Sponsored by:

500hp+ 993 Club? Owners please come in.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pstoppani
For cooling, it has two additional oil coolers and a transmission cooler (including internal oil squirters).
Cool you aren't messing around. Pics or details?

I need to add another oil cooler to mine and a trans cooler would be a nice upgrade at the same time. Which LSD are you using?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pstoppani
It's a loaner engine... My 3.8L is still to come.
ahh, the fvd 550?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuner1

I need to add another oil cooler to mine and a trans cooler would be a nice upgrade at the same time. Which LSD are you using?
I use two 993 oil coolers and have *zero* oil temp issues. For an LSD don't waste your time and get a guard with 50/80 lockup
Old 10-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spartan
I use two 993 oil coolers and have *zero* oil temp issues. For an LSD don't waste your time and get a guard with 50/80 lockup
That is exactly my plan....another factory cooler up front. Does your temp needle ever climb north of 9 o'clock?

I know the Guard units well because I had them in my last two Porsches. They work very. My Quaife LSD is amazing at putting down a lot of power in a smooth and controlled fashion but it leaves a bit to be desired under hard braking. This never an issue on the street but at 10/10th going for broke on the track a Guard would be nicer.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:19 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One oil cooler is the standard "S" upgrade and the other is a off the shelf unit, custom fitted to the passenger side of the front inlet openings.

The LSD is stock with the Porsche RS plates upgrade.

Trans cooler is the Porsche internal oil squirter bar, with an external electric pump, and a heat exchanger with fan in the driver-side rear fender (the Porsche mechanical internal pump was just too expensive).

I had the trans rebuilt and upgraded by California Motorsports with a goal of handling 550 lb/ft of torque and heavy track use.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:28 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

I don't disagree that a sealed shroud would be a nice idea but the large I/C is very close to my wing so it would be difficult to contruct, plus I have yet to see elevated IATs so the I/C seems to be doing fine sans a shroud
Thanks, that's what I was interested in....
Old 10-01-2009, 06:01 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

I have yet to see elevated IATs so the I/C seems to be doing fine sans a shroud
You see this is why the "detail" is important - you are now making statements about other things based upon an analogue gauge which may or may not be giving you actual IATs as seen by the ECU

Shrouding is of course very important, less so with the Secan since it is so efficient that it could maintain ambient +20DegC regardless,

Here is a wing on Secan - looks like a fair attempt has been made to direct the airflow:
Old 10-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

... you are now making statements about other things based upon an analogue gauge which may or may not be giving you actual IATs as seen by the ECU
TB993tt, my IAT gauge is accurate and will remain so until proven otherwise.

Powered by digital microprocessor-controlled, rugged stepper motor drives & laboratory grade sending units, Full Sweep Electric Gauges are the BEST gauges available. They combine Extreme Durability & Readability of 270 degree sweep mechanical gauges w/ the Easy Installation & Safe Operation of short sweep electrics. Track Tested & Race Proven, these units use precision senders to keep hazardous fluids out of the driver compartment, and perform gauge calibration and sensor diagnostics at power up for Extreme Accuracy, every time.

Shrouding is of course very important, less so with the Secan since it is so efficient that it could maintain ambient +20DegC regardless
Of course this is the only intercooler in the world that can do a good job of keeping the IAT down on an air-cooled Porsche
My intercooler kept the IAT below 100F (or less than +20F above ambient) for mutiple laps of a race track, even after numerous WOT run to 160mph and lots of WOT at lower speeds (less airflow over the IC).

Here is a wing on Secan - looks like a fair attempt has been made to direct the airflow:
Are we looking at the same picture? Where and how did they seal the wing to the intercooler? All I see are some dark areas on the left and right sides of the wing. Perhaps you are looking at a larger size of this image?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I take your automotive quality gauge:

Powered by digital microprocessor-controlled, rugged stepper motor drives & laboratory grade sending units, Full Sweep Electric Gauges are the BEST gauges available. They combine Extreme Durability & Readability of 270 degree sweep mechanical gauges w/ the Easy Installation & Safe Operation of short sweep electrics. Track Tested & Race Proven, these units use precision senders to keep hazardous fluids out of the driver compartment, and perform gauge calibration and sensor diagnostics at power up for Extreme Accuracy, every time.

And raise you one made for aviation:

+/- 1% it may be but it does not react as fast as the the sensor the ECU reads, it can miss the peak IAT by 10DegC....

I'm just trying to persuade you to "be bothered" enough to plug in your fancy dash and read real IAT, I am interested

See what you mean about the Secan sealing, the racers didn't seem to bother and I don't think there was a factory (motorsport) shroud solution available and as I said before not necessary for that amazing piece of kit - for all other tho' shrouding is the way to go IMO
Old 10-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I'm just trying to persuade you to "be bothered" enough to plug in your fancy dash and read real IAT, I am interested
Sure, I will put it on my winter list of things to do and report back in the spring.

+/- 1% it may be but it does not react as fast as the the sensor the ECU reads, it can miss the peak IAT by 10DegC....
Even if my sensor missed the peak IAT by 10C it still means that my IATs are low and very safe

Tell me more about the (Bosch?) sensor that measures the IAT for your Motronic DME (Hammer readings). Where is it located? I hope it is more accurate than the original narrowband O2 sensor that feeds the Lamda signal to the DME

Let's sign off on the IAT discussion until new data can be brought to the table

What suspension package does your blue beast use to harness all that power and torque?

Last edited by Tuner1; 10-01-2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: 1
Old 10-01-2009, 11:40 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's sign off on the IAT discussion until new data can be brought to the table ?

What suspension package does your blue beast use to harness all that power and torque?
I have the Euro Turbo S kit which was developed by Weissach and fiitted to the 450PS Euro Turbo S, It was available as a retro fit for $12000 - I got hold of a kit for considerably less

The kit was very comprehensive - if you can make out the parts below:

The shocks were way too stiff and were replaced by PSS9 and the top mounts are currently FVD solid billet units.....

BBS race 9X18 fronts with 225/40
BBS race 11X18 rears with 285/30

The car handles pretty uniquely for a 993tt, the road tester agreed:
Old 10-01-2009, 01:45 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can you please post info on the IAT sensor? I would like to install one in my car. I've got a DashDAQ data logger connected to several other sensors, but I'm currently only use the OBD2/Factory IAT readings and would like a better (accurate and responsive) sensor.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:32 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is this the correct IAT sensor?

http://www.race-technology.com/air_t...ure_8_975.html
Old 10-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Al and other big power guys. What clutch combos are you using?

TB993tt, what clutch do you use to hold all that torque?
Tilton triple plate setup...but I roasted it in 2,800 miles from NC to Tx on her maiden voyage.

But i'm just a bastardized 930 with a hot rodded 964 block with some Andial P&C's and Protomotive IC and some other fun stuff built to a 3.8tt that sounds like an F1 motor.

We're retuning the motor with MOTEC so we can get gear dependant boost and actually get traction. 634rwhp at 1 bar and over 850 at 1.6 bar.

At 1.3 bar we're roasting the massive 15" wide rear tires even at triple digit speeds. We're hoping to pick up some more power up top with ITBs and better cooling using a flat fan setup like the 935's used.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Guns951

You must have gotten bored by now to hear praise about your car, it is outrageous!

Do you have already any acceleration data for your lightweight 3.8 monster? We all have a similar engine and I can hardly break traction at 60mph with my 315s. Protomotive forgot a couple of hundred HP there strapped on his engine dyno

Quick Reply: 500hp+ 993 Club? Owners please come in.