Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got rear-ended yesterday ... :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:20 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry if I offend anyone, but DO NOT TRUST THEIR INSURANCE AGENT! Not even sure if you should trust yours. Their whole existance is to take your premium and then coward or hide when you try and make a claim. Dealt with lots of them and been to many depo's. Get estimates from PCA appraisals or equivalent. DO NOT LET THEM bully you into taking anything less than what you know your car is worth. He may not have money but if he was insured, the insurance company does. Get angry and go get them! :-)
Old 05-04-2014, 12:23 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the continued advice. I actually still have the print up of when the blue car was for sale here on Rennlist. I can add that to my file. I keep good records.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:25 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Boosted . . . would you like a plane ticket to Florida? Lol. Yes, you and the others here have given me the courage to not accept less than what should be coming to me. I know I have suffered from pain and all, but really I just want my car back. I am gonna put up a fight for sure.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:44 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bonster
Boosted . . . would you like a plane ticket to Florida? Lol. Yes, you and the others here have given me the courage to not accept less than what should be coming to me. I know I have suffered from pain and all, but really I just want my car back. I am gonna put up a fight for sure.
If I was retired I would, just to make sure it's investigated/documented correctly. When I retire I will be an insurance investigator that the frauds will not like at all :-)
I hate the way the sytem screws all of us that work our whole lives just to get by, while those who don't just skate. If you have any questions and I think I can help, I will. Don't hesitate to ask.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:47 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

He should be counting his blessings. If he did that to me and my car, I could still function and he had a poor attitude, he may have had an extended hospital stay at the least.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Lol. I may have been in jail had I not been told by the paramedics to stay put till they could get me a c-collar and back board to extricate me. I bet I could have just climbed out, but they didn't wanna risk it, which is totally understandable. I wanted to clobber that dude.

Please send me your phone number to sonpca AT att DOT net. I may just give ya a jingle. In fact, there's a good chance I will. You and someone else (I think on Facebook) has offered help. I can use all the help I can get. I wanna not just go in swinging, I wanna land some punches.

Thanks for your guys' continued support! As always, you are just so awesome to me. I don't know what I would do without this group. Well, other than perhaps quit drinking. Lol.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:03 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 462 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
BTW, I paid $24,500 with 78k on clock. I paid less than the asking because the number five cylinder pressure was low. Cost me $7k to fix (I went ahead and had them just do the works while in there - all new and cleaned everything). Then the AC quit and I paid about $3500 for that. And the tires alone are $1000. I have those coveted hard back Sport seats that my friend Rudy said were easily worth $7k. So yeah . . . I need ammo folks. I will owe you.
It doesn't matter what you paid for it, all that matters is current value. Be aware that the settlement process is often negotiable. They may offer you a figure, but if you are not happy with it and can provide some rationale as to why your number is more accurate, they will often revise the initial settlement offering. Point out your mods, etc. Frankly, in spite of the animosity many express for insurance companies, I have always found the settlements to be fair, from my own experience.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:11 AM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh my god! Good thing you are ok. In these time we realize our car are precious... But our live an health are way more important.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:53 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

That is painful to look at! Hopefully any injuries will not be long lasting and you get a fair settlement. She was a beautiful car.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:33 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

He saved my life. I owe it to him to save his if I can. I hope Blupurr sees the street and track again. I really do. Thanks ya'll for your kind words of support and advice.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:48 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SC2993
did you brace for impact when you saw the truck approaching?
Not really. I have raced, so I have been to school. While I did the both feet in, I did cross my hands over my shoulders and tried to sit up straight. At the time he impacted me, I recall cupping my hands over the tops of my shoulders and burying my head into my chest area above breast bones, basically resting my head atop the criss-cross my wrists made across my chest. Seems to have worked out okay. I had not changed out the race seat yet. Kinda glad now I did not.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 203 Posts

Bonnie, what you paid for the car, and what you have invested into it with maintenance/mods...means little in today's market. Unless you have been following FS threads, and looking at on-line listings, then today's going rate for our beloved 993's will absolutely stun you.

List out your model year, color,options, mileage, etc...then significant maintenance/mods. Car could be priced both stock, and in existing pre accident condition. Even 100K mile C2's can easily bring high $30"s in todays market.

No shortage of help from rennlisters here...you wouldn't have to do it all on your own.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

http://web.pca.org/index.cfm?event=p...e.porschevalue
Old 05-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Wow, Bonnie, sorry to see this. Hope insurance makes you whole.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:48 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune but glad to hear that you "walked" away from the accident. I had a similar accident in the spring of 2011 while stopped at a light. My car needed to the stretched out as part of the repair process. The repair cost was ~$16,000. You took a way bigger lick. It is a well known fact that the dazzling beauty of the Iris Blue 993 is what distracts the drivers, not their cell phones. It was the second time my 993 had to be stretched out. The first time was a single vehicle accident in July of 2000 when the car had a mere 89,000 miles on the odometer. I experienced snap over steer, overcorrected and hit a light pole going backwards at ~40 mph. Even that impact looked to be less than what your car took. Besides bending the car and ruining all of the sheet metal in the rear it cracked the transmission housing. The bill for that repair was $45,000! I had a stated value policy with Chubb and the car was still insured for its' purchase price. My photos of that accident are analog and buried somewhere. Here's the photo from my second accident. Again, the important thing is that you walked away and are recovering from the "accident".
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Got rear-ended yesterday ... :(