Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Turbo "S" Scoops with LED Lights Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 10:55 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 307 Posts

Mine were definitely not a White that would have matched a PCar White. I did mine when I had the bumper refreshed last April.... Here's abetter picture with them installed.
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2016, 01:39 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Has anyone tried the Polar silver "92M" from Touchupdirect? My car's paint code is L92M, so I assume it is the same, but wondered if anyone can confirm from experience that it is a good color match.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:21 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Has anyone tried the Polar silver "92M" from Touchupdirect? My car's paint code is L92M, so I assume it is the same, but wondered if anyone can confirm from experience that it is a good color match.
I had a body shop do the paint work for me. $150 and it was done. Some of the rattle can kits cost almost $75. For $75 more its worth having a pro do it.
Just my .02.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:23 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911F1
I had a body shop do the paint work for me. $150 and it was done. Some of the rattle can kits cost almost $75. For $75 more its worth having a pro do it.
Just my .02.
Good point. Especially considering that I will likely have my whole bumper repainted soon anyway, at which time they can fill the bumperette notches and license plate holes too.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:07 PM
Mark Knop
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys are going to do it and repaint your bumpers, get rid of those stupid bumpers, and center bar. So much nicer.
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2016, 05:42 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark Knop
If you guys are going to do it and repaint your bumpers, get rid of those stupid bumpers, and center bar. So much nicer.
To each his own. I don't have a problem with the center bar(s). In fact I like them.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:57 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

Touch Up Direct carries the Polar Silver for just $24.99 (scroll to bottom on the attached link). You can use your own primer and clear coat lying around - much more cost effective. https://touchupdirect.com/touch-up-p...&tud_year=1996

There is something to be said, however, for having it done professionally. While I enjoy the DIY, I didn't lay enough clear coat down on the arctic silver scoops and they have some hair line cracks. If you lay the clear coat on too heavy, however, you will get runs. I've got the technique down now, and the zenith blue scoops came out perfectly in just a half hour. You can always media blast them or simply sand them down and repaint if you screw up.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:58 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Some could also say get rid of the stupid C2 bumper, and install a turbo unit...
To each their own, for sure.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:00 PM
Mark Knop
Banned

To each his own. I don't have a problem with the center bar(s). In fact I like them.
Looking at your list of cars you've owned, you've never owned a car with the center bar. Just saying, and yes you have way more money than me.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:04 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Looking at you list of cars you've owned, you've never owned a car with the center bar. Just saying, and yes you have way more money than me.
Maybe I used to have more money than you. But I spent it all on those freaking cars! LOL
I don't think I need to own something to have an opinion on its appearance.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:19 PM
Mark Knop
Banned

Maybe I used to have more money than you. But I spent it all on those freaking cars! LOL
I don't think I need to own something to have an opinion on its appearance.
I know, I'm just being a smart ***. But I will say since I've owned my car for close to 20 years that cross member has always been an eye sore to me personally. Grant you, the purist hate my ***. Hell I've got the Fabspeed cup exhaust, I think I pretty much annoy everyone and then, others have this look of WOW. In the past week people are shocked that the car is 20 years old, and people thought it was new.

From my experience the 993 is timeless.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:41 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Some could also say get rid of the stupid C2 bumper, and install a turbo unit...
To each their own, for sure.
I can't decide on the Turbo bumper for my car. I like the look and I would buy a Euro bumper from Carnewal most likely. But, on the other hand. I kinda feel like I would have a C2 with a C2S/Turbo bumper. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Still deciding...
Old 01-20-2016, 08:25 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
I can't decide on the Turbo bumper for my car. I like the look and I would buy a Euro bumper from Carnewal most likely. But, on the other hand. I kinda feel like I would have a C2 with a C2S/Turbo bumper. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Still deciding...
My black C4 had a turbo bumper with bumperette delete from a PO. I really like the look of the turbo bumper on all 993's, WB or NB. You can see a photo of that car at post #80 in this thread. The lines on the turbo bumper and three vents vs. one large vent just look better IMHO. And staying on thread, the turbo scoops and turbo bumper really seem to compliment one another. Even if you're a purist, I don't think anyone will look askance at a bumperette delete with a turbo bumper.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:40 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 511 Posts

I've got a turbo bumper and the led fog/scoops on a narrow body. Personally I like the look much better than the normal barrow body front. To each their own I guess.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:42 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

I recently ordered the Turbo S scoops from Type911UK and a set of Euro corner lights off eBay ($65/pair) and everything fits nicely. I am using ToreB's LEDs in the corner lights, and the 16 LED array bulbs that came with the Turbo S scoops, which I'm going to use as Daytime Running lights like others on this thread. I temporarily wired things up today, including removal of relay 31 and jumpering between terminals 30 and 87, and things work the way I want. With the fog light switch left in the on position, the DRLs come on automatically with ignition being turned on, and stay on with parking and headlight operation. The LED DRLs look good with ToreB's 4300K HIDs I installed last week.

Unlike others here, my light fixtures from Type911UK only came with bulbs and 2 small spade tips, no wire or female clips to attach to the light bulb terminals. Luckily I had some clips and wire to make up the harnesses. To seal the wires where they exit through the rubber grommets in the base of the fixtures, rather than electrical tape, I used some 3M strip caulk that I've had for about 20 years from another project. It works great by just pressing it into the voids around the wires.

Instead of inserting the supplied spade tips into the connectors from the car (which works fine), I'd prefer to have a proper connector, ideally one that would engage with the round factory connector coming from the car (for the fog light). Has anyone sourced a connector that mimics the one built into the old fog light housings? It would be round, about 1/2" diameter, with 2 small male tips to engage the round female connector from the car.

An alternative would be to buy matched connector pairs and replace the existing connector from the car, but like many others, I'd prefer not to cut off the factory connector.

Many thanks to everyone on this thread, especially Foxman who started it. It made this modification so much easier not having to do all the research from scratch. Love this forum.
Attached Images  

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 01-26-2016 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Added photo

Quick Reply: Turbo "S" Scoops with LED Lights Installed!