Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

500hp+ 993 Club? Owners please come in.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 500hp+ 993 Club? Owners please come in.

Who has a 993 turbo with lots of power?

Mine is a ’96 converted to 2wd with a MODE-built 3.8L that makes 620hp @ 1.0Bar and 725hp @ 1.3Bar (race gas only) at the crank....and up to 800hp for short blasts. I will try to borrow a GPS-based timer to get a 60-130mph time so I can compare it to the other fast times

The engine is very ‘custom’ and has MODE headers, MODE individual throttle bodies, a MODE billet intercooler, Garrett turbos, Pectel EMS, and a bunch more stuff. Of course I could go on and on but I don’t want to bore you

Let’s hear from others that have similar cars!

Post your specs and pics.

Last edited by Tuner1; 09-16-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: detail
Old 09-08-2009, 01:11 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine doesnt compare but I would like to see more images!!

I am a bit surprised to see a Pectel ECU used here on a production car, very cool indeed!! An SQ6 possibly?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Mine doesnt compare but I would like to see more images!!

I am a bit surprised to see a Pectel ECU used here on a production car, very cool indeed!! An SQ6 possibly?
I will find a few more pics for you

It is a Pectel T6 ECU.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:30 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just took a look at the MODE web site, looks good and it appears they have an engine dyno.

Can you post the torque curves for the motor with low and high boost?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

MODE is a very serious company that is not well known to the general public but they design and build many Porsche race parts, among other things. It is my understanding that they no longer do large customer car build-ups.

Did someone say dyno I will see about getting some #s for you. My engine doesn't make huge mid-range torque but it is designed to pull to 7800rpm.

Enough about my car! Where are all the other big power 993TTs hiding???

Last edited by Tuner1; 09-08-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-08-2009, 05:00 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you have the engine built or did you buy it? Wondering how involved you were in the development.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your car. Let us know how you do on the 60-130 mph.
Bob Holcomb (MODE) has been around a long time building big hp turbos. The problem in some states like California is the emission control regulations that have put a damper on high horsepower street driven cars. With my Thielert ecu I pulled 630 hp on the engine dyno at 1.0 Bar. I have to dial back to 570 to pass smog and thats with a hydraulic cam.
What other changes to the car have you made to handle the big horsepower?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:41 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I have been unable to do a 60-130 with the appropriate instrumentation, so anything I say is conjecture.
But my motor's purt near the same as Jimmy's.
Mine smogs fine. (All I have to do is disconnect the lower spark plug bank using the supplied buttons and plug in a stockish ecu.)
So "fine" is a relative term.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJayB
Bob Holcomb (MODE) has been around a long time building big hp turbos. The problem in some states like California is the emission control regulations that have put a damper on high horsepower street driven cars. With my Thielert ecu I pulled 630 hp on the engine dyno at 1.0 Bar. I have to dial back to 570 to pass smog and thats with a hydraulic cam.
What other changes to the car have you made to handle the big horsepower?
Yes Mr Holcombe has been doing this for a long time and I really like the work that he and the MODE guys do.

LAT, after paying 100% out-of-pocket to modify (from stock) the last twenty two cars that I owned previously I was fortunate enough to buy this 993 with many of the power-related mods already in place

JJayB and ScottMellor, your Andial 3.8 cars are very impressive. I have read that the Andial package has a very broad power band and if you are also able to make over 600hp on pump gas with hyd lifters and cat converters...wow!

Do your cars still use the original headers/heat exchangers?
What clutch kit does Andial specs to hold all that torque being distributed through all four wheels?

I would love to hear more about the Andial conversion.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:31 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Actually we have to use pure race gas for the higher power settings, and I mix race gas with the onion water we get in Socal the rest of the time.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
Actually we have to use pure race gas for the higher power settings, and I mix race gas with the onion water we get in Socal the rest of the time.
I know the Cali gas is **** poor. What boost/power level can you run on pure 91 octane?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:19 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tuner1
LAT, after paying 100% out-of-pocket to modify (from stock) the last twenty two cars that I owned previously I was fortunate enough to buy this 993 with many of the power-related mods already in place
Understood, I did the same with this 993TT and had to work at getting the information from the tuner in Germany.

Here are my dyno charts, big torque at the bottom in exchange for less HP at the top, overall a very street friendly car to drive.
Attached Images   
Old 09-10-2009, 01:03 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tuner1
Yes Mr Holcombe has been doing this for a long time and I really like the work that he and the MODE guys do.

JJayB and ScottMellor, your Andial 3.8 cars are very impressive. I have read that the Andial package has a very broad power band and if you are also able to make over 600hp on pump gas with hyd lifters and cat converters...wow!

Do your cars still use the original headers/heat exchangers?
What clutch kit does Andial specs to hold all that torque being distributed through all four wheels?

I would love to hear more about the Andial conversion.
As Scott said we need 100 octane unleaded to get over 600hp.

You asked the 64K question as to the clutch. The RSR disc and GT2 pressure plate is only good for 525 lbs ft of torque. I have a ClutchMasters modified pressue plate and it works great. In fact this is the set up that a MODE customer turned me on to on a car they built back in the 90s' after he went through three clutches.

We have the origional headers and to be honest your not going to pick up much hp unless it's a full race configuration on the headers.

At 800 Nm of torque, you're pushing some of the drive line components. The good news is Porsche raced these cars and for every weakness there is a factory motorsport part.
Jimmy
Old 09-10-2009, 01:26 AM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LAT
Understood, I did the same with this 993TT and had to work at getting the information from the tuner in Germany.

Here are my dyno charts, big torque at the bottom in exchange for less HP at the top, overall a very street friendly car to drive.
Very nice power curve and I believe the car is a blast to drive on the street. Is this output on Euro 98 or 100 RON or North American fuel? Are you still 4WD? Do you have any details on the engine and clutch specs?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:32 AM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

I lowered the Club entrance requirement to 550hp I figure that anything over the RUF Turbo R spec (maybe 500+ real HP) makes for a very powerful and special 993TT. Not that I am taking anything away from the RUF car!

As Scott said we need 100 octane unleaded to get over 600hp.
Fair enough. What power and boost level have you found to be safe on Cali 91 octane? Does the Thielert ECU have knock sensing?

You asked the 64K question as to the clutch. The RSR disc and GT2 pressure plate is only good for 525 lbs ft of torque. I have a ClutchMasters modified pressue plate and it works great. In fact this is the set up that a MODE customer turned me on to on a car they built back in the 90s' after he went through three clutches.
Isn't that a small world! Do you know who this MODE customer was or what car he had? So you are running the RSR disc (is this a full-faced unit or segmented?) with a Clutchmasters modified 993TT pressure plate?

We have the origional headers and to be honest your not going to pick up much hp unless it's a full race configuration on the headers.
I agree. What turbos are bolted to your factory headers? I don't know much about the Andial 3.8L "package".

At 800 Nm of torque, you're pushing some of the drive line components. The good news is Porsche raced these cars and for every weakness there is a factory motorsport part.
No doubt My car will likely break the tires loose before the driveline breaks! Fingers crossed...

Quick Reply: 500hp+ 993 Club? Owners please come in.