I will check thanks!
The following users liked this post:
gtxracer (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 02:57 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by amargari
Check to see if your LS1 setup uses a TAC Module. It is a box that goes between the factory computer and the DBW pedal. They are specific to the pedal type. I needed one when I put an LS6 in my 73 Camaro.
I don't use anything OEM GM in my setup since it's a Holley Terminator X. Just plug and play.

I've considered selling my LS1 996 if anyone here is interested. I have my eye on a Targa SC, GT4, or maybe a wide body outlaw 964 or SC. This 996 is very fast and fun, but I have a bucket list to whittle down
Old 02-23-2022, 03:15 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

I've put another 500 miles on the car and I really like the way it drives and behaves now. Shifting is actually quite good now after adjusting the linkage and putting in the new ****. The interior has started coming together and I really like the GT3 console delete. It cleans up the center area and allows more leg room which makes cruising much more comfortable.

The Continental stereo is nice but clunky. I bought it from Bergvill F/X and would not recommend anyone buy their Continental stereo from Tore. He demands the customer ship back the deck on your own dime even though this deck is clearly having issues. The bluetooth skips all the time and will stop working at times. I have to hit play on my phone to start the music again about 2-3 min after inital start. Tore's prices are also significantly more than domestic suppliers. I paid about $65 more than I would if I had bought the deck through a US supplier. I wanted to support a Rennlist vendor but it definitely bit me in the long run. Shipping back to Norway is around $70. Not worth it, I'd rather just buy another deck and return this one directly to Continental. Lesson learned, stay domestic for complicated items.

Back to the 996 itself - I replaced the headlight switch and oil pressure sensor. I lubed the telescoping column after breaking loose the spring inside the mechanism as it was a little stuck. These are both normal 996 issues that come up and easy to fix. The oil pressure is always stuck at 5 even with the engine off - how do I troubleshoot this? I used a BNIB OEM replacement sender.

I also replaced the oil pan gasket as it had a small leak. All good now, no issues. I adjusted the throttle pedal inputs in the Holley software and it really changed the driveability of the car at low speeds. Much easier to control the throttle. The more I drive the car, the more I enjoy the exhaust note and the way it accelerates. It really does sound like a Porsche and not a V8.

I plan to keep plugging along at the little stuff. The driver's side power window is slower than the passenger, I want to replace that soon. I have a H&R 2" drop kit with new struts to install too. I think it's time to install the AC compressor and have lines made for summer cruising. I'll also be removing the 2000s era window tint for updated tint. Once all these little mechanical things are done, I'll look at getting the car prepped and painted in original color of rain forest metallic green and refurbishing or replacing the twist wheels. As for the interior, the last things on the list to update are seats and steering wheel. I think I want just a very nice leather or alcantera 3 spoke steering wheel and Recaro or Sparco seats. All in time. Hoping this car is "done" within a year of today and fully finished outlaw 996.

Last edited by gtxracer; 02-23-2022 at 03:49 PM.
Mike Murphy (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 03:17 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

I forgot to post a few updates so here's some backstory to the above post.

New shift **** from Manuel, it's a really nice piece. I cut down the factory shift boot to fit and filed down the shift blade to fit. Feels much better and I really love the look. I installed the Gbox 2nd gear detent which took about 3 hours and had to get crafty with a magnet. No more 2nd gear pop out now. New headlight switch installed but still no low beams. Must be something else. I'll check fuses and relays again. Horn works now, just needed the relay swapped out. I also ordered a Radium Engineering catch can and think I have a place for it in the engine bay near the water pump. The screws for the bumper showed up finally as well as the last trim piece for the HVAC controls. A quick sticky tape phone mount to the left side of the dash helped stash my phone for driving. I mounted the Holley Terminator X 4.5" screen on the GT3 console delete to make it easier to track my oil pressure, CTS, MAT, and other data. I have a new Porsche oil pressure sensor and cowl piece on the way too. The interior has really come together and it only needs a few minor things to be really complete and ready for some miles. New seats, new steering wheel, and finish the subwoofer box is all that really remains. I'll refresh the HIDs that are on my garage shelf with a 3M headlight restoring kit. I also need to install the H&R lowering kit and new struts sometime soon. The sunny days are dwindling here and I'll probably wrap up the difficult work later this winter. My Jeep is also coming back to the house soon and it needs some prep work before KOH.

Interior is on point now, leg room, cup holders, and good tunes.

Last edited by gtxracer; 02-23-2022 at 03:19 PM.
oregondave (06-19-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 03:25 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

A couple pictures of when the weather was nice and the fresh 24k mile LS1 short block that went in with new rod and crank bearings. This LS1 is healthy and pulls hard!

Old 02-23-2022, 03:58 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Here's a few more pics and details I've been working on...

I designed a dual 8" subwoofer box in Solidworks CAD and got busy with my circular saw and sander. None of the planes are orthogonal on this box, no right angles anywhere. Tricky to get right, get straight, and seal, but overall amazing to see it perfectly in place behind the rear seats. Volume is matched to the specs of the Memphis 8" subs. Amp is in the frunk. Yes, this works with the Contintenal head unit via a Kicker line-out converter. The box is nearly finished, just minor hole filling and paint left to do. Sounds really good and I also replaced the dash and rear speakers with Focal and Inifinity Kappas.

Old 02-23-2022, 04:25 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Radium Engineering catch can install. I really like this and it's a must have for LS engines. I'll be putting one on my Jeep. Radium forgot to include the two fittings I ordered but sent replacements right away. Really great engineering and design, I want to put a few more of their products on this car if I can find places for them. I hand made a 304 stainless steel bracket one night while drinking an old fashioned. I routed the catch can drain through the body and down below to make draining easy. I also replaced the spark plugs that night as the original tune was very rich for safety. I can replace all the spark plugs while sitting at the rear of the car. I never have to get under the car or remove anything other than the intake. Another old fashioned helped here too.

I also installed a 2nd gear detent from Gbox. This really cleaned up the 2nd gear shift. I highly recommend this mod. I did it with the transaxle in place but it was a major challenge. They say an hour to do this mod....plan for 3-4. Buy a REALLY strong set of magnets and angled needle nose pliers.

Recently someone asked where the O2 sensor is located...here you go:

Lastly....a cruise up to Alki Beach

The following 2 users liked this post by gtxracer:
oregondave (06-19-2022), TheUnscented (02-26-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 05:46 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 972 Posts

Wow that’s a tight fit but good luck you definitely have the mechanical skills enjoy
gtxracer (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 09:49 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Great job! I love me some Porsche 911 expertise and really appreciate folks doing hard things that not everyone would do. And love me some American V8 to boot!
gtxracer (02-24-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 10:12 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Radium stuff slays... Great build man - your fab skills are really impressive, especially to someone like me who can really only turn a wrench with relative success.
gtxracer (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 06:29 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYPOWR4
Wow that’s a tight fit but good luck you definitely have the mechanical skills enjoy
Thanks! It's tight in areas, but seems easier to work on than a typical 996. Changing plugs is super easy. Even taking off the headers is not bad. Some people complain about these headers but I don't think they've picked up a set of ratcheting wrenches and exhaust studs. I did the oil pan gasket in about 2.5 hours start to finish and taking my time. After all these years of wrenching and fabricating, it seems to have paid off. It's opened many many doors and led to many job opportunities.

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Great job! I love me some Porsche 911 expertise and really appreciate folks doing hard things that not everyone would do. And love me some American V8 to boot!
Thanks Mike. It pulls hard and looks great under the deck lid. Most people appreciate the work that goes into this and the craftmanship so it's great to hear it from Rennlist folks too.

Originally Posted by zbomb
Radium stuff slays... Great build man - your fab skills are really impressive, especially to someone like me who can really only turn a wrench with relative success.
Thank you! I've been following your build too, awesome stuff. I've been fabricating for a long time. Once you start, it can be addicting and you'll make mistakes but it's all part of the fun. Maybe you'll be bending your own cage soon My wife and I bent my Jeep's cage in our condo garage in college with nothing but a tape measure, bender, and some pics I printed. Gotta start somewhere.
JohnCA58 (02-24-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 12:19 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey I'm looking for catch can suggestions for a LS-swapped 996. Recommendations?
Old 03-01-2022, 03:53 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheUnscented;[url=tel:18004131
18004131[/url]]Hey I'm looking for catch can suggestions for a LS-swapped 996. Recommendations?
I used this one in the post above yours, I like it a lot: http://www.radiumauto.com/Universal-...ItemId=1314877
TheUnscented (03-03-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 05:06 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,425 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I installed the GBOX detent in my 996 and it eliminated 2nd gear pop-out.
Right afterwards a friend asked about how difficult it was and I told him, "not too difficult."
Then he asked if I'd install one in his 996 and I told him, "oh hell no!"
It was difficult enough that I didn't want to do it again right away, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I owned a second 996.
I offered to do it in "a couple of weeks"...luckily he never took me up on it. Ha!
Old 05-24-2022, 03:01 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Another 1500 miles on the car and it feels great!

Definitely wanting AC now...so need to figure that out. I have a '99 LS1 Corvette Compressor and bracket, fits well. Need a belt for it, so will have to figure that out.

Looking at wiring diagrams, should be 1 wire. I believe the GM pump looks for an excite signal, other wire is a ground. Excite wire should be 5v PWM if I'm not mistaken. Has anyone who's LS swapped these cars confirm? I believe I have the 996.1 engine bay AC excite wire color code, red/white. I'll track this down int he engine bay.

Then just need to make hoses which shouldn't be too bad since I have all the old hoses. I'll find a shop in the Seattle/Bellevue area hopefully. If anyone has inputs and recommendations, please share! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Build Thread: '99 C2 996 LS1 Swap