Sponsored by:

WTF! Fuel pouring from my exhaust!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 02:10 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Tony,

You'll have to ask PCNA to explain their pricing. I'm sure they will happy to share that.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:13 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Tony,

You'll have to ask PCNA to explain their pricing. I'm sure they will happy to share that.
Will this draw a white flag if they start getting a bunch of orders? It would make sense to get it so I will have it if I ever need it? I feel stupid asking this but it just seems too wired. Thanks for the number.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:37 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys. Yes, it's nuts! Jeff at Sunset Porsche did a double take when he was reading/cross referencing some part numbers I was reading out for him. One part number actually was a "kit", which happened to have the harness and for much less!! So, even he didn't know if it was going to be a good porsche number, but went ahead and ordered it from Germany......Well, I received the box along with the German octipus of wires!

Hmm, I got the "kit" for about 180 bucks......where did you see the kit for 90 bucks??

Jaime

ps. Jeff and I tried to reason this Kit strategy and only explanation is Porsche might have been able to charge themselves less money as a Kit than to charge themselves 700 bucks a pop. Must be creative record keeping/accounting I guess.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:29 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm betting that they had some liability issues that resulted in the recall where they installed new harnesses in some of our cars. The kit was probably part of the recall and was priced right to encourage dealers to get them installed. I ran into this on another car where the seatbelts were involved.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:27 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

For what's it worth UK price is £82.07 including VAT. Reading has them in stock.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:38 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Update:

Well, it's taking me about 3.5hrs to take off the old harness. Still have to take off two hard to get connectors behind the Idle control valve. Getting it off seems easy.....especially when you employ a pair of gorilla dikes to cut off chunks of harness and end connectors which yield a smooth, non snagging ends. I plan on using one of those flexible rods with spring loaded ends to snag the new connectors thru the engine and snake it thru by pulling thru the old routes. Don"t see too much of a problem.

I noted I'm missing one of those little metal studs on a connector (the type that can be pushed into the molex connector after opening the plastic cover). Seems the 964 did'nt have this hole active, so the PO just spliced it, bypassing the harness. Too mickey-mouse for me.

Anybody have a spare "junk" harness of any type employing a stud. You can just open the plastic back cover and you will see many studs with different color wires These slide right out. Dont matter what color so long as its soldered to wire and with 2inches of wire so I can work with. The old harness has all female ends, so won't work. Willing to pay.

ps. if you can do this and do have a green/black wire.....I'd take that.

thnks, Jaime
Old 09-13-2006, 01:48 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Jamie,

My old harness is out at the shop laying on the floor. I want it to take it to the local Porsche dealer and see what the part number is, and why didn't rufus qualify for a new harness. The mechanic asked for the harnes when I'm done to save the connectors. But if one of these connectors can be useful to you, you got it. You'll just have to describe which one in detail, and send me your address. ca993twin@yahoo.com.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:24 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Hi Steve. Thank you so much for the offer, but I'm afraid your old harness, like mine, is the female connector. The male connector is in the fuse box at the inside fender. It's the male spade/stud that I'm looking for, it could even be from a seat belt harness. Actually, now that I think of it, I'm due a pair of Cobra Misano CF seats in the middle of Oct. I'll have no use for my power seat harness, so I'll just snag one of these connectors.....unless anyone else may have one so I don't thrash my seat harness.

Thank you kindly sir.

Jaime
Old 09-29-2006, 12:38 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Update:

Well, it's all done! Was waiting on that last male spade connector and Geoffrey sent me an old 10-pin connector that I dissected and pulled out one and soldered it in. My first solderings looked like bird droppings.....but I got the hang of it and now I'm ready to do any soldering!

Car runs great! Overall took about 12hrs to do. Just a bit tedious, and lots of patience as you snake the wires thru the old path. Kinda hard on the back.

Tip: Raise the rear up as high as you can to avoid bending over so much. Your back will thank you.

Note: I did NOT need to remove the intake manifold as the directions suggest. If I can do it.....YOU can do it too! OH, my favorite tool was my 10 year old daughter whom has the right size hands This was also a great time to take out those plastic diverters and install those beautiful EVO billet ones I bought recently.

Hope this help someone....Thanks to all whom came thru with tips/parts/suggestions

Jaime
Old 09-29-2006, 01:22 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear the good news, even better that you did it yourself!

Quick Reply: WTF! Fuel pouring from my exhaust!!