Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60-130 MPH: New performance measurement!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:04 AM
Dknebes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you guys for real over here on the 993tt forum? I gave you the dyno numbers I gave you a video, I gave you the weight, now you go and buy the stop watch. The tach is lively and so is the car.
I am 54 and your right the engine may out live me. I know one 993tt at 1025 hp that can blow those numbers away, I will try and get him to do the run. Where can one run at these speeds in the U.S? Good question and it was 140mph not 130mph. CP can you see the speed clearly and human error. Ok it did 130 or 140mph in 6 or 5seconds. I will get speed verification from a Speedometer shop, I will get a new camera and the space shuttle crashed because of human error. I know we are just having fun here. Porsche There is no substitute.

David
Old 03-11-2005, 12:28 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Dknebes
I am 54 and your right the engine may out live me. I know one 993tt at 1025 hp that can blow those numbers away, I will try and get him to do the run. Where can one run at these speeds in the U.S? Good question and it was 140mph not 130mph. CP can you see the speed clearly and human error. Ok it did 130 or 140mph in 6 or 5seconds. I will get speed verification from a Speedometer shop, I will get a new camera and the space shuttle crashed because of human error.

David
David,

Sorry if my post offended you. That was not my intent. It's just that I see a speedo climbing rapidly, and after watching the video many times, I cannot honestly say I can tell when it crosses 60 MPH and 140 MPH. Whe I talk about human error, I did not mean that you posted the number of seconds that's in error (BillS actually posted it), it's just that I am fussy on the techique measuring the elapsed time. Hope this clears the air.

BTW, I'm 54 as well, and I'm sure my RUF engine will outlive me. At least I hope so, as I can't afford another rebuild.

CP

Last edited by CP; 03-11-2005 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:50 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

CP is right, a bit difficult to see the 60 mark, however by timing the 80-130/140 alone you can tell how fast that thing is going.

These gentlemen are posting documented quartermile times below 10 (9.7s actually) seconds and trap speeds of 145+ mph at the drag strip with radial tires. Most are stock weight or close to it by a 200lbs margin and are daily driven cars, the 993TT David mentions is even 4WD still. One can easily extrapolate that a 0-200kph is around 7/8 seconds. Longevity I don't know, sustainability of performance I don't think so, but nevertheless they run quartermiles all day long and most of them have been doing it for a while with the same engine.

Thanks for posting David, hope Joe and Dennis do the same.

Last edited by Jean; 03-11-2005 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:01 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at the boost level the accelaration seems to be fine. No reason for anyone to think this is not real ;-)
The engeine will last (if it is build right) but the clutch and the (stock) gearbox will not last long.
I would say about 2 hours on the track on full power. None stock Porsche gearbox can handle over 800 Nm on a race track for a long time.
Same for the new Gt2 gearbox.
If you run only 1.1 bar they will last for ever (at least the newer gear boxes)

Konstantin
Old 03-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Dknebes
Rennlist Member

CP, No offence taken like I said this is good fun. If I do the run again it will be on drag radials so I can start in second gear. I will also reposition the camera.

Konstantin, I am running a Tilton 3 plate carbon, carbon racing clutch that will hold 1450lb/ft of torque and a reworked G50 transmission. I normally do not run around town with $6.25/gal race gas with 22psi of boost the car will not hook up in second gear so you know what first will do. I also want the engine to last and stay out of jail.

The truth is, if I had to do it all over and was planning ahead, I would have started with a 993tt. Better suspension, 6 speed, awd, less lag and an airconditioner that works.

My mods
Complete Engine Rebuild (Essa Tech)
Heads ported & flowed (Dave Jarvis)
Engine Management Tec3-r Full Sequential
Twin Plug Heads
Custom Garretson Turbo Ceramic Ball bearing
3.2 Carrera Manifold
Custom Equal length Headers (Essa Tech)
95lb Injectors
Pauter Rods
Racing Valve Springs
O-ring Heads
Andial 3.4 Cylinders & Pistons 7.5/1
Custom Intake
Greddy b boost controller
Tial 46mm Wastegate
Aeromotive Eliminator Fuel Pump
Custom Intercooler Larger throttle body (Essa Tech)
High Strength ARP Cylinder Studs
High Strength ARP Rod Bolts
Custom grind Cams
Tilton 7.25" carbon, carbon 3 plate racing clutch 1400 lb-ft
Quaife Differential
Coilovers front and rear
Wide band A/f gauge
993 Big Reds
Borla XR-1

David
Old 03-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

David,

Hope you don't mind but I have a few questions..

How do you like the Greddy B EBC? Ease of use , reliabilty and installation
Why did you go with Aeromotive and not a Bosch 044 fuel pump for instance or two in series?
Also, did you have any bad experience with Sachs or GT2 pressure plates and sintered disks, if so what happened and how does a Tilton compare to it. Is your clutch driveable on the street, i.e. does it slip at all? .Price?
Thanks
Old 03-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Dknebes
Rennlist Member

Jean,
No problem, the Greddy is very easy to use three settings, high boost, low boost and another setting for sharpness. We tried the sharpness or whatever it’s called and saw little or no change. Could be because the wastegate was too small.

I had a Kep 3200lb pressure plate and GT2 disk (not sintered). It would hold with 570hp/rear but would let loose if slipped at all. There is no comparison to the Tilton. You can slip the carbon, carbon clutch and it will hold anything we can throw at it. It should be the last clutch that I need. The only difference is the length of engagement is about an inch and takes some practice but I am able to drive it with ease now. The Tilton is pricey at $3500.00 and you need a hyd T.O.B. and a flywheel. The cost adds up fast but so do engine removals and new clutches. The other 993tt That Essa built runs one with 1000hp and it works like a stock clutch, something to do with the master cylinder. The Aeromotive will supply enough fuel for 1100hp. I had to go to larger injectors and fuel lines because the car was going lean under boost

David
Old 03-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Default THAT IS ONE MEAN 930!

DAVID, THANKS FOR BRINGING THE CAR AND STORY TO OUR BOARD.
YES, THE TACH IS RUBBERY, BUT HOLY GO##AMN SH&%!! THAT CAR IS
ROCKET FAST--NO MATTER HOW YOU DO THE CALCULATIONS. I THINK YOU
ARE READY FOR THE SUPERCHARGED VIPER SHOWN IN THE VIDEO,
"BEYOND THE 1/4 MILE". IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE VIDEO, YOU NEED TO
BUY IT!, THESE GUYS IN NEW YORK ARE INSANE. THANKS FOR SHARING.
WHO BUILT THE TURBOCHARGER ??
Old 03-11-2005, 12:43 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean
David,

Hope you don't mind but I have a few questions..

How do you like the Greddy B EBC? Ease of use , reliabilty and installation
Why did you go with Aeromotive and not a Bosch 044 fuel pump for instance or two in series?
Also, did you have any bad experience with Sachs or GT2 pressure plates and sintered disks, if so what happened and how does a Tilton compare to it. Is your clutch driveable on the street, i.e. does it slip at all? .Price?
Thanks
The shop where I always work on my car has used the Greddy Profec line of boost controllers to great success. One of the easier to use units in a small and reasonable looking package.

I'll second Dknebes on the drivability of the Tilton Carbon/Carbon. I'm only using a twin disc but have the same outcome (short clutch travel but its easily drivable once you get used to it). I've driven the car through Houston traffic many times. Under a normal start you can slip the clutch quite a bit. However, if you are trying to slip a little during a drag race type launch then you can forget it.

Also one other thing to keep in mind is that the Tilton comes with two extra spacing plates. So if you do happen to somehow wear the carbon surfaces enough you still essentially have 2 rebuilds thrown in. After the cost of the custom flywheel, lines and throwout bearing the cost came out to around $5k.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Dknebes
Rennlist Member

Marty,

The turbo is a Garrett ceramic ball bearing built to Essa's spec's. That all that I know.

David
Old 03-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

David, Princeton,

Thanks for the information, I am in the middle of clutch decisions and do not want to get it wrong. Shipping is seriously expensive. The Tilton setup seems very interesting, I am going now with the cerametallic clutch still with the marcel springs between the facings for drivability and GT2 pressure plate. The Sachs seems not to hold on organic disks. Your car is a 2WD so a LWF will make a huge difference, unlike a 993TT with 4WD which will not benefit nearly as much. (Mine has been converted to 2WD)

The reason I was asking about the EBC is because the Profec A used to be great, but it seems that the Profec B doesn't let you set a real boost pressure. You have to set a percent gain function up and monitor the boost and adjust accordingly, reason why my builder does not like it, but I will get myself one.

Thanks for this great info.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:17 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean
David, Princeton,

The reason I was asking about the EBC is because the Profec A used to be great, but it seems that the Profec B doesn't let you set a real boost pressure. You have to set a percent gain function up and monitor the boost and adjust accordingly, reason why my builder does not like it, but I will get myself one.

Thanks for this great info.
Jean every body hates the profec B. They just came out with a new one that is simple like the old profec A. I don't haver the model handy but it has 3 ***** and one button. High boost/low boost and offset.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Tom, if you remember it please PM.
Best
Old 03-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Dknebes
Rennlist Member

Thats what I have it is the profec B and it works great very simple to use. 3 ***** high boost low boost and offset.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:43 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dknebes
Thats what I have it is the profec B and it works great very simple to use. 3 ***** high boost low boost and offset.
The newer profec B was a digital nightmare. It is not the same as yours. Sooo many people complained they came out with the Type S. It looks and acts like the older B model (like yours)

Jean thats the one you want. The type S in now on greddys web site.

Quick Reply: 60-130 MPH: New performance measurement!