Installation guide of the PCCM Plus

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 09:05 PM
Ivanhoe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My issues:
2004 996 Bose
96-642-591-00 Porsche Classic Communication Management Plus (PCCM+) - North America Version Option:: PCCM+ Only
When plugging in an Android phone Samsung s21 Ultra, within seconds, once google Maps loads on the screen, the unit goes black and reboots.
The clock and date are completely wrong, and when adjusted, are slow and innacurate.
Bluetooth remains connected to "PCCM+" long after the ignition is off, after I walked away from the vehicle. Meaning, you walk out of the car, take the key out of ignition, and the Bluetooth phone connection doesn't switch off, it remains connected.
I used to install car stereos in college, and I must say I wish I never replaced the factory unit. This PCCM + is only visually nice, functionality is terrible. Not having HD radio in a $1400 unit is ridiculous. Any help tips updates are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ivanhoe; 10-18-2022 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:34 PM
db984
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Re android phone causing reboot when plugged in - bit of a work around, but also potentially you'd consider it an upgrade - i certainly did. I switched to an AndroidAuto wireless adapter since plugging in was a hassle i didn't want anyway. I give up charging in the car, but i gain not having to fuss with plugging it in. (AAwireless was the adapter i went with) and I haven't had any issues since; except for very occasionally spotify hangs up and i can't control it from the head unit. (and i blame spotify for that, since restarting spotify on the phone resolves it without unpairing or power cycling the head unit). Prior to that, while using it plugged in i didn't experience what you report, but i did encounter the odd reboot while driving. Since the wireless adapter went in its been solid as a rock. I personally suspect usb power draw / negotiating phone charging to be the root of the reboots, but that's just speculation.

"The clock and date are completely wrong, and when adjusted, are slow and innacurate." - I can't help you there at all. I don't have that issue at all.

"Bluetooth remains connected to "PCCM+" long after the ignition is off, after I walked away from the vehicle." - yeah, there's a fix for that -- turn off the "standby" feature in settings. It keeps the head unit powered on for X minutes after turning the ignition off. Turn it off and the phone will unpair within a second or two because the head unit is actually off. Also highly recommend this setting change if you go with a wireless android auto / car play adapter as it causes the same issue.

The following users liked this post:
G8rJimbo (10-18-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 04:32 PM
Mike Blaszczak
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule
Did disconnecting the battery ever fix this for you? I'm having the same problem when trying to install, and I've tried everything it seems (including disconnecting the battery), and it still seems to think my car is moving....
Hey Geckos! It's been a while, but I'm having the same issue -- the unit always says my car is always moving, and navigation and settings features are disabled. (I'm not even able to set the time of day!) I think you made a post that said suddenly everything was fine without you changing anything; were you able to reason out any cause more than that?

Some people here say that a speed signal is coming from the wiring harness, others say that there's a MEMS accelerometer in the head unit. I'm not sure how to track down a fix.

LATER: OMG, I figured it out. I had the four-pin microphone plug in the wrong connector on the back. Setting that right got everything working.

Last edited by Mike Blaszczak; 11-21-2022 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:40 PM
szeater
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I seem to have gotten a very unique issue. Finally got the PCCM Plus, spent way too long installing only to realise... There's a connection on the radio side that's completely missing?

No home for this guy

What it looks like

What it should look like

Everything on the radio works, except the breakout USB box, so back to the seller for a refund/replacement, unless someone else has seen this before?
Old 11-24-2022, 06:37 PM
Mike Blaszczak
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by szeater
so back to the seller for a refund/replacement, unless someone else has seen this before?
That's what I would do. The female connector for that plug should be in the rectangular window where you can see the blue PC board. Either the connector was missing or poorly soldered -- is it rattling around inside the case? Either way, I'd take it back for a replacement.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:30 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_mia
Everything stock. I installed it - after reading everything online determined it was plug and play with MOST 996TT. It really was an easy installation - just the ridiculous "traffic safety" warning. That alert shows when you press settings in the main menu/screen. Also, if you go into the Maps app - and try to enter anything it gives a warning that the car is in motion and you can't do anything.

I debated letting the dealer take a look but when I spoke with service it seemed clear they don't really look at these units. They (gladly) install them - but they are not really something they can troubleshoot. And as we all know, letting a dealer troubleshoot something electronic is $$$$.

At this point it's more frustrating than anything else. Everything works - it's just this warning - and that it seems to think it's in motion (all the time).
I read that this issue may be caused by the 4 pin connector of the microphone that is plugged into the wrong slot sending an erroneous signal to the unit.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:21 PM
Asmig
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

My unit has had the red drive of the LED lighting fail so its green when amber is selected. I went into the extended menus and turned green and blue all the way down and saw that red is barely visible, adjusting it up makes no difference. Factory reset didn't correct the issue, I'm hoping the update might fix it but I suspect its a hardware issue, has anyone else noticed this issue?
Old 12-19-2022, 01:52 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,770 Likes on 903 Posts

Seems like there are some issues that have been popping up and I'm definitely curious if Porsche plans to release any upcoming software updates to the general public. With the miniSD card slot right there is should be a simple process to flash new firmware.

I have installed my PCCM+ recently in my 40AE car. It has Bose and MOST. It was pretty much plug and play but I would like clarification on the yellow squarish plug and where it goes. It seems like it takes up a portion of one of the black sockets but am not sure. My unit has been working but I still need to chase down the following bugs: 1) Unit needs to be manually turned on. Does not turn on and off with ignition. 2) The buttons and ***** do not illuminate despite changing up the color options and 3) The unit can sometimes turn off at random. Not often but has happened a few times. Besides this it has worked fine and the sound quality has been much improved going from my CDR-23.
Old 12-20-2022, 03:56 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

but I would like clarification on the yellow squarish plug and where it goes.

You need that connection to the PCCM. That is your CAN bus which communicates with the instrument cluster to synch the PCCM clock to your system clock. It also provides real-time navigation data to the cluster, so the display will five you a visual turn-by-turn display if you have navigation coded into your cluster.

Attached, is the pin-out for the yellow connector. One of the CAN comfort pins is from the ignition key that controls power to the PCCM. I believe the other CAN comfort pin is used for, clock, gps, lighting and navigation synchronization, and key code in C6 is the security code from the imobilizer to unlock the original CDR23 or PCM, but I am not 100% sure.

Last edited by mffarrell; 12-20-2022 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:43 PM
khyatt
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 18 Posts

So, I did my PCCM+ install in my 03 coupe today and generally found it successful, but not without some issues. The biggest issue is that the USB breakout box on my unit appears to be dead. I can't get my phone (iPhone 14 Pro) to recognize that it's plugged into USB on either the power or phone sockets. It doesn't try and charge, let alone connect for carplay. Has anyone run into an issue where their USB box has been DOA?

Secondly, I had an issue where my car popped the fuse for power windows/central locking. I don't know why it happened, but I replaced the fuse and so far, so good. Anyone else had this issue?

Cheers,
Kyle
Old 01-23-2023, 08:24 AM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by khyatt
So, I did my PCCM+ install in my 03 coupe today and generally found it successful, but not without some issues. The biggest issue is that the USB breakout box on my unit appears to be dead. I can't get my phone (iPhone 14 Pro) to recognize that it's plugged into USB on either the power or phone sockets. It doesn't try and charge, let alone connect for carplay. Has anyone run into an issue where their USB box has been DOA?

Secondly, I had an issue where my car popped the fuse for power windows/central locking. I don't know why it happened, but I replaced the fuse and so far, so good. Anyone else had this issue?

Cheers,
Kyle
My USB box was DOA. Hope you didn't order it from Suncoast Porsche because they have the WORSE customer service. Told me that they had sold thousands of these units so it must be my fault and that I would have to take it to my local Porsche dealer and pay to have them check it. (later that month, the PCCM+ was put on hold by Porsche for other issues). Multimedia Interface is the official name and the part number is G91164551300. I ended up ordering this from Auto Atlanta for $90. I'll never order from Suncoast again, that's for sure.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:31 PM
khyatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G8rJimbo
My USB box was DOA. Hope you didn't order it from Suncoast Porsche because they have the WORSE customer service. Told me that they had sold thousands of these units so it must be my fault and that I would have to take it to my local Porsche dealer and pay to have them check it. (later that month, the PCCM+ was put on hold by Porsche for other issues). Multimedia Interface is the official name and the part number is G91164551300. I ended up ordering this from Auto Atlanta for $90. I'll never order from Suncoast again, that's for sure.
Nope, ordered from Sunset Porsche which is usually pretty good, re: customer service. I asked about getting a replacement USB box separately and they said that there's no stock and no ETA. Did you actually get one from AutoAtlanta?
Old 01-23-2023, 02:58 PM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by khyatt
Nope, ordered from Sunset Porsche which is usually pretty good, re: customer service. I asked about getting a replacement USB box separately and they said that there's no stock and no ETA. Did you actually get one from AutoAtlanta?
This was about 4 months ago and they had it in stock and had it to me in about 2 days.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:03 PM
khyatt
Rennlist Member

Interesting. I may have to go that route if my contacts at Porsche can't help out. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-06-2023, 12:51 PM
Dara
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DFW
Has anyone put the EU version in a US 996? Wondering what makes it an EU version. Km instead of miles?
Anyone know the difference between EU US and Japan Version? Can I install EU version on my North America 996GT2?

Quick Reply: Installation guide of the PCCM Plus