996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The "Ultimate AOS Solution"

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 04:26 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 135 Posts

Norma makes them in a variety of diameters... from 4mm up to 33mm.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:40 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,645 Likes on 2,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
Norma makes them in a variety of diameters... from 4mm up to 33mm.
Yea, I have their catalog but if you look at there site, you have to be a distributor to buy from them and they have no distributors in the US, so I'll have to find a distributor in Europe in order from them..
Old 01-05-2020, 04:41 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
@Porschetech3 I’m pretty sure You can buy it the connectors only directly from Norma. Minimum qty buy may be 1000 pcs.
Not to be confused with the 1700 most popular cap-plugs.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:51 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Not to be confused with the 1700 most popular cap-plugs.
Did you buy that???
Old 01-05-2020, 04:57 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Did you buy that???
No. I've been saving nearly every cap/plug that has come on anything I get. I also worked in a factory that involved truck air-brake systems. There are a whole lot of caps on those air lines (and they were just being thrown out anyway). It's rare that I can't find something to fit any specific need that has come along.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:10 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
No. I've been saving nearly every cap/plug that has come on anything I get. I also worked in a factory that involved truck air-brake systems. There are a whole lot of caps on those air lines (and they were just being thrown out anyway). It's rare that I can't find something to fit any specific need that has come along.
I have a gallon zip lock bag full, but many times I can't find what I need, close but no cigar..
Old 01-05-2020, 05:17 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

I have a gallon zip lock bag full, but many times I can't find what I need, close but no cigar..
That's when you need the "handyman's helper" (duct tape).
Old 01-05-2020, 05:19 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

Yes, there is still water vapor going through there that could freeze in really cold temps due to where it is located, the 986 Boxsters use the exact same AOS but don't need the heater due to the engine is reverse mounted (AOS is in a hotter location)

It's always something isn't it?? lol Did you see the post up above where I posted the Response I found from CARB about AOS mods? From 2018, he said as long as the system is sealed it is exempted under the " Aftermarket Parts Identification Guide" , I think that means it's ok as this still works as designed anyway, only better.
Yea,, I hear ya.. ,, but my reading is that that is for vehicles manufactured 2018 and later,, vehicles made before that its not clear,, In my state currently,, if its OBD2,, we can use a rental cellular tester and all it has to do is pass OBD.. but if I take it to the station they look for cats canisters, all the old stuff and if they don't spot it they may or may not let you by.. (Our stations are state run not garages.. )

At the end of the day the chances that you'll have a 911 expert looking are pretty slim LOL...
Our testers are mostly just average folks who had to take a training class and then boom they are experts..

I got out of testing once because they couldn't figure out why my Detroit locker equipped jeep
kept trying to drive off their dyno.. We finally got rid of the dynos a couple years back. Thank goodness,,
With my true-trac they went sideways and almost put it into the wall of the test station.. Got real exciting for a minute..
Old 01-05-2020, 06:14 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Yea,, I hear ya.. ,, but my reading is that that is for vehicles manufactured 2018 and later,, vehicles made before that its not clear,, In my state currently,, if its OBD2,, we can use a rental cellular tester and all it has to do is pass OBD.. but if I take it to the station they look for cats canisters, all the old stuff and if they don't spot it they may or may not let you by.. (Our stations are state run not garages.. )

At the end of the day the chances that you'll have a 911 expert looking are pretty slim LOL...
Our testers are mostly just average folks who had to take a training class and then boom they are experts..

I got out of testing once because they couldn't figure out why my Detroit locker equipped jeep
kept trying to drive off their dyno.. We finally got rid of the dynos a couple years back. Thank goodness,,
With my true-trac they went sideways and almost put it into the wall of the test station.. Got real exciting for a minute..
No I put the 2018 date on there that the quote was posted in 2018, so unless they changed the "Aftermarket Parts Identification Guide" in the last 2 years it should still be valid.

But that doesn't mean some knuckle head inspector won't give ya grief.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:54 AM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not a very adept DIY guy, but I'm subscribed to this! I applaud that someone with the smarts finally tackled a known issue that's plauged us for decades. Innovation and creativity need to be rewarded. Well done.
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 09:52 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Thankx Bill, I have sent out a couple dozen DIY License , If I have missed anyone , just message me

I appreciate you checking on the access, I'm just not as physically able to crawl around under the cars like I used to !!! I can still do a lot of things, just a LOT slower...lol
Well Skip, as you already know, I had to get my car up sooner than later...

Yes you can reach up from under the car and feel the area that needs to be plugged. TIP, I have no idea.
Also for future AOS replacement, it will be much easier if you pull the bumper, heat shield and muffler, lower the engine to the cross member and you can see the AOS from the wheel well. I wish I new this when I replaced mine last year!
TexSquirrel (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 09:54 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Einsteiger
I'm not a very adept DIY guy, but I'm subscribed to this! I applaud that someone with the smarts finally tackled a known issue that's plauged us for decades. Innovation and creativity need to be rewarded. Well done.
The simplest solutions are sometimes the best. This one is very simple, but it took the brain power of the Porsche Gods to think of it..

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Well Skip, as you already know, I had to get my car up sooner than later...

Yes you can reach up from under the car and feel the area that needs to be plugged. TIP, I have no idea.
Also for future AOS replacement, it will be much easier if you pull the bumper, heat shield and muffler, lower the engine to the cross member and you can see the AOS from the wheel well. I wish I new this when I replaced mine last year!
Thanks for that Bill.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:54 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Ok stage 2 of the Ultimate AOS Solution incorporates an Accumulator with a infra-red level sensor to be wired into the "low coolant warning" circuit to "slow flash" the red light in the instrument cluster warning of either low coolant or AOS service needed.
I have a guy setting up to do the Accumulator on a 3d printer to look factory, it will be about the size of a 4 1/2 inch long 2x4 with the appropriate hose connections and a drain, and of course the Infra-red sensor..Should the AOS system needs to be serviced due to accumulation of moisture/oil or if the AOS regulator is failing the warning will flash.

The following 8 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
9964runner (01-07-2020), az968gpw (01-07-2020), cds72911 (01-07-2020), Einsteiger (01-07-2020), Mike Murphy (01-07-2020), moburki (01-07-2020), peterp (01-07-2020), wkf94025 (01-07-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-07-2020, 07:35 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,500 Likes on 826 Posts

Looks like a promising solution for a long standing problem for these cars. Nice work.

As for the people worried about passing smog with this... unless Jake Raby is doing the smog inspections on 996s in Cali now, there is no way in hell a ref is going to notice (or be able to detect) this part.
Porschetech3 (01-08-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 08:18 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Looks like a promising solution for a long standing problem for these cars. Nice work.

As for the people worried about passing smog with this... unless Jake Raby is doing the smog inspections on 996s in Cali now, there is no way in hell a ref is going to notice (or be able to detect) this part.
Thanks . I wish I could "twitch my nose" and these appear just as I envision. My prototype, while it proves the concept in function. doesn't look all that "Factory".

My goal for the finished product is for it look as though an OEM built it

If the Porsche Gods would now just UPS me a couple hundred of these I would be in business.

Quick Reply: The "Ultimate AOS Solution"