Sponsored by:

The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 01:17 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Photo of the parts from Pelican. A couple of seals for the windage tray, the cam chain guides and the wrong IMS chain. I'll need to get back to Pelican with the right part number. Better to make this mistake now and have time to react.

Did you get your IMS pinned and balanced?

Old 02-21-2020, 01:44 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by jobyt
Did you get your IMS pinned and balanced?
I don't have plans for that. Do you have information that would make me want to rethink this?
Old 02-21-2020, 01:46 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by latonnelier
Lookin' good Billy Ray
Feelin' good Louis!
The following users liked this post:
latonnelier (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 01:52 PM
jobyt
Pro

I don't have plans for that. Do you have information that would make me want to rethink this?
I know that LN does it as the connecting tube/chain cog interface can slip and cause valve timing issues.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:53 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

You can't balance it but you can send it to LN to have the gears heli arced in place after checking shaft runout.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:53 PM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

Received 846 Likes on 344 Posts

From the IMS Retrofit site https://imsretrofit.com/ims-101/

"In addition to ball-bearing failures, the intermediate shaft can suffer other failures including but not limited to slippage of drive sprockets which can lead to valve timing related failures. Again, as a cost saving measure, the sprockets were not secured to the intermediate shaft. The center bearing support stud was manufactured with an o-ring groove cut into it, reducing its cross-sectional thickness to less than the diameter of the threads used to secure the IMS bearing assembly. As such, it is common to have the center bearing support stud break during operation, resulting in a large oil leak, and is often an indicator of a failing or failed IMS bearing."

I had LN do mine. Also upgraded to the IMS Solution at the same time. Took advantage of their Black Friday sale.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:57 PM
jobyt
Pro

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
You can't balance it but you can send it to LN to have the gears heli arced in place after checking shaft runout.
Inarticulate wording on my part. I meant to refer to the original alignment between the front and rear sprockets being out of phase.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:04 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
Feelin' good Louis!
Oh - and I just saw that movie a couple of weeks ago.

Originally Posted by jobyt
I know that LN does it as the connecting tube/chain cog interface can slip and cause valve timing issues.
Yes - I am aware of that service. I am making some serious improvements and consciously opting out of others. There are the "nice to have" items, and then there are the "must have". I figure lots of new parts, refurbished heads, re-lined cylinders and the Solution are on my must have list. There are plenty of things that could be done given a bigger budget. If I were in that position, this engine would be on FSI's wait list. Instead, I bought the DVD set and will build it myself. I am thinking the slipping gears on the IMS is a low risk concern. Hopefully, I am not proven wrong.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:15 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

"I am thinking the slipping gears on the IMS is a low risk concern. Hopefully, I am not proven wrong."

I wouldn't make that assumption. Doing it now (welding or pinning - I would think most machine shops that do automotive stuff would be able to do this accurately and inexpensively - especially compared to an engine failure) while everything is apart is a relatively simple proposition. Do you really want to take a chance after doing all this work?
Old 02-21-2020, 02:21 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
"I am thinking the slipping gears on the IMS is a low risk concern. Hopefully, I am not proven wrong."

I wouldn't make that assumption. Doing it now (welding or pinning - I would think most machine shops that do automotive stuff would be able to do this accurately and inexpensively - especially compared to an engine failure) while everything is apart is a relatively simple proposition. Do you really want to take a chance after doing all this work?
I'll investigate further. It would be interesting to know of any documented cases. And by documented, I mean no other extenuating circumstances. For example; mechanical over-revving the engine.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:24 PM
jobyt
Pro

Yes - I am aware of that service. I am making some serious improvements and consciously opting out of others. There are the "nice to have" items, and then there are the "must have". I figure...the Solution are on my must have list. There are plenty of things that could be done given a bigger budget.
I'd (respectfully) add that for $375, this service is a "must have" with all the other work you're doing.

I am thinking the slipping gears on the IMS is a low risk concern. Hopefully, I am not proven wrong.
Understood.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:14 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto View Post
Feelin' good Louis!
Oh - and I just saw that movie a couple of weeks ago.
Knowing your predilection for older movies, I would have thought you'd get that one.
dporto gets a dozen internet cookies

Re: IMS sprockets -- I'd at least have a good welder tack the smaller sprockets in place.
The following users liked this post:
dporto (02-22-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 03:25 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by latonnelier
Knowing your predilection for older movies, I would have thought you'd get that one.
dporto gets a dozen internet cookies

Re: IMS sprockets -- I'd at least have a good welder tack the smaller sprockets in place.
Sprockets
Yep - you got me on that one.

I'll look into it. I have very few welders that I trust. Might have to send it to northern Michigan.
Are there any known images of where and how much "tack" to apply? Would be good to offer instruction, if I go that way.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:45 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

I know how you feel, luckily I have an uncle who is an aircraft welder--he also builds a lot of experimental aircraft --so I just go to him.
I know there is a pic from Jake somewhere on this forum (along with the 40 million other pics of everything else in the universe) but for the life of me I don't know where it is. Perhaps someone knows but I remember the bead being about 3/8 - 1/2 inch long, and maybe 2 welds on each sprocket. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:52 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 135 Posts

Something like this, one one each side, or more accurately, two welds 180 deg apart.

Last edited by Coopduc; 02-21-2020 at 04:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Coopduc:
latonnelier (02-21-2020), Scott at Team Harco (02-25-2020)

Quick Reply: The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread