Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Turbo "S" Scoops with LED Lights Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:01 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by agonzaga36
Hey Foxman,

My turbo scoop set with the hella lights didn't come with the white cables like yours. I need to source that cable, (1) what gauge is it? (2) can I just use any kind of cable (perhaps audio cable?) or it needs to be a specific kind?

Thanks

Sadly 911UK no longer includes the wires, just two male leads that can connect to either the square or round harness in your fog lamp housing. 18 gauge will do nicely (any wire will do), but here's a better wiring solution. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...o-s-ducts.html
Old 08-28-2016, 09:35 AM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob.Dingwall
Question though, I'm going to hook up the fogs to be my daytime running lights, anyone do this already or have an opinion?
I rewired my fog light switch so fogs can come on without headlights. If you leave the switch "on" they'll automatically come on when you start the car.

Details here https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...eadlights.html
Old 08-30-2016, 02:03 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default One Upsmanship!

Hi Jim,

Now that your old seats are on their way to me, I've got to step up my game a little to keep up with you. I already have the turbo scoops (5 years ago), but they are fitted with the original incandescent lights. My question is about how useful the LED's are in comparison to the old Shaw light which was slightly amiable and did provide some driving assistance at night. It does not appear that the LED's are focused or aimed. Is that true? If so, then other than giving a wonderful cosmetic lift to the car at night, how useful are they for lighting the road?

As you are aware, my car just came out of the paint shop where I had the nose and tail bumper covers resprayed to remove 10 years of stone bruises and one "oh-oh" when I backed into my garage door one day. At any rate, while at the paint shop, I had them remove the front bumperettes, fill the opening in the cover, and then resprayed the entire cover. It looks so much cleaner than those old bumpers. So, you'll need to do that to top me.

But, your sport seats are wonderful. Just not ready to do that one.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:59 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

LOL Ernie.

The LED's are merely position lights, they will not light up the roadway. There are a few threads here on folks retrofitting aftermarket lamps, but I haven't had time to pursue this.

Please post up some pics of your refreshed car when you can. I have a few of GMorats plugs as a temporary, and have the euro clears. But I can't wait to do a proper respray of the bumper and fill in those holes once and for all.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:45 AM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone has a pair of factory fogs in "road rash" condition that you want to part with, I would like to take a crack (no cracks please) at sanding the glass and restoring the units.

-or-

if anyone has a pair in really good condition, I would consider trading my S ducts with Hella Micro DE fogs and mesh covered brake inlet.

The following users liked this post:
msw (11-29-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 10:55 AM
alex.castillo
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default b u

Turbo Scoops with Hela Lights

Hela light kits include case, three gaskets, wire harness and 16 LED bulb

Run the female ends of the harness through two holes from the back and connect to outside leads.

Pry female ends open a bit with screwdriver, and secure over outside leads

Electrical tape to seal gaskets

Take a dry run installing the lamps before painting. If you slide one end under one of the two prongs and line everything up correctly, the other end will snap in with a little force.

Snap

Paint kit fromTouch Up Direct with Primer, Paint, Clear, gloves, and a moldy tack cloth

Scoops with four coats of paint (no clear yet)

Scoops done and ready to install. Time for a beer!

8 mm extended ratchet to remove the bumperettes.

Remove bumperette covers and remove the two screws to remove

Unscrew the phillips head screw holding in the fog light and remove the assembly

Fog light assembly comes out with a little pull

Turbo scoops fit in perfectly. Secure light harness to wire for daytime running lights and cover securely with electrical tape.

Before on the left, after on the right. Better looking, brighter, and lighter!

Al done with bumperettes back on

Form and function - time for a new project!

What gauge of wire did you use? I just got the same set and found out it didnt come with them.
The Eagle (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 11:42 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist Alex. You could use either 14 or 16 gauge wire without issue.

To add to Foxman's great post I would recommend following up with centerpunch's mod to control your fog lights without the need to have the headlights on. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...eadlights.html
Old 11-25-2019, 11:46 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by alex.castillo

Form and function - time for a new project!

Dump the bumps!

Old 11-26-2019, 03:30 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts

<Ignore. Saw the Type911 site and already ordered.> Where does one get these Hella kits? It is exactly what I am looking for!

Last edited by jdrake; 11-26-2019 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Got answer to my question.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:36 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdrake
<Ignore. Saw the Type911 site and already ordered.> Where does one get these Hella kits? It is exactly what I am looking for!
For anyone else interested, here’s the updated Link to Type911 for the ducts and/or Hella Lights. Happy trails.
gregorytate (05-21-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 04:23 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Reviving an old thread here, i just ordered these for my C2S and wondering if there is a way to have them without the LED, i don't think it matches the rest of the lights and looks too modern for the 993- can i just install a normal yellow bulb instead without hacking and all that? Thanks
Old 06-08-2020, 06:05 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Reviving an old thread here, i just ordered these for my C2S and wondering if there is a way to have them without the LED, i don't think it matches the rest of the lights and looks too modern for the 993- can i just install a normal yellow bulb instead without hacking and all that? Thanks
Yes the Hella units will take a festoon bulb as used in the interior lights but light output will be much lower. As I run hids in the headlights (Morimoto+

ToreB's) the colour balance is much better with leds. I have fitted 2 bulbs in the Hellas, one for drls the other as a parking light.
Tarek307 (06-08-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 12:02 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I finally did this mod. I ordered the aftermarket ones from Type911 UK (very quick shipping, by the way) & I had some paint & clear from Touch-Up Direct that seems to match pretty good.

Thanks, Foxman, for the original write up!

Old 06-14-2020, 04:46 PM
grazingcow
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice work, excellent beer choice!
Old 06-14-2020, 11:09 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Tarek307, have a look at these HID headlights from Bergvill FX. They will transform your headlights and make driving at night a pleasure. And they match the LED lamps on the Turbo Ducts.

Quick Reply: Turbo "S" Scoops with LED Lights Installed!