Got rear-ended yesterday ... :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got rear-ended yesterday ... :(

To be brief (which is rare for me) . . . yesterday I was at a stop light waiting for it to change behind two other vehicles. It had been red for about thirty seconds. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a red truck approaching at a fast rate of speed, and not slowing down. He slammed into the rear of my car, and my car then went underneath the car in front of me, even though I was about a car length behind the car.

It was horrific and I am in a ton of pain, but just bruises and swelling and a few scrapes. The truck that rear-ended me (looked it up) weighs 4800 pounds plus driver. Below are the results. Porsche saved my life. I am not kidding. I don't know details about my baby until the adjuster comes Monday or Tuesday. I am injured, but I am grateful to have invested in such a safe car. Bless you, Ferry Porsche.

This is what I had to look at while awaiting paramedics:

Name:  view.jpg
Views: 2532
Size:  29.8 KB

This is a pic one of the firefighters took for me:

Name:  rear.jpg
Views: 2436
Size:  39.0 KB

This is the front view:

Name:  front.jpg
Views: 2503
Size:  67.7 KB

Because I track this car, I have a FIA-rated leather with carbon fiber Recaro Pole Position seat that was installed by a professional. The impact was so hard that one of the bolts sheered off the rails. The driver at fault is the red truck to the right of my car in the pictures. His claim was he "looked away for a second." Bullcrap. He was texting I bet. That light was red for a while.
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry that the extrication photo is small . . . I will see if I can find a larger copy.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:40 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 310 Posts

Dude- thank God you're ok. That's a hell of a hit. In the end it's just another piece of metal.

My wife got slammed into years ago and the insurance company tried to buy us off with a payment for future medical bills- don't do that. Who knows what could come - back or neck injuries show up years later.
Good luck
Old 05-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been rear-ended at a stop light as well, though certainly not at this magnitude or severity. There is nothing worse that seeing that car quickly approaching in the rear view mirror and realizing there is nothing that you can do in that moment to avoid the impact that is about to happen.

Its good to hear you're alright (for the most part) and horrible to see the state that you're 993 is in. I'm guessing the insurance will consider it totaled (or try to). Do you have fixed value (or agreed upon value) insurance? If not, you might want to start collecting comps from recent 993 sales on ebay and elsewhere to determine its fair market value. It will certainly be well above KBB. Also gather up and receipts of major work that you've had done on the car to layer on so your valued on the high side of the comp range.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 203 Posts

glad to hear your relitively ok. Take time to heal, and sock the bastard at fault for all you can.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Better view of car and extrication:

Name:  extrication2.jpg
Views: 2438
Size:  104.1 KB
Old 05-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

My husband looked up his property on the county property tax assessor's page. The dude is RENTING a home that has a value of $38,000.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:53 PM
SC2993
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

You took a hard hit, glad that you are in OK shape from that one! Looks like it could have been a lot worse for you, did you brace for impact when you saw the truck approaching?
Old 05-03-2014, 06:17 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SC2993
You took a hard hit, glad that you are in OK shape from that one! Looks like it could have been a lot worse for you, did you brace for impact when you saw the truck approaching?
Bracing is actually one of the worst things you can do in an accident as your muscles tighten up and are more likely to tear, etc.

Sorry to hear about the accident but glad you are OK. From the looks of it your 993 is totaled... On the bright side you do get to go 993 shopping!
Old 05-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Crap Bonnie, that sucks. Really scary. I'm glad you are (relatively) Ok! I think I agree that you probably won't be getting that car back. PCA does a valuation thing that will be good info for your insurance claim. On a positive note: You get to start shopping for another 993! I love your license plate! Go Gators!
Old 05-03-2014, 06:21 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Really sorry to see this, she looks like a beauty, but glad you are okay. I had the car out today and twice watched people slam on brakes behind me because they were not paying attention. The average driver is a distracted imbecile.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:13 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Glad you're okay (for the most part), sorry about the car, my worst fear when I'm out in mine. I have no doubt he was texting - saw three people just today texting and driving. The quicker they stiffen the penalties for this the better.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

**** Bonnie, I'm so sorry to see this. The car will be totaled, but glad you walked away. Take your time on the medical stuff. Some back issues can surface after your initial healing. But, I hope you end up ok in time. Take it easy and heal yourself. The car stuff will sort out.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Usually they look at phone records these days. Hope the idiot gets legal grief over this.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by certz
The average driver is a distracted imbecile.
So true

Quick Reply: Got rear-ended yesterday ... :(