Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF! Fuel pouring from my exhaust!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 08:52 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WTF! Fuel pouring from my exhaust!!

This is the last time I go and wash out the engine compartment with mild degreaser and water!!

Went on a drive to dry the engine compartment with no problem, but when I shut her off I could still hear the gas pump on even tho keys were in my pocket.

Pump would go on and off, thought this glitch would disapper..but my wife comes in screaming that there's fumes everywhere in the garage, fuel all over the floor and leaking from around the right side turbo. I could also hear a burbling, like fuel rushing when I put my ear into the air cleaner neck. Now, there's gas leaking out my left side exhaust! Think a few injectors on the right side are stuck on?? How do I unstick them?? I've never seen gas guzzlling out the exhaust!! My car is sick! Can anybody help??

Jaime
Old 08-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Sounds like a stuck injector. Pull your negative/ground cable off your battery. You don't want a spark, and you don't want to hydralock your engine and bend a rod. Turn the crankshaft very slowly. You will have to drop the oil out of your engine case.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:06 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, Kevin. After my heart stopped pounding I was able to do some thinking and it does appear to be a stuck injector. I undid the positive terminal of the battery. Is this equally effective, or does it have to be the negative one??

To drain the case....you mean just undo the oil filter under the engine, or does this mean also the oil reservoir ahead of the rear right tire?

Thanks! Jaime
Old 08-10-2006, 02:23 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

In a emergency disconnect the negative cable.

Remove the drain plug, to drain the oil out of the case.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:53 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The reason for disconnecting the negative first and reconnecting it last is this: short circuits. When undoing the negative terminal if you strike a part of the car with the tool you're not going to get a spark because you're touching ground to ground. However, if you undo the positive terminal first and touch one end of the tool to the car while the other end is on the terminal you'll be connecting 12v to ground. You will then get a big spark or three and may have created a 12v arc welder. If you're really unlucky the tool will fuse itself to the car and the very high current flow through the battery will cause it to overheat and blow up. While you're very close to it. This is generally considered to be a bad thing.

Undo the negative cable first and reconnect it last.

If you get spilled gas in an enclosed area it's very important to ventilate the area. Open the doors but don't use the electric garage door opener or the light switch. Gas vapour is heavier than air so creeps along the ground and rather quickly at that because gasoline is quite volatile. If your gas hot water heater has an open pilot light this is another reason to ventilate and to keep interconnecting doors closed.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:59 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Car DID hydrolocked! Had to remove all spark plugs, drained all oil and allowed to dry out. Poured in some fresh mobile-1 and spun the engine to get lubrication throughout. Pulled the fuse on the gas pump and disconnected hot wire to the coil prior to this.

Now, to the problem: I discovered the connector to the #6 fuel injector is hot/alive even tho ignition is off!! Pushing and pulling the connector makes the injector click off and on. The other 5 are dead as it should be. But, when I connect the #6 injector all 5 other injectors become alive with electricity, but does not seem to be enough to turn their respective injector off and on. When the #6 connector is pulled off, the fuel pump stops working. When the connector is connected, it calls on the fuel pump to continue pumping-all this while ignition is off! I don't think this behavior is normal.....is it??

So, I looked for the relay that governs the fuel injection.....anybody knows where it's located? Seems it's obviously a short somewhere, anybody know where to start? Where is the relay for the injectors??

Jaime
Old 08-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The injectors wiring is run directly to your ECU?

Do you have a harness short?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:21 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Hi Kevin. Good to know! So, It's possible Ihave a short in the harness somewhere. Let me ask you this: When the ignition is OFF.......there should be NO electricity to the injectors......is this correct?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:16 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Isolated the problem to the wire harness that goes from the left side inner fender relay box to the injectors. In this box is a connector which I can disconnect to check for live wires. When disconnected the wire to the dme is dead, but the wire to the injector is live. There's gotta be a short in the harness from the box to the injector.

Will do some surgery tomorrow to fix this. Not healthy when a brown/color wire is seeing 12V when it should be ground!

Jaime
Old 08-12-2006, 02:36 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll bet you'd like to have a baseball bat and the guy that wired your car!
Old 08-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaime,

Glad to see that you have isolated the problem (I hope)... I always learn something readying your post, Kevn's and many other on the TT board... thanks. Good Luck.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:58 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Since this all started after you washed your engine compartment, I think I would start my search for the short back there. I also think it's possible that after it all dries out your short may dissappear.....
Old 08-13-2006, 02:46 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

JR Gorndon, Yeah, I know this is the case and so cause-effect related. Even if the harness dries on the inside, it points to a problem spot that I will fix so it never happens again.

Tony, thanks for the encouraging words. I hope to help anyone whom may have similar problems when they do a search. But, I'm not in the same league as kevin and some others with great fund of knowledge, just a guy whom likes to get hands dirty and solving problems.

ps. If I bent a rod......Well, I'll just do a set of Carillos!! :-)
Old 08-14-2006, 03:51 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Default Update and Pathology report

Path Report: You can see from the photo the wires have fractured probably due to heat and vibration. You can see a large red wire with a chip that easily flaked off as I dissected it. This wire is alway hot/alive. Immediately under is our boy Mr. brown/blue(bastard kept my #6 injector working around the clock) which sports crosslines which are infact open plastic with wires exposed. Infact, at this bend all the cross hair/ vertical black lines are wire rubber fractures exposing the inner wire.

So, I washed my engine.......water penetrated into the harness, got to the bend as pictured, created a nice electrolyte "soup", exposing the alive wire to any open wounds in adjacent wires........#6 injector got hot/alive due to it's proximity.......continued to squirt gas into #6 combustion chamber.......overfload and spilled gas into both intake and exhaust valves.........gallons of gas into the crankase, mixing with oil.........at least 2 gallons into the exhaust manifold and out the exhaust..........hydrolocked my engine, and now I probably have F_cked up turbo's to boot!!! (Kevin, can you cut me a break??).....took off the spark plugs.......placed my engine under continuous air from a fan......tomorrow I try to get it running. Oh, I hope I have a nice day

Last edited by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD; 12-11-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:09 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A fistula? Kidding

Quick Reply: WTF! Fuel pouring from my exhaust!!