Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I bought the cheapest Porsche on Craigslist and the IMS bearing has failed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 10:37 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
Hey, does anyone remember when I said there are some cars out there that have been saved before catastrophic failure, and maybe - just possible this might be a way to go?

Well, uh - no. This one is catastrophic. Do over.

Good luck and keep posting.
I noticed these photos silenced all the IMSB issue is a hoax folks too. I feel pretty bad for the owner / OP but I’m thinking they may be determined enough to make this good.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:59 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
I noticed these photos silenced all the IMSB issue is a hoax folks too. I feel pretty bad for the owner / OP but I’m thinking they may be determined enough to make this good.
Just like the "Russian Hoax"
Old 08-29-2019, 11:25 PM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 381 Posts

Press F to pay respects.

F

Press S to spit on the engineers who designed the IMS bearing

S
Old 08-30-2019, 04:22 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS

"Hype" does not equal "hoax"...reading is fundamental.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:07 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I just went back and re-read this entire thread for the 2nd time. I have zero mechanical experience but find the discussion fascinating. Now that its 100% certain from photos that the IMS bearing suffered failure, isn’t this the perfect opportunity to answer scientifically one argument that was hotly debated within this thread, namely:

If the engine oil filter and bypass valve were good, I see no reason at all to take apart and rebuild the entire motor. On that premise, debris will not have made it to any critical parts of the engine. (unless you started it in arctic subzero temperatures with a broken IMS, and even then you'd only have a few seconds of dirty oil at most, after which the debris is rapidly flushed out).

Has the filter or valve failed? Yes, rebuild, period. But the failure rates on these valves is not nearly as big as some (some that have quite an expensive solution to that 'issue' to sell, mind you, monetary incentive) would want you to believe.

Were the filter and bypass value good?

If yes, please follow up with photos when you do or don’t find that “any debris made it to critical parts of the engine”.

If no, i guess the debate will continue to rage.

Best of luck getting your car back on the road.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:34 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
"Hype" does not equal "hoax"...reading is fundamental.
Hype is very subjective just like Popeye's chicken sandwiches.
The following users liked this post:
por944trs (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 09:46 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Hype is very subjective just like Popeye's chicken sandwiches.
If chick-fil-a sandwich is a base carrera, popeye’s is a turbo s. Its that good. Just my .02, lol
Old 08-30-2019, 09:56 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
I just went back and re-read this entire thread for the 2nd time. I have zero mechanical experience but find the discussion fascinating. Now that its 100% certain from photos that the IMS bearing suffered failure, isn’t this the perfect opportunity to answer scientifically one argument that was hotly debated within this thread, namely:

Well, like a lot of you folks here on Rennlist, I have a shop manual and have spent countless hours looking at Porsche M96 crank case diagrams. Does that make me some kind of engine academic or "engine expert"??? Absolutely not... Far from it!

However, I can't help but think that because of where the intermediate shaft/bearing is located, that when it fails and sheds metal, it will pollute and begin to damage all the vital internal components (crank shaft, pistons, journal bearings, etc.) with abrasive oil. That coupled with a high temperature, high stress environment where there are extremely tight running clearances, will give way to sever damage like what we have seen in some of these images and others that have been posted on this forum.

And so, yes! I would love to see what the filter looks like. I would imagine it will be littered with metal contamination. But that's just my guess.

p.s. now, I want to try the Popeye's chicken sandwich! Why? Cause I always dreamed of owning a Turbo S! lol
Optionman1 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 02:12 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

...I have zero mechanical experience but...
There isn't any debate. Break out the tools. There is absolutely no doubt from those that have seen an engine failure (or many engine failures). This is an Internet keyboard argument that can't be won by speaking in hypotheticals.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:34 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cds72911
There isn't any debate. Break out the tools. There is absolutely no doubt from those that have seen an engine failure (or many engine failures). This is an Internet keyboard argument that can't be won by speaking in hypotheticals.
i'm not sure what your reply is saying? there isn't any debate/there is absolutely no doubt...what? that debris will or won't get into critical areas if filter/bypass hold? i have no axe or opinion on this matter at all, i was just pointing out that certain posts were adamant that debris couldn't get past the filter/bypass while others disagreed. now we potentially have the ability with this particular engine to get an answer to that debated question.

its no longer a hypothetical, we have definitive IMSB failure, now did the debris get to critical parts or didnt it?
Old 08-30-2019, 06:45 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

If the engine oil filter and bypass valve were good, I see no reason at all to take apart and rebuild the entire motor. On that premise, debris will not have made it to any critical parts of the engine. (unless you started it in arctic subzero temperatures with a broken IMS, and even then you'd only have a few seconds of dirty oil at most, after which the debris is rapidly flushed out).

Has the filter or valve failed? Yes, rebuild, period. But the failure rates on these valves is not nearly as big as some (some that have quite an expensive solution to that 'issue' to sell, mind you, monetary incentive) would want you to believe.

Were the filter and bypass value good?

If yes, please follow up with photos when you do or don’t find that “any debris made it to critical parts of the engine”.

If no, i guess the debate will continue to rage.

Best of luck getting your car back on the road.
Who is the beneficiary of these products being sold?
Old 08-30-2019, 06:53 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

808Bill....those aren’t my words, i copied and pasted from an earlier post (boxman, i think).

I’m just curious if we can use this engine to resolve the question once it is examined by the current owner as he rebuilds.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:43 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Well, like a lot of you folks here on Rennlist, I have a shop manual and have spent countless hours looking at Porsche M96 crank case diagrams. Does that make me some kind of engine academic or "engine expert"??? Absolutely not... Far from it!

However, I can't help but think that because of where the intermediate shaft/bearing is located, that when it fails and sheds metal, it will pollute and begin to damage all the vital internal components (crank shaft, pistons, journal bearings, etc.) with abrasive oil.
This is just categorically false. Oil does not flow upstream. It just doesn't. Re-study those diagrams. In principle, all oil that reaches these vital components (crankshaft, pistons, journal bearings) passes the oil filter first. All of it. The only way for debris to make it to the critical components you mention, is when the oil filter or oil filter bypass failed, or when you start the engine in subzero conditions. Sump oil being contaminated does not mean these contaminants made it into the pressurized oil tract.

Stop spreading this misinformation.

I would very much welcome pictures of the critical components if the oil filter + bypass on this engine can be confirmed good. I second Optionman1's motion to settle this with empirical evidence from this engine. Pics of the state of the oil filter and bypass valve (and spring) are critical in this matter, let's hope OP is willing to provide.
The following 2 users liked this post by User 63031:
montauk (09-10-2019), Optionman1 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 07:51 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Old 08-30-2019, 09:09 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

I wasn’t meaning to pick or start any fights, i’m just an observer who is trying to learn. I think very highly of this entire forum and all who contribute. My only complaint is the lack of civility in general. Personal insults and innuendo aren’t necessary, but in the modern internet age its all to common. I doubt if we were all gathered together in person discussing our love/knowledge of Porsches that the discussions would have the same tone.

Now back to the show.....
808Bill (08-30-2019)

Quick Reply: I bought the cheapest Porsche on Craigslist and the IMS bearing has failed.