Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60-130 MPH: New performance measurement!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Geoffrey,

No this is a spare FVD engine I have. If my other engine had these results I would have been on a plane to California already
Old 04-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jean
Geoffrey,

No this is a spare FVD engine I have. If my other engine had these results I would have been on a plane to California already
Hi
I am sure for that and I would come with you to help you

Konstantin
Old 04-16-2005, 11:37 AM
Stummel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm:
8.9 sec. - jean's light 2wd with (probably) the 550 hp fvd engine with mechanical rockers
versus
8.7 sec. - Bill's 4wd stock weight turbo r with '490' hp

says a lot about the quality of the ruf package, even if Bill's car is exceptionally fast and conditions were not the same

PS:
Jean, i do not want to blame fvd or your car and i know this is only your spare engine and it is faster than most cars on the forum and that there is a lot more to come...

it is just that the ruf package is less expensive and less maintenance than a fvd 550hp engine with race cats and installation and seems to me the more balanced solution for the street/autobahn ;-)
Old 04-16-2005, 12:25 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Worth bearing in mind for Jean's car, whilst it is very light, how wide are the wheels/tyres and the extended bodywork and wings. Whilst all very attractive and no doubt advantageous at the track they must make a big difference to the 60-130mph time compared to a stock bodywork 993tt with stock wheels and tyres, particularly as speed rises.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Konstantin, good to see you back from your trip around the world

Stummel, for the contrary, it is a very good observation. I have no interest in defending FVD, but I thought the performance was impressive in light of the way the engine is running.. and 37 degrees C. of hot and humid (80 deg. humidity) air. Konstantin can vouch for how much the performance is hurt by our wheather during this period of the year already..

1- I have air and boost leaks in a few hoses that I did not fix because the engine is coming out as we speak to be replaced, it was dropped in the car only for a couple of weeks to tune suspension and search for cooler oil leaks and rubbing fenders.. I thought it was overboosting (see another thread) because under boost on 4th.. 4k+ RPM it is hesitating a lot and backfires. My bad, I should have said so when I posted earlier.

2- The weight of my car with 2 people is not too far off from a stock one with the driver. I have full roll cage, very large wheels/tires and a 35kgs (75lbs) sound system that I am also testing for quick on/off removal!

3- I filled up gas at the first gas station I found because I was running out of gas, a really crappy one. They are not regulated like in Europe, you can really be filling diesel without knowing.

There is easily another 0.5 sec if conditions were as they should, and I shifted as a good driver like Bill must have. This wa smy first spirited drive with this engine and I did not even know what the rev limiter was set at (it is 7,100 RPM)

Again, not defending FVD at all, just being transparent. Maybe not 550 hp, but definitely a very strong engine, I was very pleasantly surprised.

A RUF engine installed and checked by a competent mechanic must be definitely running very well.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my wing is set at the highest of 6 settings, most downforce. TB raised excellent points (as usual).. This car is really wide. my front tires are 265 MPSC and the rears 315 MPSC.. -2 degrees camber front and rear.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:03 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jean - Hurry up and get that Protomotive beast in there. Stop teasing us already.

I'd have to say the wheel tire combo and drag penalties from the bodywork definitely make a huge difference in straight line accelleration.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

Jean's saving the new engine for his 1000th post
Old 04-17-2005, 02:29 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmm. Now that I think about it...not a bad celebration for the 1000th post

In reality this has been much more difficult than expected. There is ZERO support and knowledge here and I have to be involved in everything myself, i.e. I cannot just tell the dealer remove this engine and put the other..as it needs extra fuel pumps, change in wiring harness to N/A, custom welding the exhaust etc.. so I have to be there myself before I go to the office every morning and I travel more often than I am at home unfortunately.

Just a few more days.. BTW I would like to manage expectations, this engine will be run at 1 Bar or below so it will be nowhere near our friend DKnebes' brute.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a chance to try 60 to 130 with just one shift. I started out in 3rd and shifted to 4th. Because the Ruf redline is 7200 RPM, I could reach 130 without having to shift into 5th. 70 degrees, driver only, 91 octane:

60 to 130 (one shift) = 7.4 seconds

Here's the video...

60 to 130 one shift
Old 04-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Woodster
Drifting

for most of us with std redline it is very simple (2) shifts, roll in 3rd gear and floor it,
shift to 4th and shift to 5th and hopefully in less than 10 seconds you see 130 mph sweep by.
I will try mine again this week (it poured rain on saturday in mpls). 7.4: now that is impressive!
what turbos does Alois use on your car??? What exhaust??
Old 04-20-2005, 12:24 AM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

I had a chance to try 60 to 130 with just one shift. I started out in 3rd and shifted to 4th. Because the Ruf redline is 7200 RPM, I could reach 130 without having to shift into 5th. 70 degrees, driver only, 91 octane:

60 to 130 (one shift) = 7.4 seconds

Can i get this with ruf conversion?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rinlv1
Can i get this with ruf conversion?
Yes. Turbo R 490 HP. You can do the engine only or engine and suspension.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woodster
what turbos does Alois use on your car??? What exhaust??
Turbos are Ruf's own design. Stock mufflers with Ruf catalytic converters.

My mufflers are stock with the baffling removed. That may gain a tenth of a second or so.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Stummel
Pro

Bill, do you know any other turbo-r conversion to compare your car to. it seems that it is very powerful. i would like to know if one can expect this or if it is just 'luck' ;-)

there is a test in german car mag (auto&motor&sport) of the turbo r with amazing performance numbers better than a F50!
Old 04-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stummel
Bill, do you know any other turbo-r conversion to compare your car to. it seems that it is very powerful. i would like to know if one can expect this or if it is just 'luck' ;-)

there is a test in german car mag (auto&motor&sport) of the turbo r with amazing performance numbers better than a F50!
The Turbo R is faster than an F50 and an F40, but not an Enzo. It's very close to a Carrera GT with 100 octane. You may be able to take another .4 seconds or so off my numbers with 100 octane.

I know only one other stock Turbo R. That did 128 MPH in the quarter. There's no reason that one Turbo R would be faster than another, given the engine mechanicals are in good condition. The computer controls the car's performance very carefully.

BTW, the only "negative" side effect of the Turbo R that I can tell (after over 20K miles) is a lumpy idle, much louder exhaust and increased emissions at idle. The car will pass CA smog, but it's very close at idle due to the aggressive cam.

Quick Reply: 60-130 MPH: New performance measurement!