Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 11:26 AM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT SIXX
Small but potentially important mod here. I replaced my license plate lights. I have driven the car after dark probably 3 times total. It's a cabriolet and usually reserved for nice sunny days. Was out on a date night with the wife and she was getting the mail at the end of the driveway while I pulled it into the garage. She said "you know you can't read your license plate AT ALL right?"

I bought the car last July and checked all tail lights, brake lights, reverse lights, etc - but never realized that some asshat put BLUE LED's in the license plate lights. On top of my smoked license plate cover you literally couldn't make out a single letter 10 feet away! Swapped out with some standard bulbs and checked it last night in the dark. The smoked cover is no problem anymore - you can read every letter from a good safe distance. I don't need to give the local LEO's a mechanical probable cause to pull me over, my foot should be the only thing I need to be concerned about!
I got a ticket in my 997 once because I had a lightly smoked license plate cover. Cop told me they are illegal. I never knew that or bothered to look into it. I feel there was another reason why he pulled me over, but I won’t get into that here. Just saying I don’t think you are in the clear just because it’s visible. Maybe you should double check your local laws to be sure.
The following users liked this post:
Jnelso (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 11:32 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by barbancourt
I got a ticket in my 997 once because I had a lightly smoked license plate cover. Cop told me they are illegal. I never knew that or bothered to look into it. I feel there was another reason why he pulled me over, but I won’t get into that here. Just saying I don’t think you are in the clear just because it’s visible. Maybe you should double check your local laws to be sure.
In Texas you can get a ticket for clear license plate covers.
The law is there can be nothing covering the license plate.
Usually you won't be pulled over and ticketed for just this, but you can.
Just like lots of Porsches driving around Texas without a front license plate...just waiting to get a ticket.
Some people never get one and some people get 2+ per year.
I run a front plate using the Rennline tow hook mount because I'd get pulled over when I REALLY needed to be somewhere on time.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:36 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,869 Likes on 2,205 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Thanks!
My wife prefers the Taco spoiler, or so she said before I bought the new one.
They're so easy to swap out that I might just keep the Taco spoiler and swap it out from time to time like my headlights.
The MAShaw Taco spoiler is definitely better quality underneath deck-wise.
But the carbon fiber wing is excellent, except for a slight bit of clearcoat damage caused by UPS.
The new deck and wing are lighter than the Taco spoiler, which was a little lighter than the factory speed activated spoiler.
​​​​​​Between you and Chunks, I am getting all kind of aero ideas for my seal grey 996. After 19 years, I am finally getting close to making a decision. The good news is that the 996 is aging well with looks. A few period specific aero changes and it looks very modern. Keep posting the picture collection. Love it.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:38 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GC996
​​​​​​Between you and Chunks, I am getting all kind of aero ideas for my seal grey 996. After 19 years, I am finally getting close to making a decision. The good news is that the 996 is aging well with looks. A few period specific aero changes and it looks very modern. Keep posting the picture collection. Love it.
There was a thunderstorm almost right on top of me when I took those pictures.
I'll try to get out later today and get some better pictures.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:43 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

There was a thunderstorm almost right on top of me when I took those pictures.
I'll try to get out later today and get some better pictures.
Fantastic! If I read correctly, you are in que for an FSI rebuild. Which one are you getting? Have you been suffering from bore scoring or is it just an elective enhancement?
Old 06-16-2021, 12:17 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm getting the Track Performer II build with all the options. (4.0l with race-level balancing, upgraded pistons, & custom tuning)
Mine is an elective build.

I used to rebuild race motors and have taken the Knowledge Gruppe's online rebuild class, followed by buying all the necessary tools and Jake's DVD series.
I also bought a Boxster 2.7l motor to practice rebuilding an M96.
I've disassembled and reassembled several times now. (without first having the block Nickied or replacing gaskets or bearings, or doing any significant cleaning)
I know I could rebuild my engine myself.

My plan was to retire in 3 years and then rebuild my engine as a 4.0l.
I'd discussed this several times with my wife and one day when I was out in the garage setting camshaft timing on the Boxster motor, she said, "I'd rather you spend time with me once you retire, and not hundreds of hours rebuilding your engine...can't you just pay someone to do it instead?"
I told her I'd want Jake to do it because he could get even more power out of it, but that he is likely a lot more expensive than other places.(That was a wrong assumption)
We're Facebook friends with Jake, so she said, "He's the one with the little girl that rebuilds engines, right? She's cute."
I figured her knowing Jake and his daughter was a good sign.
So in late 2020, I opened a ticket at Flat6Innovations and checked on the prices.
I got into the December 2020 webinar.
I was amazed that they didn't charge more for their builds.
FSI's prices are extremely reasonable for the amount of work that's involved when you pay attention to all the details like they do. (You can see the detail that Jake goes to in his DVD series)
I know that I could get a rebuild cheaper, but it would not be to the level of detail I'd expect.
I decided that I wanted FSI to build my M96 into a 4.0 monster with lots of lower end torque.
I asked for the latest available build slot for 2022, which now I regret.
I work on a budget and figured it would take a while to be able to budget for the rebuild.
My finances changed during April 2021 and now I have the full costs covered...so now I'm just waiting.
My car will ship to them in July 2022 and will be completed by November 30th.
When it comes back, I'll be 1.5 years from my retirement target.
Hopefully by the time I retire the engine will be broken in and I'll be able to drive it like I stole it.
I'll be the old guy with a huge grin on my face.
When I'm not driving, I'll be spending time with my wife like she wants.

The following 6 users liked this post by TexSquirrel:
Billup (06-16-2021), EVOMMM (06-16-2021), GC996 (06-16-2021), Jnelso (06-16-2021), JP_Gervs (06-19-2021), sasilverbullet (06-16-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-16-2021, 12:24 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 970 Posts

An expensive go cart wheelchair LOL enjoy retirement turn that grey hair dark again!!!
Make sure you hit 77 mph so the fluxcapitor turns back time every day
Mike

Last edited by EVOMMM; 06-16-2021 at 12:26 PM.
TexSquirrel (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 12:26 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

I'm getting the Track Performer II build with all the options. (4.0l with race-level balancing, upgraded pistons, & custom tuning)
Mine is an elective build.

I used to rebuild race motors and have taken the Knowledge Gruppe's online rebuild class, followed by buying all the necessary tools and Jake's DVD series.
I also bought a Boxster 2.7l motor to practice rebuilding an M96.
I've disassembled and reassembled several times now. (without first having the block Nickied or replacing gaskets or bearings, or doing any significant cleaning)
I know I could rebuild my engine myself.

My plan was to retire in 3 years and then rebuild my engine as a 4.0l.
I'd discussed this several times with my wife and one day when I was out in the garage setting camshaft timing on the Boxster motor, she said, "I'd rather you spend time with me once you retire, and not hundreds of hours rebuilding your engine...can't you just pay someone to do it instead?"
I told her I'd want Jake to do it because he could get even more power out of it, but that he is likely a lot more expensive than other places.(That was a wrong assumption)
We're Facebook friends with Jake, so she said, "He's the one with the little girl that rebuilds engines, right? She's cute."
I figured her knowing Jake and his daughter was a good sign.
So in late 2020, I opened a ticket at Flat6Innovations and checked on the prices.
I got into the December 2020 webinar.
I was amazed that they didn't charge more for their builds.
FSI's prices are extremely reasonable for the amount of work that's involved when you pay attention to all the details like they do. (You can see the detail that Jake goes to in his DVD series)
I know that I could get a rebuild cheaper, but it would not be to the level of detail I'd expect.
I decided that I wanted FSI to build my M96 into a 4.0 monster with lots of lower end torque.
I asked for the latest available build slot for 2022, which now I regret.
I work on a budget and figured it would take a while to be able to budget for the rebuild.
My finances changed during April 2021 and now I have the full costs covered...so now I'm just waiting.
My car will ship to them in July 2022 and will be completed by November 30th.
When it comes back, I'll be 1.5 years from my retirement target.
Hopefully by the time I retire the engine will be broken in and I'll be able to drive it like I stole it.
I'll be the old guy with a huge grin on my face.
When I'm not driving, I'll be spending time with my wife like she wants.
Great story! Good to see your wife is onboard. A Top quality rebuild makes all the sense in the world, especially if you are going to keep the car far in the future. I will be doing the same over the next few years. Engine is in very good shape. Project now is to identify whats new or already been built but not readily available regarding oil cooling and oil pressure/starvation bolt-ons, to keep it that way until it's time to do an elective rebuild in the next couple of years. It's more fun than any 56 year is allowed to have.
EVOMMM (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 12:27 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYPOWR4
An expensive go cart wheelchair LOL enjoy retirement turn that grey hair dark again!!!
Mike
I have no hair on top of my head.
But my beard has lots of grey in it.
sasilverbullet (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 12:32 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 749 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by barbancourt
This is a little bit different, but in NJ I see a lot of cars that have sprayed what I assume is "Photo Blocker" spray on the license -- the plate looks fine in normal light, but the numbers/letters are obscured by the flash on speed cameras or when you are behind them with the headlights on. You'd think they'd get pulled over like crazy because it's so obvious when you drive behind them at night, but I've never seen or heard of it happening.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:35 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996

Ill have an areokit 2 wing and a drivers side skirt soon.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:56 PM
rino924
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Debating putting together a suspension and brake refresh on my car. It's a 2001 with 78k miles on it now. I assume everything is starting to get a little tired. This isn't going to be too cheap
Old 06-16-2021, 04:37 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Ill have an areokit 2 wing and a drivers side skirt soon.
Let me know. Love to talk to you about it. Seal grey in color?
Old 06-16-2021, 05:15 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@GC996, Here are some better pictures of my GT3 style deck with GT3RS carbon fiber wing...to tempt you.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:50 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

@GC996, Here are some better pictures of my GT3 style deck with GT3RS carbon fiber wing...to tempt you.

Damn it looks good...

I set mine up years ago to look "stealth" from the outside but if you looked close at it, you will see the rollbar, GT3 seats, racing harness, big brake kit, exhaust, suspension etc. In essence, to attract very little attention with a grey car around town. It's a streetable track car without aero.

But, you, Chunks and Zbomb keep showing the aero eye candy. Waiting to see Chunks RPM Technik Duck Tail on his grey car. I may need to do the same as you and have 3 different lids depending on my objective for the week. Reading RL seems to facilitate spending money.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?