996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Build Thread: '99 C2 996 LS1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 09:52 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

They sound great! Can't wait to see that thing go!
Old 02-12-2021, 05:43 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 275 Posts

oh man, that sounds wicked!
Old 02-12-2021, 09:06 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
They sound great! Can't wait to see that thing go!
Originally Posted by e30rapidic
oh man, that sounds wicked!
Thank you gents The sound is growing on me. I kinda wanted something more throaty but this IS a P car after all.

Drove the car for the first time on public roads, felt great, lots of power. Had some tuning issues but I have some help with that now. I'm swapping to a drive by wire (DBW) setup and ditching the cable setup. For this, I had to buy an entire new DBW Terminator X Max engine management system. It's a different harness and ECU altogether. I have a LS3 throttle body on the way as well, so I'll have those for sale if anyone is interested. This should make enough clearance to close the rear deck lid with what I've trimmed out. Later on, I'll mount a wing, but for now I'll just go slick. I designed up a new heat shield for the 180 headers that should protect the oil temps when racing. This isn't needed for regular spirited driving but I want to be prepared for the worst case when I decide to take it to the track. I might end up coating the entire exhaust in ceramic later this year. Power steering works great, can't say enough good things about it and I love the mount I made. Easy peezy. Interior is mostly back together now, just replacing some worn out factory trim pieces here and there, getting all the small things neat and tidy, then it's time to drive. I'll be working on the AC system once it's on the road, should be a piece of cake (famous last words). Eventually I'll want to put in a Porsche PCCM Plus as someone ripped out the stereo that was in the car. I'll probably put in a period correct Blaupunkt for nostalgia reasons until I want to slap down $1400 for the PCCM.

Hoping to find a great deal on some BBS e88s from a Cup car or something as these painted twists make my head hurt. They're just not my style. Also have a 2" H&R lowering kit to put in eventually. Like I've been saying for a while, eventually it'll be metallic green again with updated Panamera headlights from 996Retrofits. More exhaust videos and some drive bys coming soon!
Old 02-13-2021, 08:07 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by gtxracer
Thank you gents The sound is growing on me. I kinda wanted something more throaty but this IS a P car after all.

Drove the car for the first time on public roads, felt great, lots of power. Had some tuning issues but I have some help with that now. I'm swapping to a drive by wire (DBW) setup and ditching the cable setup. For this, I had to buy an entire new DBW Terminator X Max engine management system. It's a different harness and ECU altogether. I have a LS3 throttle body on the way as well, so I'll have those for sale if anyone is interested. This should make enough clearance to close the rear deck lid with what I've trimmed out. Later on, I'll mount a wing, but for now I'll just go slick. I designed up a new heat shield for the 180 headers that should protect the oil temps when racing. This isn't needed for regular spirited driving but I want to be prepared for the worst case when I decide to take it to the track. I might end up coating the entire exhaust in ceramic later this year. Power steering works great, can't say enough good things about it and I love the mount I made. Easy peezy. Interior is mostly back together now, just replacing some worn out factory trim pieces here and there, getting all the small things neat and tidy, then it's time to drive. I'll be working on the AC system once it's on the road, should be a piece of cake (famous last words). Eventually I'll want to put in a Porsche PCCM Plus as someone ripped out the stereo that was in the car. I'll probably put in a period correct Blaupunkt for nostalgia reasons until I want to slap down $1400 for the PCCM.

Hoping to find a great deal on some BBS e88s from a Cup car or something as these painted twists make my head hurt. They're just not my style. Also have a 2" H&R lowering kit to put in eventually. Like I've been saying for a while, eventually it'll be metallic green again with updated Panamera headlights from 996Retrofits. More exhaust videos and some drive bys coming soon!
sounds awesome!!!
Old 02-13-2021, 09:25 AM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

great progress .What is your issue with the cable throttle body?
Old 02-13-2021, 03:13 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel;[url=tel:17229560
17229560[/url]]great progress .What is your issue with the cable throttle body?
With my DBC setup, the throttle body is a little longer than the DBW throttle body. This makes the elbow smash into the deck lid when it closes. There’s no way around it, so I needed to save space. With a DBW throttle body, I can also make a 90 degree elbow off the intake for the throttle body itself so it makes a ton of clearance. This means I could eventually use a 100% unmodified deck lid and have a functional wing again, if I want one. It’s also easier for tuning and idle adjustments. Apples to oranges. I still have DBC on my Jeep which I prefer for that application.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:42 PM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Understand .Please publish a picture when completed .
Old 04-24-2021, 11:52 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

DBW swap complete, 250 miles and counting on the swap. It’s VERY fast! Dyno tune scheduled in a couple weeks.

Last edited by gtxracer; 04-24-2021 at 11:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gtxracer:
escimo (04-25-2021), JohnCA58 (04-25-2021), Mike Murphy (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 07:39 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by gtxracer
DBW swap complete, 250 miles and counting on the swap. It’s VERY fast! Dyno tune scheduled in a couple weeks.

super cool, congrats. Hopefully im not to far behind you with mine getting finished.

enjoy it!!
Old 04-25-2021, 02:53 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,287 Likes on 1,809 Posts

Cool thread - thanks for all the detail.

Hows the serviceability going to be ?

I may have been thinking about an ITB'd, dry sumped LS running Holley or Haltech
The following users liked this post:
JohnCA58 (04-26-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 05:00 PM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Well done .The intake design and execution are great .Be interesting to see the dyno #'s with the 180 exhaust and a smooth intake flow .It's an ls1 with new cam and valve springs ?
Old 04-26-2021, 10:31 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ttt123
super cool, congrats. Hopefully im not to far behind you with mine getting finished.

enjoy it!!
Thanks! Yes, I'm looking for updates from your thread

Originally Posted by zbomb
Cool thread - thanks for all the detail.

Hows the serviceability going to be ?

I may have been thinking about an ITB'd, dry sumped LS running Holley or Haltech
My pleasure, this is a build journal for me as I reference it from time to time too.

Serviceability is great, I changed the plugs in 30 minutes two weeks ago while sitting on a stool. Can't complain there! I also swapped the Fast 92 intake for a ported LS2 intake in about 4 hours without having to remove the engine. Just drop it down an inch to access the bolts and it comes off. The majority of that ime was taking off the water pump and some other misc items that needed done at the same time. I took my time and it was an easy swap. I like the Terminator X but we'll see if it's a long term solution. So far, the quality is there but it IS an aftermarket system.

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel
Well done .The intake design and execution are great .Be interesting to see the dyno #'s with the 180 exhaust and a smooth intake flow .It's an ls1 with new cam and valve springs ?
Thank you! MAT sensor says the intake air is around 110 degrees, so I can live with that. Hoping for 420HP to the wheels. I lost a few HP when I traded the Fast 92 intake for the ported LS2 but I still think this car has tons of power left in it. LS1, 243 heads, Tick SNS Stage 2 Cam, ported LS2 intake, LS3 throttle body and injectors, Melling oil pump, and the 180 headers. Seems to be a good combo.
The following 2 users liked this post by gtxracer:
Trimsarctic996 (04-28-2021), zbomb (04-27-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 03:06 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Car put down 393 rwhp on the dyno a couple weeks ago! I'm very happy with that. What I'm not happy about - a rod knock. This poor little LS1 was consuming oil and I didn't know it. The dipstick was still reading "full" due to an error on the level. I'll get all this wrapped up and have a "new" LS1 on the way. I also have two brand new fans and resistors to toss in as well. Hopefully I'll have a new budget soon for the interior improvements. Looking at a new steering wheel, seats, and GT3 console delete + stereo. I might update the mufflers too, I want to play around with the Borla XR1 series. All of this should make the car a comfy daily driver in the end.

Still want to figure out which converter box to use for 24x to 58x crank signal to run the tach. Any suggestions here?
Mike Murphy (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 04:14 PM
CJ_
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome man. Sure you could throw a new LS in there, or you could pull the old one out and rebuild it into a monster. Just sayin.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:37 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CJ_
Awesome man. Sure you could throw a new LS in there, or you could pull the old one out and rebuild it into a monster. Just sayin.
Thanks! I thought about building a bigger LS, even using an iron block. At the end of the day, this LS1 is tuned, it's within the safe capabilities of the transaxle and, hopefully the fuel system. It's also tame enough to drive daily while powerful enough to slam you into the seat at the end of the day. I think it'll be the perfect car for commute and track days combined. I have some plans for the suspension that require funds too, so the budget wasn't there to drop 15k-25k into another LS + turbo transaxle + fuel system upgrade.
Mike Murphy (05-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Build Thread: '99 C2 996 LS1 Swap