Sponsored by:

Got rear-ended yesterday ... :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of curiosity ... those who have been in a similar incident ... I have bruising/abrasions from my left shoulder to about the spot on my chest with swelling below the collar bone but above . . . well . . . my breast (blush); I have pain below the left breast on the ribs, but no bruising; I have a huge bruise that is still swollen on the outside of my upper left arm; my right knee is a little bruised and abraded and a little swollen. Those are the obvious ugly spots. If you roll over in bed the wrong way, it hurts. Other than this it's just the normal shaken up type pain. I think the race seat saved me from whiplash, as its back is considerably taller than even the hard back Sport seats.

Anyway . . . happy Sunday . . . booooorrrrring without my Blupurr.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:08 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Out of curiosity ... those who have been in a similar incident ...
Did you go to the hospital immediately after the accident for x-rays and a check-up. (may already have been mentioned...did not read every single post)

Depending on the location, that needs to be done within 24 or 48 hours of the accident.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:09 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep tabs on any swelling that gets warm to the touch. I have broken ribs and did not know or realize, if that happens there's not much you can do other than NOTHING. I'll send an email that you can send any questions to. That's usually the easiest way to get in touch with me. Get some rest. Tell your husband that he needs to be your servant for the next 6-8 weeks. :-)
Old 05-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Magdaddy

List out your model year, color,options, mileage, etc...then significant maintenance/mods. Car could be priced both stock, and in existing pre accident condition. Even 100K mile C2's can easily bring high $30"s in todays market.

No shortage of help from rennlisters here...you wouldn't have to do it all on your own.
Okay ... first off, it was a special order car. Original owner lived in Canada so it has that cool Canadian tag thingee inside the door (eh? Lol). The car came with heated, power hard back (carbon fiber) Sport seats, Cup II rims, leather seats, leather trim, leather back area, hifi (?) stereo with the six speakers, the immobilizer system, and not sure if this is stock but there's a six-disc CD changer in the trunk.

It is a six speed manual, Iris Blue Metallic with dark grey interior (Rudy Mancinas told me it is not marble), the windshield has the sunscreen strip. Of course AC/heater - which I recently paid $3500 so it would actually act like a decent AC, not the infamous units of popularity among air-cooleds.

As far as after I purchased the car . . . I had the entire exhaust side rebuilt. At the PPI, there was low compression in the number five valve. Turned out the valve guide was bent. I being the nut that I am about cars, decided that while the engine is out, might as well do everything we can now to prevent issues later. So all of the seals were replaced, belts, you name it. The cylinders were honed (I think that was the word), the stupid engine pad (that always falls down) was replaced. And the good old test, according to my guru . . . he checked the infamous spark plug number 12. It was in decent shape, which told him the car had been well maintained for the most part. So he replaced all that stuff, too . . . caps, rotors, plugs, fluids, everything. I basically wanted it to be as fresh as possible. Spent around $7500 but well worth not on the sense of security, but whoooo baby it has a lot more torque now!

As far as saftey mods . . . it has Pagid orange pads (no big), OEM drilled rotors (another no big deal), a leather, FIA-rated Recaro Polo Position seat with the Recaro side mounts and the Cobra universal type sliders, Brey-Kraus harness bar, Willans belts, Yokohama Advan AD08 tires, PSS9s, RS clutch and flywheel . . . I think I got everything. No, it does not have an LSD. I wish! I did just put new CV boots (four) on and there was no sign of where on the joints and bearings.

So there's your guys' description to the best of my memory. The car has about 107,500 and yes, it has been tracked and autocrossed. But my maintenance is meticulous. I change ALL fluids every year, period. Even the transaxle fluid (gear box and tranny are one sump, right?). I don't use the cheap stuff, either. Redline shock . . .. something for the gear box/diff, Motul brake fluid, Mobil 1 motor oil . . . that kind of stuff.

The car has a little bit of "sand blasting" on the hood, but no dents. There was a what I call Walmart dent on the driver door (someone decided my door was a good place to leave their freakin' cart). I don't recall much of anything else wrong cosmetically.

Is that a good enough description? Please tell me if there's anything else I need to be including. I don't want a GT or something outrageous out of this deal . . . I just want what is fair. Thanks, guys.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Did you go to the hospital immediately after the accident for x-rays and a check-up. (may already have been mentioned...did not read every single post)

Depending on the location, that needs to be done within 24 or 48 hours of the accident.
Yup. Got to ride on a back board in the ambulance. Wee. Had a CT of neck and an Xray of the area where I had back surgery (implant for fusion in L5S1) last December. Thanks for mentioning it though. Not everybody realizes this.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Tell your husband that he needs to be your servant for the next 6-8 weeks. :-)
Pshaw! Lol. He didn't even do that when I had surgery. I had back surgery December 19th. Guess who made Christmas dinner? Lol. He is a great guy, just totally missed out on the empathy gene.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:39 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I'll send an email that you can send any questions to. That's usually the easiest way to get in touch with me. Get some rest. )
Thanks . . . have not gotten it yet, but I figure you're busy. In case you didn't write it down it is: sonpcaATattDOTnet. I will have no issue with resting - they gave me super Vicodin -- 325/10 hydrocodone. Can you say horse tranquilizer? Lol. That and I am taking ibuprofen.

You guys wanna know what the kind of sickening irony of this all is? I am our local (Sonnenschein) region's safety officer. Sheesh - is their no end to my twisted sense of humor?
Old 05-04-2014, 01:47 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about your accident. Thank goodness you were able to walk away from that relatively unscathed. I had a similar, but much less severe, accident with my '87 Carrera about a year ago. Got hit from behind by a small SUV while at a light and was pushed into the car in front of me. The impact made me lift up and out of my seat and I hit my head on the roof of the car. Luckily I wasn't injured but my car was banged up pretty badly - to the tune of $16K in damage. It certainly didn't look like that much damage, but OEM parts and SF Bay Area shop rates add up quickly. I was really worried my insurance company would use KBB or some other low valuation and write off the car. Luckily they used real-world values and the car was fixed up by the shop of my choice - it looks better than it did before the accident.

Best of luck getting your body healed and your baby back on the road.

Some photos of my accident and the repair work:

Name:  FMiawMTl.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  mmbUleSl.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  sgQsOFol.jpg
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  GWJulf6l.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  64.2 KB

Name:  IBX91dKl.jpg
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  Zn8bqLQl.jpg
Size:  56.5 KB

Back home!

Name:  IRaIKRnl.jpg
Size:  75.3 KB
Old 05-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Bonster- Really sorry to hear of you experiencing my biggest nightmare. You are in a big-time negotiation here and if the guy with the truck has any insurance at all, I hate to say this...you need a good lawyer.

I would not venture out in the world you are in right now, in the condition you are in right now, without one. Just my $.02.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Also, I am curious about the Recaro seat mounting bolt failure mode.

Which seat mounting bolt broke? Chassis to slider, slider to side plate or side plate to seat?

Did the bolt itself break or did the area the bolt threaded into fail?

Was the seat mounted with 4 or 8 bolts slider to chassis?

Do you know the grade of bolts used?

Thanks, trying to learn how to best mount my own Recaro seats here.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:49 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

I wonder if the police report even analyzes the prime cause of the incident (I don't call anything that is avoidable, an accident), or if they are just too uninterested. If the driver was texting, will they search his usage record?
Old 05-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I am doing this from memory, Cupcar, but I am pretty sure it was right front slider to side plate. I will need to get pics of it. I could not really move much to see it clearly. From where I was sitting, it looked like the bolt sheered off. They were high grade . . . don't remember grade number now. And don't remember the number of bolts we used. I will be sure and get back to you about this, as I know how important it is to have the safest scenario possible. That seat prevented whiplash big time. And I was just in the stock belts (I don't cruise around wearing my six point harness, lol). The adjuster is supposed to be coming by the tow yard tomorrow or Tuesday. I will try and get you the info you need so that you can build the beefiest there can be.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:55 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Also, I am curious about the Recaro seat mounting bolt failure mode.

Which seat mounting bolt broke? Chassis to slider, slider to side plate or side plate to seat?

Did the bolt itself break or did the area the bolt threaded into fail?

Was the seat mounted with 4 or 8 bolts slider to chassis?

Do you know the grade of bolts used?

Thanks, trying to learn how to best mount my own Recaro seats here.
Can't say for sure if that was the case, but for the most part when a bolt is "sheared off" it was likely from movement/play. When they're tight W/O play it's rare for them to shear. If it was over torqued and weaked, it may have been ready to snap off and the collision forces finished it off.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

The cop didn't seem to care. He asked the guy about it, the guy claimed he only looked away for a second, and the cop wrote down the response. I asked them how the man could have only looked down for a second when the light had been red for at about thirty seconds and that five cars had already cleared the intersection, but they just wrote everything down. All they told me was that the man was cited for the accident - they didn't tell me what for. I suppose I can look it up?

I guess I would have to have been dead for them to give a rat's rip. But that's what lawyers are for, according to several suggestions here. We are gonna wait to see what the claims adjuster says first. I am hoping I don't have to get a lawyer, but thanks to the outstanding advice in this thread, I know I will be getting one if the suckers try to low ball me. I am no genius, but I know a LOT about 993s and learn more about them all the time - I know when someone is feeding me garbage. I am the "993 Whisperer", after all.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Can't say for sure if that was the case, but for the most part when a bolt is "sheared off" it was likely from movement/play. When they're tight W/O play it's rare for them to shear. If it was over torqued and weaked, it may have been ready to snap off and the collision forces finished it off.
Absolutely. That's why I said I cannot be sure now what it was from. I couldn't really get a good eyeball on it. I definitely felt movement where there wasn't before, and it was from the right front portion of the rail. In true racing, as opposed to DE, you have a seat back brace attached to your roll cage. This car is just a track rat . . . for now.

Also bear in mind that when this all happened, I was pretty out of it. I was screaming and crying and completely off my rocker. So it's best for me to wait on further answers regarding specifics like bolts and seats and stuff for later. But I will definitely make sure I relay the information. Even if it was my fault - maybe I should check the bolts more frequently or something - I will report my findings so that it doesn't happen to someone else if possible.

Quick Reply: Got rear-ended yesterday ... :(