996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Installation guide of the PCCM Plus

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 10:28 PM
tnj100
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Installed the PCCM+ last Spring and am overall pretty happy. I experience the random trip odometer reset…which…whatever.

but I’ve noticed another odd issue - my dash clock consistently runs 4 minutes behind the PCCM. I reset the clock…it resets itself to T minus 4. It’s like it always wants me to be fashionably late.

anyone else get this one?
Old 03-06-2023, 10:56 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by tnj100
Installed the PCCM+ last Spring and am overall pretty happy. I experience the random trip odometer reset…which…whatever.

but I’ve noticed another odd issue - my dash clock consistently runs 4 minutes behind the PCCM. I reset the clock…it resets itself to T minus 4. It’s like it always wants me to be fashionably late.

anyone else get this one?
If you have a MOST system, your clock is synchronized to the PCCM clock via the CAN Bus. Mine is perfectly synchronized.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:47 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

copied from https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post18671707

Originally Posted by jim010
But if it has no camera option, then its a pass for me and I'll keep my Pioneer that does have it.
Originally Posted by jim010
So looking at the back of this unit, it does not look like a back up camera can be added?
Hi guys

I am looking @ the back of the 996 pccm+, and I want to confirm that the 6-pin upper left hand corner harness is indeed always empty? There is nothing that came with the unit that plugs in there correct? I have circled exactly the harness in question.

the 6 pin is the standard video input for all android radios, including the 997 pccm+ which I have helped + confirm the pin layouts , enabling the 997 reverse camera function to work (with a modified harness) despite it being officially designed to support the oem 955 backup camera.

If the harness is indeed empty, Im guessing that porsche is using the same basic generic circuit board across the 996/997/955 pccm+ (as the rest of the hardware + android OS looks the same).

I'm trying to figure out if
1) the reverse trigger pin is still enabled on the 996 pccm+
2) if the analog video input + video GND pins are still enabled as well.

With the 2 above, backup camera will 100% work (for both auto + manual cars for any year 996).

3) If I can figure if the camera power pin still works too, then even better as the camera power can be directly controlled + supplied by the pccm+

Also, for those who have also went into the android BIOS of the 996 pccm+, is there any settings in there pertaining to a 'reverse camera' or 'reverse input?'

I'm fairly certain it is possible to definitively get to the bottom of this.

TY.

The following users liked this post:
jim010 (03-31-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 05:30 PM
srop816
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by p73rs
Rebooting of the unit itself randomly (occasionally)
Resetting of the onboard computer randomly (frequently)
GPS and RBDS clock sync problem
Random display of turn-by-turn direction without active routing
The problem with the A/C panel illumination
The way PCCM plus turning on/off (possibly a part of the features but never confirmed)

Again, the dealer said I could drive the car and listen to the radio. So, everything is OK according to them.
I know this is an old post, but curious on the PCCM resetting the onboard computer. Did you get this figured out? I'm in the process of installing mine now. I've got a tune on my car. If the computer resets, will I lose my tune?

I've got the post recall PCCM so curious to see if it still has any of these same issues people are reporting.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:44 PM
996-Fan
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question PCCM Loose in Dash

After much research on forums and YouTube, I took the plunge and installed the PCCM+ on my 996 (with Bose and MOST). I tried following the Porsche instructions as best I could but one item is still a mystery and makes me think that I made an error. The old unit nicely clicked into the support frame (to the point where it was even hard to remove). For this installation, I purchased the suggested metal retaining bar (996.552.653.04) and plastic front support Frame (996.552.231.12.01C).

The radio goes into the plastic support frame and then it fits into the plastic guides that are part of the metal retaining bar. However, the radio never clicks into either the front support frame or metal retaining bar. I can easily pull on it and the whole thing comes back out. I don't have any left over parts and see no way to secure the PCCM+ to the plastic support frame. What am I missing?

Plastic guides on metal retaining bar.

Installed unit that is not secured to anything apparently.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:01 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Mine does the same thing. The horseshoe trim holds the unit in place.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:56 PM
996-Fan
AutoX

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Mine does the same thing. The horseshoe trim holds the unit in place.
Thank you for confirming that I am not totally loosing my mind! Mine feels very loose, almost to the point where quickly accelerating would cause it to slip out. I might line those plastic guides with some electrical tape to tighten that connection and create some friction.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:28 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by 996-Fan
Thank you for confirming that I am not totally loosing my mind! Mine feels very loose, almost to the point where quickly accelerating would cause it to slip out. I might line those plastic guides with some electrical tape to tighten that connection and create some friction.
Are you sure that you have the plastic front support Frame mounted correctly to the PCCM frame? If it’s not, it will slide easily out of the dash.

so you need to assemble the PCCM in the original PCM frame the old one locks into but you need to take the frame out the car entirely and drop the PCCM into into it, the radio only, at this point doesn't have the bracket with the shelf installed. Next you need to face the radio down on a table while in the frame and now assembled the brackets with the shelf, the brackets have tabs that are used to lock the radio in place against the frame by sandwiching it between these tabs and the frame for the radio.

For this last bit it’s best to build the shelf but leave the screws slightly loose, the you can on each side push the brackets against the frame tight and tighten the screws. If done correctly the radio holds in the frame with no wiggle at all, more secure than the old spring tabs.

Last edited by mffarrell; 03-13-2023 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:13 PM
996-Fan
AutoX

THANK YOU!!! Your highlights and description finally made the penny drop. I did not do this part correctly. I simply slid the plastic frame over the radio and metal bracket and it was not connected at all. As you can see in the second picture, now the metal tabs are tightly against the radio, holding it in place.

Before - not connected at all.

Overexposed to show the metal tab against the bracket.

After with USB cable coming in from the passenger side of center console.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:31 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

You are welcome! I did the same thing, but finally figured out something was amiss.
Old 03-31-2023, 11:45 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
copied from https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post18671707

Hi guys

I am looking @ the back of the 996 pccm+, and I want to confirm that the 6-pin upper left hand corner harness is indeed always empty? There is nothing that came with the unit that plugs in there correct? I have circled exactly the harness in question.

the 6 pin is the standard video input for all android radios, including the 997 pccm+ which I have helped + confirm the pin layouts , enabling the 997 reverse camera function to work (with a modified harness) despite it being officially designed to support the oem 955 backup camera.

If the harness is indeed empty, Im guessing that porsche is using the same basic generic circuit board across the 996/997/955 pccm+ (as the rest of the hardware + android OS looks the same).

I'm trying to figure out if
1) the reverse trigger pin is still enabled on the 996 pccm+
2) if the analog video input + video GND pins are still enabled as well.

With the 2 above, backup camera will 100% work (for both auto + manual cars for any year 996).

3) If I can figure if the camera power pin still works too, then even better as the camera power can be directly controlled + supplied by the pccm+

Also, for those who have also went into the android BIOS of the 996 pccm+, is there any settings in there pertaining to a 'reverse camera' or 'reverse input?'

I'm fairly certain it is possible to definitively get to the bottom of this.

TY.

wish I could help, but I will be watching very closely. If you make some sort of adapter/hack, count me in as a customer.
G8rJimbo (03-31-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 10:12 PM
B r i a n
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was thinking the same thing, the 997.1 classic radio uses those connectors /locations for the back up camera (as you mention). I plan to install the back up camera this weekend on my 997.1 classic radio.
I would think if you have the cables and connectors from the 997.1 classic radio kit it may also work with the 996 classic radio (why else would the connectors on the back of the unit be there same).
Old 05-09-2023, 07:40 PM
biarritzwhite
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys.
So far I have thoroughly studied many posts of people that have installed a PCCM plus unit in their 996 and I finally got my hands on a unit myself. But now the hick ups are coming and in my case coming big time so that I nearly consider returning the unit and leave it as is. But before I throw in the towel I would appreciate some insight from people that have done this before and maybe have some advice.

The Car:
996.2 Turbo 2001, Analog audio system (klangpaket) with Haes amplifier and originally shipped with CD changer in trunk. Based on my research and existing mounting frame the car was not having a PCM1 but had a Becker CDR-220 installed. The car spent its life for many years in Japan and has there been equipped with a Pioneer avh-x5800 dab (no carplay) which I now want to replace with a PCCM+

The issues:
1. PCCM with tray and Y mount sits loose in the frame and cant seem to be fixed. It also sits not flush at the bottom of the frame. It seems like the distance between the tabs on the Y mount and frame is too big so it never fixates. I would like to avoid buying a new frame since mine is grey and its hard to come by. It has been used on the pioneer unit before and therefore has been "converted" from a 1Din to 2Din by cutting the middle piece and some pieces at the edge. Am I simply not getting how it should hold together (yes I read the post right above by @mffarrell ) or is the opening the PCCM slots in just too wide? Will I deed to fix it another way? More insight @mffarrell

Underside not flush with frame

tabs to far away to press against frame

tabs to far away to press against frame

2. and probably the biggest issue at hand is that the previous installers of the Pioneer unit chopped and spliced the original wiring
What they did do is leave the connectors and parts of the cable assembly of the original Becker CDR 220 in. Am I right in the assumption that I can reverse engineer the cabling by wiring it back to the original layout based on the cables and colours that are still pinned in the connectors? Am I right that I only need the black Iso connector and the yellow connector from the CDR220 for the PCCM?
Helpful for me was already reading this thread PCCM+ install woes and looking at the wiring diagrams shared there. But I`m a novice when it comes to wiring so I rather ask.

Black ISO connector, seems wired like original pin layout except for one chopped cable?

CDR 220 connector. chopped a bit further up but cabling seems to go to original pin position

That for now as a start! All help is much appreciated!
Old 05-11-2023, 08:05 PM
biarritzwhite
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An update from here. To my big surprise I managed to crimp the wiring for the yellow connector back together and the black Iso connector even powers the PCCM+ Horray!

There are two things that I struggle with.
1. I have the Haes amp in the trunk. That means that I have to have the volume setting on AMP correct? Because on CAN i just get a long loud beeping sound.
2. When I switch on Ignition the unit boots up, but while doing so it is popping loudly the speakers twice. Once on start of the boot once right before its done. What can this be related to? I do get sound otherwise without interference but that loud pop makes me mad.
I am waiting for the ground line for the AMP. Is it amplifier related?

Welcoming all input!

Last edited by biarritzwhite; 05-11-2023 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:18 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

Your amp likely has an auto power up that is popping when it gets power.. Or is not timed to wait till the PCCM is on line?
biarritzwhite (05-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Installation guide of the PCCM Plus