$.

I suppose at some point in the near future I'll post up kind of what I am thinking for the next phase of upgrades, the first goal being - do no harm.

Anyway... talk about 2 sexy beasts ! I'll have a video up in the next day or so - for now, I'm going to eat dinner

Some how I missed the email getting me off the waitlist today, would have liked to have been there.

My friend JC and I may do one of the palmer days in three weeks and there is Lime rock on 11/20 both Mass Tuning. After less than a year of him buying his Cayman he went and bought a GT4.
Ratchet1025 (10-11-2021)
Old 10-06-2021 | 09:52 AM
Jnelso
Racer

Originally Posted by hbdunn
Some how I missed the email getting me off the waitlist today, would have liked to have been there.

My friend JC and I may do one of the palmer days in three weeks and there is Lime rock on 11/20 both Mass Tuning. After less than a year of him buying his Cayman he went and bought a GT4.
I was on wait list also but did not get notification until yesterday the day of the event which did not give me enough time to get to Thompson.
Ratchet1025 (10-11-2021)
Old 10-06-2021 | 10:24 AM
theprf
Race Car

Originally Posted by hbdunn
Originally Posted by Jnelso
I was on wait list also but did not get notification until yesterday the day of the event which did not give me enough time to get to Thompson.
Honestly you didn't miss much, we had one good session, one damp session that was OK, and one really wet session that I did not even run.
Of course today's weather is beautiful.

The other 996's that were there were another black '01 Turbo and an '03 Turbo cab, both were first time track drivers.
The following 2 users liked this post by theprf:
Jnelso (10-06-2021), Ratchet1025 (10-11-2021)
Old 10-09-2021 | 08:59 PM
zbomb
Race Car

After being lazy, I finally got the video uploaded of the one good session.... it's a long one and no data cluttering it up.

Aarons car looking good.

The following 4 users liked this post by zbomb:
3/98 911 coupe (10-11-2021), Jnelso (10-10-2021), TheChunkNorris (10-10-2021), user 8298308 (10-10-2021)

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996